This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

experiences with zareason?

So I'm looking into getting my first linux pre-loaded laptop.

I've heard only good things about zareason, at the moment they seem to be the best value for the specs I want, and even more importantly they have a store in New Zealand, which is a lot closer to where I live than the US, where all the other linux preloaded companies seem to be based. They are also intending to eventually set up a store IN MELBOURNE! In my home town! So I want to support them.

The computer I want is the Alto 4330 (http://zareason.co.nz/Alto-4330.html). There are plenty of reviews of earlier models of this laptop online (all glowing) but I only found one review for the current model. Also glowing. From all the evidence, I have nothing to worry about and I should just go ahead and get this computer. But I was kind of curious if anyone on here had a zareason computer and what their experiences were. The more info I can get the better. One doesn't just spend $1000 online lightly (at least, poor people like me don't...)

I emailed zareason's NZ base with a gigantic list of questions several days ago and haven't had a reply yet. Maybe I scared them off - I didn't number the questions because I was afraid to actually count how many there were...
    On the other hand, maybe they just don't have many staff at the NZ base yet.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

I only know them from hear-say and it sounds good
    And I applaud you for supporting such a Linux venture.

In case you can't come to an agreement I can recommend the Lenovo T and W series for working out of the box.

Comment

just a heads up... Windows 8 can be removed from any harddrive....
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
        So I'm looking into getting my first linux pre-loaded laptop.

I've heard only good things about zareason, at the moment they seem to be the best value for the specs I want, and even more importantly they have a store in New Zealand, which is a lot closer to where I live than the US, where all the other linux preloaded companies seem to be based. They are also intending to eventually set up a store IN MELBOURNE! In my home town! So I want to support them.

The computer I want is the Alto 4330 (http://zareason.co.nz/Alto-4330.html). There are plenty of reviews of earlier models of this laptop online (all glowing) but I only found one review for the current model. Also glowing. From all the evidence, I have nothing to worry about and I should just go ahead and get this computer. But I was kind of curious if anyone on here had a zareason computer and what their experiences were. The more info I can get the better. One doesn't just spend $1000 online lightly (at least, poor people like me don't...)

I emailed zareason's NZ base with a gigantic list of questions several days ago and haven't had a reply yet. Maybe I scared them off - I didn't number the questions because I was afraid to actually count how many there were...
        On the other hand, maybe they just don't have many staff at the NZ base yet.
        I personally advocate people choose Linux friendly vendors; however, I always remind people that these are smaller vendors and there are certain risks associated with using them. Something worth noting is that because they are smaller they tend to be very committed to customer service.

As to reviews, look at the Laptop and try see which Clevo it is based on. Then look at reviews for these Clevo machines.

If price is a bit prohibitive, I can highly recommend any laptop that is heavily Intel based i.e. Intel WiFi, Intel CPU, Intel GPU and Inte l HDA Sound. Just avoid Optimus laptops where you can. There are Linux workarounds but they aren't particularly good.

If I were you, I would definitely look at https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1 The CPU is a beast, the GPU can even go blow for blow with a Nividia GTX 650M which is a quite good mobile gaming GPU. Also, being an Intel GPU you will just see performance improve year on year. It's really a stunner and a very good package. The Dell XPS13 is also super duper Linux friendly as it is the laptop used in the Dell Ubuntu Developer Machine.

I know you want to support local, but don't let that you get tempted into taking a weaker machine. The System76 Galago UltraPro is honestly the best bang for buck and general experience Linux machine you can get in my opinion. It's a good Ultrabook with a CPU and GPU combination which can't be had for less.

Honestly though, this is just my opinion but do your own research first.

Comment

I'm not a gamer. I do music stuff which I consider pretty heavy duty, but it's nothing compared to gaming and considering my ancient macbook with VERY limited resources can still run heavy duty applications better than it can browse the internet, I reckon I'm fine with modest specs. I want 8gb RAM and that's the only change I'd make to the Alto specs.
          It's not just a cost thing - I want a small computer with modest resources. Most of the laptops on the market are way bigger than I would find comfortable to use. I'm even worried that switching to a 14 inch from a 13 inch screen might feel strange.

