Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edward Snowden - Friend to the people or traitor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edward Snowden - Friend to the people or traitor?

Over the past few days there has been stories in the media about how the US secret service (NSA. CIA etc.) had been "spying" on not only its own citizens but also passing on information relating to British citizens to GCHQ in the UK.

An interesting post I read on another forum you might like to read.
    Friend
    72.73%
    Traitor
    27.27%

The poll is expired.

With regard to the poll question, I guess one's vote will depend on who you define the U.S. to be. If you define it as politicians, senior military and intelligence types, and corporate heads (i.e. 'those in power'), then you'll probably vote that he is a traitor.

If, however, you define the U.S. as being the majority of its citizens, then it's more likely that you'll vote that he's their friend.

For myself, I lean towards the viewpoint that the more power an organisation has, the less likely I am to trust it. Power corrupts.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

i about spewed my coffee on the screen when I read this from the Guardian article.

Strewn about the side of his bed are his suitcase, a plate with the remains of room-service breakfast,

and a copy of Angler, the biography of former vice-president Dick Cheney.

rotfl

woodstilstranglingsmoke

Comment

The problem with polls are the questions themselves. I won't vote on this, not because I don't have an opinion, but because the solicitation is to 'black and white'.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Who cares about Edward Snowden? Apparently he's not so smart, what with his recent "exposure" of US-sourced hacking of Chinese computer systems. As if that'll win him any points over there.

The important issue is the relentless destruction of American civil liberties. As a nation, we should be discussing that topic. But, alas, it's so much easier to whip people into a frenzy about the messenger. This always happens when the message itself can threaten those in power.

Comment

Mark Klein appeared on "a network" today, he was the guy who:

"went through the system" and ... and revealed what AT&T was doing:

In recognition of his actions, the Electronic Frontier Foundation picked Klein as one of the winners of its 2008 Pioneer Awards.[
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Klein

That was just a couple of years ago and he is completely off the radar.

woodsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 14, 2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I agree with Snowhog on this: too black and white.

It was only a matter of time before something like this came out, and I do not think it has anything to do with political parties at all. It is quite hilarious to watch the two sides (of the same wooden nickel!) flip flop on this, comparing the original Patriot Act and reactions to it to what it has become.

Anyone surprised at the revelations I think I would consider at least a bit naive. I also note that some polls show more than half those questioned seem to be OK with the surveillance. The top of that slippery slope..........

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                It is quite hilarious to watch the two sides (of the same wooden nickel!) flip flop on this, comparing the original Patriot Act and reactions to it to what it has become.
                LOL I QUITE agree! And an example is certain video clips of people who now SANCTION this who were so adamantly AGAINST it when Bush started it....

But...apparently the FISA court goes back for many decades.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                X