This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I WANT standard sized LiveCD Kubuntu .iso files

[rant]I, and I don't think I'm alone, WANT Kubuntu to provide standard sized LiveCD .iso files. If they would get away from packaging so much into the LiveCD .iso (like they used to), then this could be done (again). Yes, I could just create a LiveUSB from the oversized .iso, but I want the choice, not be forced into doing so.[/rant]>
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

That would be nice. I would like to see (from the Ubuntu devs) a minimum iso that has all of the "ubuntu-minimal" package on there, so I don't have the install dl the debs just to have a simple CLI install to start a custom install. also have it with UEFI support in case you're installing it on a newer system (with SecureBoot disabled of course). No ponies, please, though.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
      That would be nice. I would like to see (from the Ubuntu devs) a minimum iso that has all of the "ubuntu-minimal" package on there, so I don't have the install dl the debs just to have a simple CLI install to start a custom install. also have it with UEFI support in case you're installing it on a newer system (with SecureBoot disabled of course). No ponies, please, though.
      Me too. The minimal .iso was great. Ive always, always had trouble with the graphical installers (the 13.04 one being the absolute worst Ive ever dealt with) so the minimal cli installer was a perfect solution for me. With 12.10 I tried installing Ubuntu server, which has a cli installer, and then putting kubuntu-desktop on top of that, but it gave me several problems that I could never resolve.

Comment

Since I rarely use CD's and only DVD's , size here doesn't matter. In fact, the last couple of installs I used the loop-back method, so no media was used. Normally I use usbflash.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          Me too. The minimal .iso was great. Ive always, always had trouble with the graphical installers (the 13.04 one being the absolute worst Ive ever dealt with) so the minimal cli installer was a perfect solution for me. With 12.10 I tried installing Ubuntu server, which has a cli installer, and then putting kubuntu-desktop on top of that, but it gave me several problems that I could never resolve.
          I think there is an option to just install the minimum (ubuntu-minimal) on the server CD. I'd like to see other's opinions on the varoius .iso's and what we we here want ot see.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I want to see a well-rounded set of packages that [provide the most bang for the most buck for the most people in the most places possible

There already is the ubuntu-minimal, but that might be too minimal for some
            I do NOT want more "niche" bits for Kubuntu, too many places for fail and the resultant bad press there

The problem is that in recent times, it has been extremely difficult to pare down to a 700mb limit not due to feature bloat, really, but the overall size of KDE, the kernel, libs etc, without removing things important - language support and the like. It really did get down to picking and scraping those final couple of mb, using different compression in the debs even to squeeze every spare kb out.

Comment

Working...
            X