Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Altavista is dead... anyone got a good search engine?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altavista is dead... anyone got a good search engine?

I would pop open my browser to a pure no bone search engine. Not any more... Altavista is gone, I don't care much for those others. Yahoo was the basis for the search engine without the ads and clutter.

Is it too much to ask for a search engine that doesn't look like it was made by a teenager on too much acid?

Start Page? IXQuick? Duck Duck Go?

They still, to varying degrees, smell like teen spirit on acid, though. But hey -- at least they don't pester you with 90's style <blink>flashing words</blink>!

Comment

Blekko is looking quite interesting, especially their "slashtags" concept.

More info: http://researchbuzz.me/2010/11/02/bl...h-engine-wars/
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys. I don't know which of these I will be placing under my home button. But here is what happened; I faithfully used Altavista for years (even before the Snowden incident) Mainly stated this on the forum here about how much I don't trust Google or Bing to "handle" my searches. But then Yahoo announced that it will be shutting down a few programs, including the search engine Altavista. The company has to do, what it has to do. But closing down 12 units for service and will be ceasing support doesn't bode well for Yahoo. I might need to look for another online mail service before long. :eek:

So far this is my personal opinion of what I am looking at;
        1. Startpage & ixquick - Oh this really appeals to paranoid people like me, so much so, it makes me think are they just saying this, so they can spy on me? Damn I have trust issues... I blame my father.
        2. blekko - That does look clean. Some popular image searches at the bottom, also I notice they have the talky "Star Trek" audio search like Google. Personally I don't think those will ever work due to various accents. Scotty why can't you get computer access?! Ey, Capt'n it ain't allowin' me access du to me heavy Scottish accent!
        3. Duck Duck Go - Look simple and effective. Again a paranoid search button "Search Anonymously" which is cool. Not that I have anything worth hiding... I just like private searches.
        4. Clusty - Was passed to me in person by a friend of mine just this morning over coffee.
        5. Yippy - Was found by the link at the bottom of Clusty. This one is running in last place mainly due to the design.

So I have those added to my list and I will be picking one to place as my start up and the other as my home. I will run them through the tests of speed and accurate searches before I make a final decision. I now leave you with the world's worse search engine ever!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Scotty why can't you get computer access?! Ey, Capt'n it ain't allowin' me access du to me heavy Scottish accent!
          Authoirization code wictor wictor hahaha

Comment

Searchresults from google, bing, ask..., your choice. Without tracking: https://privatelee.com/search/
            You're making progress, if each mistake is a new one

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow Rising View Post
              Searchresults from google, bing, ask..., your choice. Without tracking: https://privatelee.com/search/
              Interesting. Did not know about this search engine. Seems decent.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Start Page? IXQuick? Duck Duck Go?

They still, to varying degrees, smell like teen spirit on acid, though.
                So visiting them would be nirvana?
                The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
                  So visiting them would be nirvana?
                  You win the Internet.

Comment

It's all mine, ALL MINE!
                    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Maybe if Nirvana sung "Teen Spirit" on acid, then we could comprehend the lyrics? Maybe if we did acid at a Nirvana concert... no wait maybe if we did acid at a Kurt Cobain seance?

I did some testing and they are all winners in my opinion. I have Privatelee as my main search engine now because I really like those Power Search Commands. But I set 3 to open up when I run Chromium DDG, StartPage, and Blekko. All of them have been added to my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        Maybe if Nirvana sung "Teen Spirit" on acid, then we could comprehend the lyrics? Maybe if we did acid at a Nirvana concert... no wait maybe if we did acid at a Kurt Cobain seance?
                        Yeah, that and "It's the End of the World As We Know It" from REM. But then again we could barely understand Ozzy, yet clerarly understand his songs going back to the Black Sabbath days. <<horns up>>

Comment

Working...
                        X