X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    And yet...you recognize it!

Also: how is it different, really, than Vinny's cube-in-the-vortex, complete with a flaming heart and neon butterflies?
    ,,,,,,I keep hearing things on this screen ,,,,,,,,,,,O I thought that ,,,,,,,,,,,,$4it I'm listening to myself again

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My Desktop.....

Here's my screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	640475
      Oh, wait a minute, where'd it go??

Name:	snapshot2.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	640476
      Ok, here it is, hiding, sorta

Name:	snapshot3.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	640477

Ok, here it is fer reals. Boring, eh?

Comment

I like simple.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

" ... looks sort of like lysergic acid diethylamide ..."

Not to be picky, guys, but that would be
          d-lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate 25

as I recall ...
          but then, my recall is not too good.
          Oops, gotta run for now, my screen just melted on me, hate it when that happens.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

new 13.10 via 13.04+ "sudo do-release-upgrade -d"

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I took a new image, but actually it is not nearly as interesting as the one I took some time ago.

This is basically my desktop today.

The Amarok "album image" (with the werewolf and the blue Amarok title) was made by me to replace the "generic image" that Amarok supplies for "streaming music".

The "see through" document is how I work to grade student papers. The "template" for grading below and the paper to grade above, however, the two don't show well in a screenshot.

The "folderview" is what I use regularly to work on current items.

The launcher to the right is the "rocket launcher".

I go for a lot of transparency in things like the folder view and the bottom panel, etc.

If I am not working "heavy" I usually have the "Customizeable Weather Plasmoid" running and it does, indeed work very well and is very stable.

I tend to keep a lot of empty space on the desktop because I have to have multiple items open, so I don't run a Conky (which I really like to do, but well that is how it goes).

The surfer is NOT moi! Wish it was but, unfortunately about all that I can do with a surfboard is sit on it! lol

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 14, 2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

my desktop right now, the wallpaper is a slide show that changes every hour...

Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by notabug View Post
                  my desktop right now, the wallpaper is a slide show that changes every hour...
                  I love those forest/nature shots, but not when they put a human or person-made structure in it, kind of ruins the whole point.

Comment

Most of the wallpapers I use are shots of country roads, because I used to love drives in the country.
                    Linux User #454271

Comment

notabug,
                      thanks for the probably VERY unintended reference to my post! lol I am sure completely unintended.

tek_heretik and notabug raise a very, very old, and ongoing discussion about "art" in general, and that is whether "art" should show man intruding on the pristine, haunting, moss festooned shaded glen with golden beams from the celestial orb infusing the scene with warmth, or......not!

http://www.artesmagazine.com/2010/11...ge-old-debate/

To me, one of the great beauties of the computer monitor is that one can have a kaliedoscope of images which can be changed to suit one's moods, or even make the process automatic, as espoused by notabug.

However, since, especially, getting into SCUBA, I have always been drawn to "seascapes" and am now more so. The image on my screenshot has been there for....over a year....and curiously I am now, somewhat, living out that image...only further down in the water!

I have observed, that, in my dotage that I have come down on the side of human inclusion in the art.

I went to great lengths to seek out quite a few of the "American Naturist" landscapes, as prints of course, over the last few decades to "put up on the wall", and, during several moves, they have been relegated to a tote in the closet.

Even with the American Landscape, I have been continually more drawn to the Hudson River School of art, ( previously much maligned by the elitists of the East coast), along with them, the works of Thomas Hart Benton ( with whom I had the great pleasure of spending some small time at an art event wherein we were both hung..........him permanently and myself......FLEETINGLY!!! lol)

His convoluted and serpentine rendering of "America" serves up a refreshing compliment to the grandeur of the Hudson River Valley school.

I don't really have a "bucket list" but....I would like to take one of the river tour boats along the Hudson before I shuffel off this mortal coil, and before it becomes to....humanfied.

GREAT posts you two.............always worth of a read!

woodsmoke

Comment

Here's mine currently. Simple and uncluttered
                        Running 13.10 w/ Homerun Launcher from the Netrunner PPA.

Name:	Desktop1.jpg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	640492

Name:	Homerun1.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	640491
                        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Going to 'install' this fall scene, just found it.

Comment

Name:	Saturn_eclipse.jpg
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	640526

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]4474[/ATTACH]
                              That really reminds me of an old Debian gnome desktop I had.
                              sigpic

Comment

life0riley, I was wondering if anyone would use that image. Great shot when I saw it and I have to say, what you did with it is great! Very Nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X