I checked out system76 some time ago, but with all specs at default except for upgrading to 8gb ram, the Galago UltraPro is already more expensive than zareason - and I don't care that it comes with a much bigger hard drive and fancier processor by default, I don't NEED those things. I just want to pay less. I'm also worried that shipping costs from the US would add up to make it even more expensive (I haven't got the foggiest idea how much shipping might be).
          The OS choices are also limited (or rather, non-existent.) and of course I want them to install Kubuntu for me I reckon I'd mess it up if I tried to do it myself...I'm pretty new to linux *blushes*

All I want is a computer that will last 5 years at the very least, not some piece of crap that has to be replaced every 6 months! Probably too much to ask for... *sigh*

p.s. I hate to sound ignorant but WHAT is a 'Clevo'?

p.p.s I just remembered another thing I don't like about the system76 - weird trackpad. I hate those new mac trackpads that you can accidentally swipe and do something weird, this looks like it would be even worse.
          Last edited by dbaker; Sep 07, 2013, 09:29 PM.
          "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
            just a heads up... Windows 8 can be removed from any harddrive....
            I know that. I don't want a Windows machine though. All the ones I know of that are in a reasonable price range I wouldn't trust for the quality of their hardware. I got all excited at one point when I found a HP that had the specs I wanted for $500. Then I read all the reviews about them overheating and dying after a few months because they don't have proper heatsinks. Glad I didn't go with that option :S

Comment

All I have from zareason is; a keyboard, a mousepad and a tux doll. My laptop is from System76

http://zareason.co.nz/Lighted-Tux-Keyboard.html
              http://zareason.co.nz/Mousepad.html
              https://zareason.com/shop/Squishy-Tux.html
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I'm getting my next Laptop from zareason.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm not a gamer. I do music stuff which I consider pretty heavy duty, but it's nothing compared to gaming and considering my ancient macbook with VERY limited resources can still run heavy duty applications better than it can browse the internet, I reckon I'm fine with modest specs. I want 8gb RAM and that's the only change I'd make to the Alto specs.
                  It's not just a cost thing - I want a small computer with modest resources. Most of the laptops on the market are way bigger than I would find comfortable to use. I'm even worried that switching to a 14 inch from a 13 inch screen might feel strange.

I checked out system76 some time ago, but with all specs at default except for upgrading to 8gb ram, the Galago UltraPro is already more expensive than zareason - and I don't care that it comes with a much bigger hard drive and fancier processor by default, I don't NEED those things. I just want to pay less. I'm also worried that shipping costs from the US would add up to make it even more expensive (I haven't got the foggiest idea how much shipping might be).
                  The OS choices are also limited (or rather, non-existent.) and of course I want them to install Kubuntu for me I reckon I'd mess it up if I tried to do it myself...I'm pretty new to linux *blushes*

All I want is a computer that will last 5 years at the very least, not some piece of crap that has to be replaced every 6 months! Probably too much to ask for... *sigh*

p.s. I hate to sound ignorant but WHAT is a 'Clevo'?

p.p.s I just remembered another thing I don't like about the system76 - weird trackpad. I hate those new mac trackpads that you can accidentally swipe and do something weird, this looks like it would be even worse.
                  I know you are not a gamer but seriously, for an extra $45 you do get a substantially better laptop with really no downsides. You might not like their trackpad at first, but like many shifts it just takes time to get used to them. First time I tried a TracPoint (that little red dot mouse on Thinkpads) I thought they were pointless and now I love them. Trust me, it's all about what you are used to. First time I tried two finger scrolling I thought it was gimmicky but now I prefer it over scroll zones. The System76 is smaller and has the same size screen. Anyways, I don't really want to push you to System76 but I was just trying to help.

By the way, just because System76 do not offer Kubuntu by default, do you really want somebody to install your OS for you? Imagine the potential for backdoors etc. Always install Linux yourself. It's easy, free to do and gives you more security. If they need special patches to work then you shouldn't be touching that machine because it will only bring you a world of pain.

