This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Kubuntu/KDE: Taming the beast

I really like (almost love) Kubuntu and KDE. However, is it just me, or at times does it feel like, when you use them, you're trying to tame a wild stallion?

Sometimes Kubuntu just seems to have a mind of its own.

Really? What exactly are you trying to do?

Comment

Originally posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
      I really like (almost love) Kubuntu and KDE. However, is it just me, or at times does it feel like, when you use them, you're trying to tame a wild stallion?

It could be just you Or not. This of course depends on the person and what is trying to be accomplished. I use KDE and Kubuntu because it does what I want it to do very well with little taming, but also is easy to configure those bits that do need it. Put me on Unity or some other Gnome-y thing, and I definitely feel like it has it's own mind and will not listen to me.

But that is just me.

Comment

Accept for the Firefox Flash problem, Kubuntu has been very nice to me.
        Rob

Comment

If you are fairly new to KDE, then yes it can appear unwieldy at first. Especially if you come from Gnome. or Windows It just takes getting use to the system and how to manage its innards.

System Settings can seem daunting until you work with it, screw it up, fix it, screw it up again, fix again, finally to leave it alone until you learn from your mistakes... I have done countless adjustments in the past, like I wonder what this does..oops, that didn't work. I wonder if I can delete this config file...lucky I had backups

It just takes time to learn to tame the beast or stallion. Know how to use backups - partition backups, ~home backups, etc, works wonders. Especially if your prone to experiment.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
            System Settings can seem daunting until you work with it, screw it up, fix it, screw it up again, fix again, finally to leave it alone until you learn from your mistakes... I have done countless adjustments in the past, like I wonder what this does..oops, that didn't work. I wonder if I can delete this config file...lucky I had backups
            That is exactly what I did with my first Window$ computer, I had to restore it more times then I can remember, its the best way to learn.
            Rob

Comment

I've been trying to learn to use Linux operating systems for several year and I'll probably never get real good at time, but this much I have learned, I like the KDE DE better than any alternative, it was the easiest for me to accomodate to my tastes and use. I like the Debian package system the best. Through trial and error, I've narrowed my Linux OS choice to Kubuntu and if for some reason Kubuntu lost traction and disappeared, I guess I'd probably give up on Linux. This is just me.
              Linux User #454271

Comment

I started using Linux in April 2009. I started with Debian based live distributions which included Damn Small Linux and Knoppix. My first true desktop was Fedora 10. After that Ubuntu 9.04 LTS, and then Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I installed VirtualBox and tried out a number of distributions, Debian, DreamLinux, Xubuntu, openSUSE, and Slackware included. Unity drove me to a quick stint with Linux Mint Mate. I was not totally satisfied with Linux Mint and decided to try Kubuntu. I installed Kubuntu 12.04 LTS in January 2013. It was a battle with my graphics card, but with a lot of Googling I managed to get it done. Kubuntu exceeded my expectations. I was never satisfied with KDE in a VirtualBox guest where performance seemed to be poor, but KDE on bare metal is fantastic!

I know I'm on a steep learning curve and haven't scratched the surface with KDE. God forbid if Kubuntu should loose traction disappear. If it did I would find another Linux KDE distro. The members of this forum have been extremely helpful, notabug included. I hope I can contribute in some meaningful way so that others can benefit like I have here.
                sigpic

Comment

I tried to get my girlfriend to switch from her Macs to Kubuntu, and her comment was the same about both of us.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                  and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                  X