Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the oldest piece of computer hardware you are still using?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the oldest piece of computer hardware you are still using?

That is actually an interesting question.

I have a Panasonic KX-P4410 laser printer that I purchased on August 27, 1992 that I still use. In fact, this is only my third printer (and only laser printer) I have purchased since purchasing my first PC nearly thirty years ago. It has never needed any repair. I've just had to replace the toner kit and imaging drum on occasion. To the best of my knowledge, I'm only on my second imaging drum!!

So, I am (still) using, what next month will be, a 21 year old laser printer!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I have Pitney Bowes doc pilot i use with win xp machine from i belive 1998 . Wish i could get it to work with my new pc witch does not have parrlel port . I did get pci parralel port card but no luck so far .
    Maybe i open a tread somwhere to get some help . 15 years is not bad, still have 2 toner cartridges for it plus on in it 30% full.

Comment

Wow!
      An excellent investment that printer.

A few months ago I needed to check what was on an a couple of old back-up tapes and the only computer with a tape drive was my early 1994 66MHz Pentium 1 running Win98SP2
      For the first time in years I fired it up and it worked, even the tape was fully accessible after probably 15 years of storage.
      Regretfully I did not find the data I was looking for, had I found it I'd probably earned a Rolex or so from the company needing it...

This computer used to have a second HD with Red Hat but as it was the biggest disk it originally went into my next PIII that until 4 years ago I've been using as a back-up storage first running a version of Debian and later Kubuntu.

Comment

Um, a Wii?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Um, a Wii?
          Lol.

My main desktop is my oldest computer. The mobo/CPU/GPU are all 6 years old. My oldest hard drive is 4. However, all the other components have been replaced or upgraded including the case, power supply (twice), RAM and hard drives. My radiator (I water-cool) is 10 years old, but I don't think that counts. I suspect that for Steve, like me, our desire to upgrade out-paces the wear and tear on our devices.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr, "I suspect that for Steve, like me, our desire to upgrade out-paces the wear and tear on our devices."

I prefer to keep things going and running as long as possible, but as it has happened, my oldest (Desktop) PC dates only to 2005 (so 8+ years), and the other one 2009, I built them both (from store-bought components), both in use everyday here. I pushed my 1991 HP LaserJet IIP as far as I could, but it gave up in 2000. I WISH I did have some old components to brag about!
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I keep lusting after a new Ivy Bridge CPU and mobo but I just can't find the justification. I would like USB 3 and SATA III but I can't spend the money for the full upgrade right now. Too many other irons in the fire.

Actually, I just realized I'm looking at my oldest piece of hardware at this very second. My Dell 1901FP monitor is 12 years old. Dang thing won't die. I added a Dell 1905FP along side of it about 10 years ago. The 1901 replaced a huge 17" flat screen that was about the same age. I had to give that thing away still functioning as if it were new. I really want a new high-res larger single monitor. However, I might be buying a new touchscreen monitor instead (another thread) so I'm coasting along for now.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                I suspect that for Steve, like me, our desire to upgrade out-paces the wear and tear on our devices.
                Somebody's gotta keep the Craigslist economy going.

My Dell 1901FP monitor is 12 years old. Dang thing won't die.
                Shoot it!

However, I might be buying a new touchscreen monitor instead
                For Unity on your Edge, obviously.

Comment

A 10/15/98 Maxtor N256, 6.4 gig.

Comment

Sony PCG-SRX3S laptop from 2002. Bought it used about 8 years ago and its still going strong. I owe my introduction to Linux to this little workhorse. Win XP started crapping out on it a few years back. I had boot times of 15 - 20 minutes and about half an hour of usage before it either froze up or shutdown automatically smelling like burnt plastic bits. I didnt have money for a new computer, so wiped the hard disk and installed Lubuntu. Havent looked back since. Ive got Crunchbang on it now and still use it almost every morning to check emails and read news while I eat breakfast.

Comment

A HP Scanjet 2400, without Linux drivers from 2003.
                      I was using XP at the time and I didn't knew much of Linux world.
                      HP started to release open source Linux drivers later.
                      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
                      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
                      nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
                      eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        For Unity on your Edge, obviously.

Please Read Me

Comment

My Dell 1901FP monitor is 12 years old. Dang thing won't die.
                          >Envy<

I have the worst luck with monitors. I've never had the luxury of selling (or giving away) a monitor, every last one I've owned has died on me. In fact, just a month or two ago I had to replace a ViewSonic 22" LCD that I'd bought new in Sept 2010, as the back-light completely failed on it. Totally swallowed up the money I'd put aside for a new graphics card + PSU, and it'll be another week or two yet before I'm able to buy them.
                          sigpic
                          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Too little too late; I've actually repaired broken back lights. Ususally on a laptop so I'd suspect it's easier on a regular monitor. It's really not that hard. The hard part is finding the parts. As Viewsonic headquarters is about 10Km from me, I'd bet I could get the parts.

Please Read Me

Comment

Heh, according to this handy-dandy distance calculator, that puts you ~8674Km nearer to them than I am... which is why I decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new screen rather than try (and most likely fail) to get a replacement back light here in the UK.

There was also the time-sensitivity factor: I own only one computer, no TV, no smartphone, not even a radio; my PC is the sole source of all of my entertainment, and is also my primary method of communication. The idea of going even 24 hours without a working PC is not a pleasant one (I'd go nuts from boredom), let alone however long it might have taken to a) find the part I needed and b) get it delivered to me. I'm just glad I had enough money in my savings to get the new monitor the next day after the old one died!

Gotta say that I was a bit disappointed that the back light in a name-brand monitor couldn't even manage a 3 year life span from new. One thing I did make sure when I went out to buy my current one was that it had an LED back light, rather than CFL.
                              Last edited by HalationEffect; Jul 29, 2013, 12:10 PM.
                              sigpic
                              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X