• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical's Ubuntu Forum Cracked. :]

Got the following email this morning.

Guess it is a warning to all.

Frank.

Hello,

You are receiving this message because you have an account registered with this address on ubuntuforums.org.

The Ubuntu forums software was compromised by an external attacker. As a result, the attacker has gained access to read your username, email address and an encrypted copy of your password from the forum database.

If you have used this password and email address to authenticate at any other website, you are urged to reset the password on those accounts immediately as the attacker may be able to use the compromised personal information to access these other accounts. It is important to have a distinct password for different accounts.

The ubuntuforums.org website is currently offline and we are working to restore this service. Please take the time to change your ubuntuforums.org account password when service is restored.

We apologize for any inconvenience to the Ubuntu community, thank you for your understanding.

The Canonical Sysadmins.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

See existing thread - http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-Forums-hacked

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
      Thanks. I looked for it first in this section before I posted. Never thought of looking where the above thread is.

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Hmmm, I never got any email. Wonder why?

Comment

I haven't either. 1.8 Million accounts. Will likely take a while.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have always changed passwords every few months because of my experiences at CastleCops, even , while so doing, I thought it probably not really worth the effort,

because the NEW password could be hacked two minutes after you invoke it. (dirty little security secret! lol )

However, I still did it.

After the big reveal about the Russians I now change them daily on anything that I think is of importance.

In fact I have generated a series of passwords ON PAPER so that the task is relatively innocuous.

Surprisingly, the only thing that I don't change daily is my bank which uses postive recognition of an image, a recognition question and a password, and Since there are something like 18 provided images, and I generate the question and answer, the iterations of permuations/combinations of them are probably beyond astronomical.

and I NEVER do anything with the bank or a credit card, or paypal, or anything like that using my phone.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X