• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttleworth closes bug #1 ... !

Launchpad bug #1: Microsoft has a majority market share

SABDFL's justification in comment #1834:

What should happen:

A majority of the PCs for sale should include only free software.
    A lot of people are complaining that Android is not really free software. I don't know enough about it to comment. But yeah, I guess the PC landscape has changed and we can do as much on our phones as on a desktop or laptop.

Comment

Here's what I wrote on an email thread at work. I'll admit it's harsh. My ire is not with any of the *buntu projects, but solely directed toward Canonical.

Marking it as "Fix Released" is a heap of hubris, but not wholly unexpected from SABDFL. It's not as if any of Canonical's activities made a major contribution to eroding the original statement: "Microsoft has a majority market share."

If we constrain the conversation to PCs for a bit more, I'd say that "Fix Released" is the opposite of reality. The influx of newbies into the Kubuntu Forum pleading for help with *buntu/Windows 8 dual boot is certainly an indicator of something. It is demonstrably more difficult to install a second operating system on OEM PCs that come with Windows 8 than with prior versions. Secure Boot and Fast Boot erect barriers that even moderately adept technical folk have trouble crossing. What has Canonical done to help ease this? Nothing.

SABDFL's handwaving about "phones, tablets, wearables," "being amazing on cloud and for developers," and "delivering fantastic experiences" reads remarkably like a Microsoft press release. The language is shockingly similar. Too bad there's no "Gave Up" status on Launchpad, because that would be a more accurate reflection of reality.

Comment

As others have commented elsewhere, bug #1 should have been closed as CANTFIX.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

The man is a walking encyclopedia of mental and personality disorders :P
          (We're on "Delusions of grandeur")

Comment

In The Netherlands there was, as far as I know, one online shop left where you could buy linux desktop computers. On the same day Shuttleworth fixed his bug, this online shop stopped. The reason: they couldn't get computers without Windows installed anymore. The story (in Dutch): http://www.hettes.nl/hettes-stopt
            I may be wrong, but I have the slight impression maybe this bux isn't fixed completely...

Comment

Maybe this is the release that truly did fix bug #1.

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

But it was soooooooo last year:

Comment

If you think about it as the number of devices shipping with the Linux kernel, then Linux is by far the most dominant OS in the word. In that context, marking the bug solved is reasonable.

In the spirit of the original bug, it should have been left as open.

Comment

Well, I'm not over in Redmond today, but I swear I can hear this noise wafting all the way across Lake Washington:

Comment

I dont think the closing of this bug has anything to do with market share or even Windows. I believe it was closed because Canonicals direction is vastly different than it was when the first edition of Ubuntu was released. Canonicals purpose is no longer to provide an alternative to Windows, but instead to make profit. They are continually trying to distance themselves from the "free" software world of Linux and trying to strike out on their own. With MIR, Unity, and now their own packaging system, it is clear that they want absolute control over everything Ubuntu. The inclusion of Amazon search results in standard local searches gives us some clue as to the direction Canonical is sadly heading. And so I think the bug was closed simply because it got in the way of their current goals.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      I dont think the closing of this bug has anything to do with market share or even Windows. I believe it was closed because Canonicals direction is vastly different than it was when the first edition of Ubuntu was released. Canonicals purpose is no longer to provide an alternative to Windows, but instead to make profit. They are continually trying to distance themselves from the "free" software world of Linux and trying to strike out on their own. With MIR, Unity, and now their own packaging system, it is clear that they want absolute control over everything Ubuntu. The inclusion of Amazon search results in standard local searches gives us some clue as to the direction Canonical is sadly heading. And so I think the bug was closed simply because it got in the way of their current goals.
                      Of course, bug #1 was never really a 'bug'.

It was a created to attract publicity and was closed for exactly the same reason.

Comment

I think personally that Shuttleworth should have left this open the bug "#1" mainly because to be honest, I still see Microsoft products & Apple iMacs in stores in the United Kingdom those two products are dominent in PC World, Currys and other stores. I've only seen kindle books with Linux mentioned as the main OS. But not one of those stores have Ubuntu or Kubuntu installed.
                        Desktop Specs: Kubuntu 13.04 IA-32 | 500GB HD | Radeon HD 5450 | Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core "Northbridge" | 2GB RAM | Kernel 3.8.0 | DE: KDE 4.10.4

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post

It was a created to attract publicity and was closed for exactly the same reason.
                          +1

Please Read Me

Comment

Its the first time I've ever heard of this bug, and I don't have an opinion one way or the other. That Steve Ballmer going crazy was a hoot. Ballmer needs to be calmer.
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post

Of course it wasnt a real bug. And yes it is a publicity stunt, but I think it is also a sign showing where Ubuntu is heading.

Comment

Working...
                              X