Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the oldest piece of computer hardware you are still using?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO, CCFL is better in use but you're totally right that LED will last longer. Obviously the best choice in your case.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm writing this on a laptop bought in 2004. Kubuntu 12.04 is the only OS on it! The system was initially slow after the install (which I did just last week), but it works fine now after I installed the low-fat package.
      I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

My server (samba, dnla, ts3) started out on a PII board with 128MB memory in a case with a 150watt powersupply. I believe cirra late 90's. It's since been upgraded to an AM2 board with 4gig memory and a 400watt powersupply (cirra mid-2000). I still have the old parts in my attic. I don't believe in throwing away computer parts unless they're broken.
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
          I don't believe in throwing away computer parts unless they're broken.
          Heh, I'm the same. In fact, sometimes I don't even throw stuff out when it's broken, if there might be salvageable components within.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Depends on how you define use....
            I have a debranded HP Media Center desktop that originally was a Windows XP machine before I owned it. I bought it from geeks.com as a no OS PC and put Ubuntu 8.04 on it. With Amarok I turned it into my jukebox PC back in about '08 or '09. When a different PC took a dive on me, I added a hard drive and put Windows 7 and Windows XP on it and set it up as a tri-boot. I use it to run my Majic Jack and to burn DVDs and not much else.

Now, if you define use as "turn on occasionally for nostalgic purposes," I have something older. I have a Compaq 286 lugable with 640K of RAM, a green monochrome screen, DR DOS 6.0 (which I added later) and WordStar 7.0 (also added later). Back in my DOS days I had a no Microsoft policy. DR DOS would be my operating system and every app would be one made by someone other than Microsoft. I've despised that company for a lllooonnngg time, and they keep doing things to make me not like them.
            Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
            ================================

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
              Heh, I'm the same. In fact, sometimes I don't even throw stuff out when it's broken, if there might be salvageable components within.
              I tend to keep the serviceable items and then give them away to someone who can use them. I shipped a whole box of stuff including enough parts to build a working computer (minus hard drive) to a forum member in OKC last year in exchange for the shipping costs.

I still have some stuff I'm shedding. Anybody need some parts? Most of what I have left is really old, like 256MB RAM modules. I might still have an nVidia 7100 PCIe card.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm pretty sure that in a box somewhere I still have an original Voodoo Graphics PCI card, complete with VGA pass-through cable...
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that in a box somewhere I still have an original Voodoo Graphics PCI card, complete with VGA pass-through cable...
                  Bzzzzzzzzzz (sound of buzzer)

That is an incorrect answer. The question was '...you are still using?' In a box somewhere doesn't count.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Curses! Perhaps if I dug it out of its box and 'used' it as an ornament?
                    sigpic
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

My server (samba, dnla, ts3) started out on a PII board with 128MB memory in a case with a 150watt powersupply. I still have the old parts in my attic. I don't believe in throwing away computer parts unless they're broken.

lol yepppers...from one side of the basement to the other...lol

wood grabbing stuff off the beltways smoke

Comment

I'm using a HP Deskjet 722C parallel port printer. It came with a Gateway G6-350 Pentium II computer in 1999. The printer is currently connected to a Pentium 4 computer with Windows XP and shared on my network. Windows Vista 64 bit and above can't use it, but I can use it with Kubuntu and the other 32 bit Linux operating systems I have. It's still my workhorse.
                        sigpic

Comment

I use an abacus as a remote control for my black-and-white TV, strung together with ARCNET.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            I use an abacus as a remote control for my black-and-white TV, strung together with ARCNET.
                            Pfft... I use my kid as my remote..... THAT'S old-skool!!
                            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Pfft... I use my kid as my remote..... THAT'S old-skool!!
                              lmao.

They're better remotes anyway. Is there any electronic remote that can get you a beer from the fridge?
                              Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                              ================================

Comment

The problem is they never need new batteries and there is no off switch!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X