Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like comments on something from another forum...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like comments on something from another forum...

So, in another forum- someone asked for advice on a gaming computer fur $500. The advice was unanimous, build it yourself. So when someone stated how expensive windoze is; I said to install linux, this pretty derailed the thread :-)

http://www.brohoof.com/forums/topic/...uter/?p=490027

[I am NightBreeze (tux_peng)]
    Registered Linux User 545823

Hyper Snow-Fray on that forum wrote:
    To settle this matter, while Linux IS coming along swiftly, it is not efficient or powerful enough to run most games.
    Not "efficient or powerful enough to run most games"? What planet is he from? My grandson and I play Minecraft. He runs Win7. I run Kubuntu, of course. He's always complaining that Minecraft is "lagging" on his Win7. I tell him to run Linux, but hi mom won't let him.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I agree, these aren't the most tech-wavy people; I mentioned Irrlicht- what do ya think about that?

OpenGL is a capable replacement for Direct3D. Since windoze has the marketshare and directx is easier, they use directx because its the native lib on windoze- which is where moat customers are

DirectX also include things like DirectIntput & DirectSound. So, developers could actually skip directly addressing OpenGL, and use things like OGRE, or Irrlicht+OIS+Irrklang (physics engines, such as bullet or newton also integrate well with irrlicht) to replace DirectX. Libs like Irrlicht then use whatever is available (OpenGL or D3D) This is actually ideal, because D3D is better supported than OpenGL on windoze & OpenGL is supported on Mac, Linux & others.
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Simply because of the lack of Linux games, Windows is pretty much a necessity for a gaming computer. Yes, you can run many games in Wine, but a lot of things dont work quite as well as they should.

Comment

Back when I used to regularly dual-boot, I had a few games that had native versions for Windows and for Linux (such as Serious Sam TSE, Postal 2, Soldier of Fortune 1, Darwinia and a few others).

Without exception, all of them had better frame rates under Linux. Graphical settings were identical. There was no doubt in my mind that Linux was more efficient at making use of my hardware than Windows was.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
          X