Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stability of Kubuntu 12.0.4.3 v's Kubuntu 13.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit is a huge speed up over 32 bit. There are plenty of benchmarks to back this claim up. It all comes down to the extensions available to 64bit cpus. The 4GB ram allocation issue might be partially solved using PAE but it's not like you can allocate say 6GB to a VM or use more than 4GB with any one application.

I have never run into any issues with compatibility on openSUSE. Ubuntu was slow to master multilib but I think it does so successfully now. Really, any issues people ever had with multilib were on Ubuntu/Debian derivatives and I am sure they should finally be solved. That said, Kubuntu has been hassle free for me since 11.10. Only Skype ever needed a quick Google and it was a ten second fix.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      64 bit is a huge speed up over 32 bit. There are plenty of benchmarks to back this claim up. It all comes down to the extensions available to 64bit cpus. The 4GB ram allocation issue might be partially solved using PAE but it's not like you can allocate say 6GB to a VM or use more than 4GB with any one application.

I have never run into any issues with compatibility on openSUSE. Ubuntu was slow to master multilib but I think it does so successfully now. Really, any issues people ever had with multilib were on Ubuntu/Debian derivatives and I am sure they should finally be solved. That said, Kubuntu has been hassle free for me since 11.10. Only Skype ever needed a quick Google and it was a ten second fix.
      Benchmarks aside, in real world comparisons running identical installs comparing 32/64 arch we saw no practical difference in performance on day to day desktop tasks. If you are doing huge compiles or encoding feature length movies all day then, yes, granted, you may save a few minutes on 64.

I was there when Gentoo first appeared on the scene. I remember debunking the exaggerated claims of performance increases associated with compiling binaries for this or that arch. It got so bad that the Gentoo dev's had to step in & officially state that the claims were bogus.

I totally agree that OpenSUSE is superior. I found out the hard way. An example : one of my laptops has Artheros chipset. It is affected by the Ethernet controller bug where the connection dies every couple of minutes. All the small distro's throw their hands up & just claim it's up streams bug. Red Hat dev's assigned the bug "Won't Fix" (real nice attitude), Ubuntu never assigned anyone to fix it (users claim installing 3.11.x kernels fixed it but how many users know how to do that?), OpenSUSE dev's confirmed the bug & issued a tiny patch which fixes. This attention to detail puts OpenSUSE out in front of everything else I've tried.

The problems with Flash & Steam for example on multi arch systems are real & affect many many users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

Originally posted by chris2kari View Post
        Benchmarks aside, in real world comparisons running identical installs comparing 32/64 arch we saw no practical difference in performance on day to day desktop tasks. If you are doing huge compiles or encoding feature length movies all day then, yes, granted, you may save a few minutes on 64.

I was there when Gentoo first appeared on the scene. I remember debunking the exaggerated claims of performance increases associated with compiling binaries for this or that arch. It got so bad that the Gentoo dev's had to step in & officially state that the claims were bogus.

I totally agree that OpenSUSE is superior. I found out the hard way. An example : one of my laptops has Artheros chipset. It is affected by the Ethernet controller bug where the connection dies every couple of minutes. All the small distro's throw their hands up & just claim it's up streams bug. Red Hat dev's assigned the bug "Won't Fix" (real nice attitude), Ubuntu never assigned anyone to fix it (users claim installing 3.11.x kernels fixed it but how many users know how to do that?), OpenSUSE dev's confirmed the bug & issued a tiny patch which fixes. This attention to detail puts OpenSUSE out in front of everything else I've tried.

The problems with Flash & Steam for example on multi arch systems are real & affect many many users.
        Flash and Steam affecting many many users? I think for the number of users who use it vs the number who suffer I think it's actually not that bad. 99% of people never come on the forums when something is working, only when something is broken. But yes, there might be lingering issues with multilib on Ubuntu and Debian derivatives and maybe some of the self spun distros but it generally works great nowadays.

As to the performance difference I can agree that maybe for most use cases this might be true but at least for me, it definitely matters. I run a lot of computational stuff in the fields of Mathematics and Economics so for me 64 bit makes an absolutely massive difference.

Heck, more than 4GB of ram is still not yet mainstream when buying a computer therefore I might concur 32 bit still has it's place but to be honest, I really want it to die. Thank you for your viewpoint, sometimes when a person gets so caught up in their viewpoint they lose sight of what others need/see. A diversity of opinions is Linux's greatest strength and worst enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          Flash and Steam affecting many many users? I think for the number of users who use it vs the number who suffer I think it's actually not that bad. 99% of people never come on the forums when something is working, only when something is broken. But yes, there might be lingering issues with multilib on Ubuntu and Debian derivatives and maybe some of the self spun distros but it generally works great nowadays.

As to the performance difference I can agree that maybe for most use cases this might be true but at least for me, it definitely matters. I run a lot of computational stuff in the fields of Mathematics and Economics so for me 64 bit makes an absolutely massive difference.

Heck, more than 4GB of ram is still not yet mainstream when buying a computer therefore I might concur 32 bit still has it's place but to be honest, I really want it to die. Thank you for your viewpoint, sometimes when a person gets so caught up in their viewpoint they lose sight of what others need/see. A diversity of opinions is Linux's greatest strength and worst enemy.
          I understand your use case. It makes sense there. Hopefully over the next couple of years we can finally say good bye to 32 bit at last & just have a single architecture.

Steam coming to Linux is most assuredly a big deal! Just ask my kids lol!

Finally dad could banish Windows[TM] from our network & ritually burn the discs!!! )

And in other news.. Valve software has just announced the release of Steam OS today.
          Hopefully I can just throw this on the kids gaming PC & let them go crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

Working...
          X