Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The article about Ubus "direction" anecdotes about RedHat and Linux from Austin TX

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The article about Ubus "direction" anecdotes about RedHat and Linux from Austin TX

If folks have not read it the post on the main page about "angst over Ubu's direction" is a nice read, but I would throw in three anecdotal things from my trip to Austin TX to give a presentation on my teaching methods.

The article:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/78157.html

a) Whilst driving down that HORRID MASS OF CONSTRUCTION along 35 I saw no less than THREE that is (3) of these adverts:

Nowwww. the highly pregnant question is....that....if Texas is filled with Philistines(sic)......then why is hostgator spending so much MONEY in....Philistine Texas to try to attract Linux programmers?

b) Probably many of the readers of this forum are toooo YOUNG....to remember the BUSINESSMAN in Texas who GAVE AWAY.... cds of "Linux" to people who would call....

Anybody remember the "Mandriva install fests"...of which I tried to be a part, and was SPURNED.... THREE TIMES...but I installed "Mandriva" on no less than fourty odd computers...but I was SPURNED by the Mandriva people and they installed on what...ten?

But the Businessman gave away HUNDREDS of cds...

apparently it bore some small fruit...

http://www.meetup.com/linux-85/messages/47570642/

c) Whilst in THIS BAR.....the Continental Club:

http://www.continentalclub.com/

Which was PROUDLY describe by many of the denizens....who were listening to some GREAT music.... as the "oldest dive" in Austin...

I ran into a guy, and his wife, who owns an "internet security firm" and he could talk the talk and walk the walk, because I used to do Internet Security for Castle Cops...

And we were talking about "this and that"...and I commented on the HostGator ads and he said...

"Yep.....there is a lot of Linux being used in business, etc, in Austin, and Texas in general..."

And THEN later on, describing what OS he uses, he uses his custom roll of Red Hat...

and we got onto Red Hat...

And he said something to this effect:

"People in the Linux world just don't know how much money is being made by Red Hat and don't know just how much Red Hat is getting into just about EVERYTHING."

AND THIS ...

He said something to the effect of: gotta remember too many Rum 'n cokes...

"And it is all being programmed by just a few people".

And,....apparently he knows all or most of them...

Sooooooooooooo

Just MAYBE....there really ARE things "swirling about underneath"....about which the oh so smart bloggers and smarter than thous really do not have a clue...

or...

which they just don't mention so that they can keep those clicks comin'.

c) And...as an aside....

There is just GREAT food in Austin... especially in the "food trucks"...

The above pic is from "Congress Avenue"....and

unfortunately, the last day that i was there...I stopped to get some food and ALL OF THE TRUCK ARE GONE....

"a DallasJohnnieBoy" bought the area and is going to put a hotel there....

So the "keep Austin weird" idea MAY have had it's hey day....and is soon to be a thing of the past....

Sooooo is there something that Canonical "knows" that the bloggers and oh so smart people do NOT know?

Just a question, and if anyone wants to provide insightful, or NON-insightful information please do so! lol

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 02, 2013, 10:04 PM.

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Love austin.... dunno about Ubu's direction! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X