This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    You're right, Tek_heretik, and that is what is scaring MS and its 3rd party lackeys to death. My son, who manages programmers why I retired from, just got a new laptop from System76, with Ubuntu pre-installed. We are going to have a Kubuntu installation party this Saturday!
    Wish I could be at your place this weekend! I'm surrounded by Microsoft fans who work for the school district. You'd think with all the cutbacks California is making in their school system they would start looking at cheaper technology alternatives but, no, they would rather shut school down and cut employees than wake up.
    BSIT Software Engineering
    " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      I'm afraid you are right. A company with that many $Billions in liquid cash isn't going to die quickly. Today, MS met and exceeded analysts predictions for earnings, but that is a game of manipulation they are very good at playing, and have been for a long time.

And will for the foreseeable future. Win7 is a "super XP" which most people have gotten very comfortable with. It is more compatible with legacy programs and doesn't require retraining to learn or a touch display to use.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Win7 is a "super XP" which most people have gotten very comfortable with. It is more compatible with legacy programs and doesn't require retraining to learn or a touch display to use.
        You are right on the money with that one, just like XP, there will be a 'support extension', was thinking that a while back already.

Comment

Personally I have no issues with a large software company showing the world how it's done.
          Microsoft Windows is the desktop to beat, so far still no problem.

I do have a problem with the way they have and are forcing OEM's to refuse to sell hardware without OS and HW manufacturers to not supply the required interfaces for other than MS OS'es.

Also I see an unhealthy link between the OS and Office division, itneeds to be broken up.

Comment

Well written, Teunis.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              I do have a problem with the way they have and are forcing OEM's to refuse to sell hardware without OS and HW manufacturers to not supply the required interfaces for other than MS OS'es.
              Absolutely.

This is one of the areas where the EU can actually do us some good. Small government isn't going to stand up to a company with loads of cash like Microsoft, it takes a large state to be strong enough to resist the influence of large corporations and rule that such practices are illegal.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of baggage that comes with a large state. Personally, I'd rather lose money through the inefficiency that goes with the public sector and have it go into employees' pockets, than lose an equivalent amount of money to the private sector and have it creamed off by the CEO of some evil corporation.

Feathers
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I was dismayed to find out some of the cooler features of my new car's bluetooth required a Windows phone. I wonder how much MS had to pay Chrysler for that little promo. Fortunately, the uses I actually need - like my phone call history and dialing directory - worked right after the first software update. Likely, someone pointed out to some Chrysler wonk that no one actual uses Windows phones - just the celebs in the commercials!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  I was dismayed to find out some of the cooler features of my new car's bluetooth required a Windows phone. I wonder how much MS had to pay Chrysler for that little promo. Fortunately, the uses I actually need - like my phone call history and dialing directory - worked right after the first software update. Likely, someone pointed out to some Chrysler wonk that no one actual uses Windows phones - just the celebs in the commercials!
                  No kidding. I'm amazed that some engineer actually thought it was a good idea to limit functions to a small user base. It seems kind of backwards to me since we are all aware of how hardware companies all focus on development to support Microsoft since the are the primary desktop (for now) then we see this kind of thing roll out of auto manufacturers who know that Android is the primary mobile device software. Makes me wonder who's getting the kickback?
                  BSIT Software Engineering
                  " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

Originally posted by Roguehorse View Post
                    No kidding. I'm amazed that some engineer actually thought it was a good idea to limit functions to a small user base.
                    Imagine, for a moment, that cars could dock with netbooks running Windows. Nobody patches Winodws! OMFG! With that Typhoid Mary of an OS controlling zillions of cars, it'll be CARnage (yuk yuk) on the highways! So, instead, $CAR-MFGR only docks with netbooks running Linux. Linux is much less of an attacker target. Ah, now we can relax.

Shall we rephrase the above?

Imagine, for a moment, that cars could dock with phones running Android. Nobody patches Android! OMFG! With that Typhoid Mary of a mobile OS controlling zillions of cars, it'll be CARnage (yuk yuk) on the highways! So, instead, $CAR-MFGR only docks with phones running Windows. Malware on Windows phones is practically nonexistent. Ah, now we can relax.

/punk'd
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 04, 2013, 02:08 AM. Reason: typoos

Comment

Heh. Good point.

On a serious note, if we ever move to cars that are fully computer controlled, then the software had better be free (libre!!).

I don't want any nasties hidden in the software that could kill me, and I wouldn't accept driving a computer controlled car if it meant I (/we) had less freedom to instruct them to do what I (/we) wanted, by altering the software.

Feathers
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Cars have already been hacked to a degree. Fortunately in my case - windows is limited to blue tooth attached to my radio and steering wheel buttons. Actually, the issue to me wasn't that it was MS per se, rather that the software used is incompatible with the cast majority of devices it was intended to be used with. Clearly a product placement decision based on money rather than an actual consumer benefit.

Does anyone remember the Audi 80 sedan auto-acceleration incidents in the 80's? Our cars are already computer controlled and have been for more than 30 years, and AFAIK none of the software used is FOSS. I remember taking my 1996 Volvo in to the dealer because of a rough idle. The service receipt stated "...software updated..."

This is totally off-topic, but there's already been a successful test of highway automation of autos. It was tested on the commuter bypass lanes in San Diego on I-15 back in the late-90's. Half-a-dozen sedans at speeds in excess of 90mph at around a foot apart racing down the freeway. It was a very cool sight.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          Cars have already been hacked to a degree. Fortunately in my case - windows is limited to blue tooth attached to my radio and steering wheel buttons. Actually, the issue to me wasn't that it was MS per se, rather that the software used is incompatible with the cast majority of devices it was intended to be used with. Clearly a product placement decision based on money rather than an actual consumer benefit.

Does anyone remember the Audi 80 sedan auto-acceleration incidents in the 80's? Our cars are already computer controlled and have been for more than 30 years, and AFAIK none of the software used is FOSS. I remember taking my 1996 Volvo in to the dealer because of a rough idle. The service receipt stated "...software updated..."

This is totally off-topic, but there's already been a successful test of highway automation of autos. It was tested on the commuter bypass lanes in San Diego on I-15 back in the late-90's. Half-a-dozen sedans at speeds in excess of 90mph at around a foot apart racing down the freeway. It was a very cool sight.
                          Yeah I take your point, I'm sure you could stop the car and various other annoying things by messing with the electrical systems. However, when it gets to the stage where you plug in your destination and the car drives you there itself... that's when I'd insist on open source software in control. I find the prospect of hidden features / backdoors in something like that pretty scary.

The diagnostics for cars are a bit of a racket from what I've heard - the tools required to check the electrical components are very expensive, and I bet it's not because of the hardware, it'll be the proprietary software that comes with it.
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575...sed-at-defcon/

Please Read Me

Comment

Scary! They did have physical access to the car though.
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

True, but it begs the question: how long before wireless is an ingrained part of our cars and that sort of hack is possible? Sounds like a good action-movie plot item!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X