Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the oldest piece of software that you still use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the oldest piece of software that you still use?

Here's mine:
    WordStar for Windows 2.0. It's a Windows 3.1 program that was released in 1994. I installed it under WINE and, to my amazement, it ran perfectly.

I don't use it as my main word processor, though it runs wel enough that I could. I use it to open old files. LibreOffice Writer is my main word processor, but I've reprogrammed its interface via macros to mimick the WordStar cursor diamond commands as closely as possible. I would have never quit using WordStar if they had kept making it. I was annoyed by subsequent word processors like Word Per F___ed and Microsoft Turd that lacked keystroke commands to let you move the cursor around and keep your hands on the home row. I moved on and used Lotus Word Pro, programming in those commands into its macro system. To my annoyance, that program bit the dust too and I finally begrudgingly moved on to Microsoft Weird. For that program, a got a plug-in written by a gentleman in England, Mike Petrie, who had programmed in the WordStar commands more extensively than I had. I made sure to pay that wonderful company their money for my use of Word. .

So for the first time in years, I'm running a real copy of WordStar, though I've run its core commands consistently since then.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Warcraft III, Reign of Chaos. 2002

Please Read Me

Comment

Crossword Magic ( Windblows unfortunately)

woodsmoke

Comment

Oldest software I have running is Red Baron 3D. Cannot remember when exactly it was released but it was around the time that Windows 95 was around.

I too remember WordStar but for me the best word processor I ever used was WordStar 6 for DOS I wish I still had a copy of that.

Comment

System Shock 2, 1998. Wine + community-derived updates keep this puppy going, and one day I will actually complete the thing

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            Oldest software I have running is Red Baron 3D. Cannot remember when exactly it was released but it was around the time that Windows 95 was around.

I too remember WordStar but for me the best word processor I ever used was WordStar 6 for DOS I wish I still had a copy of that.
            I never used WordStar 6. I used 3.3, then the WordStar mimick program New Word (both of those under CP/M) and then WS 5.0, 5.5, and then I skipped 6 and went to 7.0.

Comment

Final Fantasy VII, Playstation version (1997), running in Linux on the PCSX emulator software. I still play it every so often.
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

ATARY Arcade Hits Volume-1 ,,,for win 95/98 played in WINE on Kubuntu 12.10,,,,,,,,,it has Asteroids,Centipede,Missile Command,Pong,Super Breakout and Tempest on it,,,,,,,,I like Tempest

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

+1 Tempest, lol

Spent a lot of quarters on that game as a little kid...

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                  and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Final Fantasy VII for PC (1998) via wine.(also many community updates and mods to keep it working nice) i can't say that i play the game as much as i play with the game. I do run it almost daily for various amounts of time. i was a little annoyied when i found my discs and started to play again. since it was mostly broken like it was when i got it (bad port).The state of save editors also saddened me because there was no linux editor and you needed several to do any useful editing (one was broken in wine iirc) and they all lacked the ability to convert saves to/from playstation emulator saves or raw save images to import my progress from my real Playstation version of the game. so i ended up writing my own save editor for the game.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

At work our core operational software was written for Windows 3 -3.11 and for lack of better/newer (investment!) it's still in daily use.
                      It does mean our computers are limited to a 32-bit version of Windows.
                      I've often tried running it in Wine, although it is getting close it still doesn't work all the way because it wants to use printer drivers to paint the screen for graphics.

Privately I've tried to run old versions of PackMan and Tetris in Wine but as expected they were tied to the clock speed of the system and are now uselessly fast

Something else that does partially work via Wine is Xtree Gold, in the day my favourite file manager.
                      Obviously it chokes on long file names and the vast number of files and directories on a modern computer but it does show some nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post
                        +1 Tempest, lol

Spent a lot of quarters on that game as a little kid...
                        Yeah! That was a great game. Spin, wheeeeeeee!

Comment

Shufflypuck cafè, Sim-City 2000 and the original Lemmings
                          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

vi -- ca. 1976.

Still useful after all those years.

Comment

Originally posted by andystmartin View Post
                              vi -- ca. 1976.

Still useful after all those years.
                              You get the prize for the oldest then. I'd doubt anyone here uses anything older unless it's something that runs with punch cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X