This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Achaean View Post
    Inkless, paperless and environmental friendly!
    Those abacuses destroy the jobs of thousands of good, moral, hardworking folk employed by the paper and ink industry throughout the heartland. How dare you, you lilly-livered liberal!

Comment

Achaean, Oh heck, I've got all that stuff--an abacus, even various and many slide rules, and some crazy little German accu-calculator (or something like that--got it packed somewhere and is not handy at the moment), which has a metal "pencil" stylus thingy for sliding columns up and down in a metal frame. Paper + a #2 is soothing to the old mindset.

Naw, spreadsheet technology is OK, just burned out of the horse* that goes with them. Like GIGO. Like so much of the data is projections, projections from forecast models, forecast models from shaky statistics and hopeful assumptions, ... Which is why, in my old age, I've gravitated to simulation models, which if done right (i.e., go easy on them shaky assumptions & your choice of distributions), at least offer some alternative to point estimates and a framework for "ranging" the possibilities (risk/contingencies).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nice!!!
        Now we are all on the technology bleeding edge.

We already saved the environment and we still have to find a solution for the ex-workers of the paper industry.
        Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
        nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
        eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Oh, yeah, the environment, trees, workers & such. But that doesn't apply to ME, guys. I only use, maybe, one yellow tablet and one or two #2 pencils a month. What harm can that do?
          ;-)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            What harm can that do?
            ;-)
            Absolutelly nothing!
            We were just kidding.

Not every single moment in life, is for serious talking I suppose.
            Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
            AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
            nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
            eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              I only use, maybe, one yellow tablet and one or two #2 pencils a month. What harm can that do?
              ;-)
              You obviously aren't doing your part to support our thousands of good, moral, hardworking folk employed by the paper and ink industry throughout the heartland. Stop being such a scrooge, go out and shop!

Comment

I shopped 7 years ago, at Wal-Mart, for a $7 Dura Brand toaster, made in China. And the d* thing still works! No need to shop for awhile longer now.

Comment

@Achaean ... I know. I was being cynical, joking around. I'm actually, a flaming blazing ultra liberal when it comes to such issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X