P.S. Clevo is probably one of the largest manufacturers in the world, many of their shells are rebranded as Acer, Dells, Asus etc.
                  P.P.S. Check the shipping costs with them. System76 are easy to contact. If the shipping makes the machine prohibitively expensive then obviously it's game over.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. Zareason replied to me this morning and were very helpful - their customer service is certainly encouraging! I've discovered that the price for the laptop I linked to is in NZ dollars and it's quite a lot cheaper converted to aus dollars ($885 instead of $1018) for the specs I want. Their shipping is only $30. I'll also get a 5% discount for being a student.
                    On the other hand, the price of the system76 laptop in aus dollars is $1083, and I imagine the shipping would be quite a lot more coming from the US! I think the choice is obvious here....I'll ask system76 about their shipping nevertheless.

@dmeyer, you have a good point about installing the OS yourself (I might point out that with system76, you can't get the computer OS-less). This is done from a live CD/USB right? I'm not even sure that I would be able to make one. I haven't looked into the process, but I've had enough trouble with all my computers being macs and the required USB format for that..ugh. I don't know about a live CD, that might be possible. I'd like to install the OS myself if I thought I could do it flawlessly, but it might just be a lot of hassle and end up ruining it anyway.
                    How do I find out what Clevo it's based on?

@greygeek, let me know how that goes!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. Zareason replied to me this morning and were very helpful - their customer service is certainly encouraging! I've discovered that the price for the laptop I linked to is in NZ dollars and it's quite a lot cheaper converted to aus dollars ($885 instead of $1018) for the specs I want. Their shipping is only $30. I'll also get a 5% discount for being a student.
                      On the other hand, the price of the system76 laptop in aus dollars is $1083, and I imagine the shipping would be quite a lot more coming from the US! I think the choice is obvious here....I'll ask system76 about their shipping nevertheless.

@dmeyer, you have a good point about installing the OS yourself (I might point out that with system76, you can't get the computer OS-less). This is done from a live CD/USB right? I'm not even sure that I would be able to make one. I haven't looked into the process, but I've had enough trouble with all my computers being macs and the required USB format for that..ugh. I don't know about a live CD, that might be possible. I'd like to install the OS myself if I thought I could do it flawlessly, but it might just be a lot of hassle and end up ruining it anyway.
                      How do I find out what Clevo it's based on?

For that large a price difference I'd see no reason to choose the System76 over the ZaReason for your specified use case. A live CD is super easy to make, just download the iso and burn it to a CD using any CD burning software on any OS. Then, put it in the laptop and boot from it. A pretty GUI will greet you and help you through the process. Very straightforward! To find out which Clevo it is based on your best bet is to ask them.

Still, in the end, choose what is easiest for you.

Comment

I made a live DVD. I'd like to be able to test it before actually committing to a OS-less new computer, however. And the problem is all of the computers in my house are macs, which won't automatically boot Linux. Something to do with EFI vs. BIOS. I don't completely understand these things yet, but all I know is it's a lot of rigmarole to boot Linux on a mac, so I'm not going to try...unless someone can convince me it's easy

If I did try, I'd be too scared to sacrifice my brand new imac or my mum's precious macbook pro to the attempt, so my only option would be trying to boot it on a 7-year-old macbook that's on its last legs. Probably not wise.
                        I don't have any friends I can ask to lend me their windows machine to try live booting on, either...bit problematic...

Comment

Booting a Live disk has no associated risk for the computer used.
                          I don't know enough about Mac's to give any tips re. their booting system, I'm sure Google can be your friend. I do know there's a special Mac disk, no doubt for this reason.
                          On a regular (Windows compatible, oops IBM compatible) computer you might have to tell the BIOS the USB or DVD is to be the first choice, once you open the BIOS it's quite straightforward to find the Booting Order section.

Comment

I just got an Acer V3-711G last summer so it won't be any time soon. Probably about the time that Precise hits its EOL, unless this Acer bellies up before that.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Booting from a live install on a Mac is a huge deal. And it does appear to involve some risk. see this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi/

Comment

Working...
                              X