This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of soldered power connections.

My 10 year old laptop starting losing power. I notices the power connector was getting hot and the charge indicator would go on and off as I wiggled the connector. At first I thought I need a new connector for the charger. A trip to Radio shack amazed me at how many different types and sizes of connectors there are. Of course they didn't have the one I needed.

Then it occurred to me that the problem may actually be in the receptacle inside the computer. After about an hour and 55 screws later I finally got to where the power connector is soldered to the circuit board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fixlaptop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	647970

The blackened area around the solder connection told me I simply needed to re-solder the connection.

After reassembly (I only had 2 screws left over) I was again amazed that the silly thing actually worked again. Whew! That was stressful but very satisfying.

Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

10 year old laptop? Geeze, that's amazing. You must be delicate with your machine!

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi Icorken, that is a nice to know piece of info.

And, you are not alone, my Vaio is 11 years old lol and still running windows Vista! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X