This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Scam Failed from the Start

So 35 minutes ago I am sitting here when the phone rings.

Simon: Hello? ... Hello?
    Scammer: [Heavy Indian Accent] Hello my name is Rob and I am a Microsoft Technician.
    Simon: So Rob, what do you want with me?
    Scammer: Your computer has informed us it has a virus on it.
    Simon: That is incredible! I didn't know my computer could do that.
    Scammer: Yes of course, if you follow my instructions I will assist you in removing the virus.
    Simon: Of course, tell me what to do.
    Scammer: Ok you will need to...

Over the course of the next 20 minutes Rob tried to use several Windows commands to open things that don't even exist on Linux. LoL
    When he asked which version (of Windows) I had I told him I wasn't really sure. I wish more people like Rob would call me I find them entertaining.

LOL .....I shure wish 1 would call me that could be lodes of fun .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I did that once. I really got them going because I directed my browser at the URL they specified and they could see that, and that I downloaded the executable they wanted me to. I say "they" because I was passed twice to seemingly more capable guys. At no point did I say something untrue. The fury when the penny dropped was gratifying.

Of course, I should have been more circumspect, I wasn't running NoScript then. But it was clearly a windows executable they wanted me to run, and I didn't have wine or anything that would attempt to run it.

Regards, John Little.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I got one of these. Interestingly, my desktop runs Windows. I stood there for five minutes assuring him that he couldn't help me because my computer is perfectly fine, I make sure it is. I thought to myself briefly "What am I doing arguing with this guy?" and hung up.

Comment

I used to click on those "Your Computer is Infected" popups just to see what would happen.

Don't see those lately, maybe they have finally been busted.

Comment

Just remember the service you provided for the world on May Day... That is, the longer you keep him/her on the phone, the fewer people he/she can possibly scam! Surely, you saved multiple people from unnecessary spending. (BTW, this is not sarcasm. This is actually the thought that I carry to help me persevere through those ridiculous calls, haha!)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              So 35 minutes ago I am sitting here when the phone rings.

Simon: Hello? ... Hello?
              Scammer: [Heavy Indian Accent] Hello my name is Rob and I am a Microsoft Technician.
              Simon: So Rob, what do you want with me?
              Scammer: Your computer has informed us it has a virus on it.
              Simon: That is incredible! I didn't know my computer could do that.
              Scammer: Yes of course, if you follow my instructions I will assist you in removing the virus.
              Simon: Of course, tell me what to do.
              Scammer: Ok you will need to...

Over the course of the next 20 minutes Rob tried to use several Windows commands to open things that don't even exist on Linux. LoL
              When he asked which version (of Windows) I had I told him I wasn't really sure. I wish more people like Rob would call me I find them entertaining.
              Scams are not funny because vulnerable people (and even some intelligent people) get caught out by them and suffer.

Here's a thread on your sister forums about the same topic

Comment

Messing with the scammers

Comment

"What's a wirus?" HEHEHE

"I can't right click on your computer...you click on your own computer, and I'll click on my computer at the same time" ROFLMAO

"Ma'am, are you making fun of me?" Yeah, kick some CSass!

Comment

Just be warned, Windows has a type of notification centre which shows a crap ton of errors but none of them are serious.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                      Scams are not funny because vulnerable people (and even some intelligent people) get caught out by them and suffer.
                      No offense Nick, but "funny" (at least to us Canadians) has a broad terminology; absurd, odd, silly, and strange. I seriously don't find it humorous to get ripped off by people obviously less intelligent than I am and very poor in telephone performance acting. I find it hard to believe that act can fool anyone that doesn't need to count without removing their shoes. This scam does seem to be making the rounds here because someone else got the call here on campus and handled them in much the same manner. Only difference was that person has a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        I find it hard to believe that act can fool anyone that doesn't need to count without removing their shoes. This scam does seem to be making the rounds here...
                        Maybe we're especially gullible here in New Zealand. I've received about six such calls in the last two years, and there's been publicity warning about them. An elderly friend was duped and I had to wipe her laptop and reinstall windows from scratch.

Regards, John Little
                        Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2013, 11:19 PM.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                          ...had to wipe her laptop and reinstall windows from scratch.
                          Couldn't you have re-installed Linux from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                            Couldn't you have re-installed Linux from scratch?
                            Isn't there a book for that?
                            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                              ...and reinstall windows from scratch.
                              Geez, Who has that kinda time?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X