Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about ArchBang? I read this weeks Distrowatch article and it sounds interesting. I have installed Arch in the past, but at the time ,in the end it wasn't any faster or "better" than Ubuntu. I've been tempted to try Arch again, but my memory is coming back, and in the end...so what?!
    All that time invested so you can lay claim...I now know Linux. I can make that claim now, without it.

What I would like is a on non-X distro that boots fast, so I can put my cli scripts and commands to good use. Arch may fill that bill.
    Last edited by verndog; Sep 25, 2013, 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling & fixed confusion
    Boot Info Script

Comment

I think I'll try BridgeLinux KDE
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
        I think I'll try BridgeLinux KDE
        Bedrock Linux looks fascinating too.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          Bedrock Linux looks fascinating too.
          Think I'll wait on that one; it does look interesting though. Installed Bridge on second partition, think I'll stick with Manjaro though
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Pacman GUI? What heresy is this!!!
            I wish there existed a curses-based interface to Pacman. I like Aptitude quite a lot. The way you can explore up and down a dependency tree is unmatched by anything else I've seen. Arch could benefit from a tool like this, I think.

Originally posted by verndog View Post
            Wha I would like is a on X distro that boots fast
            Power-up to login on my T520 running Kubuntu is 12 seconds. What's yer problem?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              I wish there existed a curses-based interface to Pacman. I like Aptitude quite a lot. The way you can explore up and down a dependency tree is unmatched by anything else I've seen. Arch could benefit from a tool like this, I think.
              You don't need Aptitude. Pacman can do everything that Aptitude can do. You can learn to use pacman here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                You don't need Aptitude. Pacman can do everything that Aptitude can do.
                It's not so much the capabilities of the tools...I know both are powerful. What I like about Aptitude is it's curses-based interface:

You can very quickly search for packages, navigate up and down dependency trees, test multiple solver possibilities, and just get a better overall feel for how packages are put together. I've not seen anything like this for Arch.

Comment

Power-up to login on my T520 running Kubuntu is 12 seconds. What's yer problem?
                  What's this response have to do with anything?!
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

What's this response have to do with anything?!
                    You said you wanted a "X" distro (presumably you meant one that boots with an X Window manager of some kind) that boots fast. I was replying with data about how fast my Kubuntu system boots

Comment

My system boots on average in about 6.2 seconds.

Code:
                      systemd-analyze
                      Startup finished in 3627ms (kernel) + 2572ms (userspace) = 6199ms

Comment

You said you wanted a "X" distro (presumably you meant one that boots with an X Window manager of some kind) that boots fast. I was replying with data about how fast my Kubuntu system boots
                        Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I mis-quoted myself. I should have said I want a non-X distro.
                        Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I mis-quoted myself. I should have said I want a non-X distro.
                          Ah, now your earlier statement makes much more sense.

Comment

Bleeding edge? Wuzzat? A cut on your eyebrow? Kidding, of course I know what it means, and I think I've come to the conclusion that hardcore nerds like to break things on purpose so they have something to do, lol. I could PPA my brains out too but meh, my computer works just fine, thank you very much.

Edit: I didn't arrive at Kubuntu by accident, it's the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned, KDE with Ubuntu under the hood and all the support in the world. My last 'hurdle' (and there were many) going completely Linux was a hassle free install to RAID 0, so AFAIC, THIS is the bleeding edge to me, even if it is boring old fart LTS.
                            Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 28, 2013, 07:12 AM. Reason: Added smiley, tres importante

Comment

netrunner 5 enigma
                              KDE Development Platform: 4.10.5

Comment

Working...
                              X