This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saucy Salamander

So Kubuntu 13.10 will have the codename Saucy Salamander.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1252
    Last edited by Guest; Apr 25, 2013, 09:32 AM. Reason: Amended URL

Personally, I think Ubuntu could do without the cutesy animal names.

What happens after Z

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Personally, I think Ubuntu could do without the cutesy animal names.
      I guess it's now a tradition that's very much a part of Ubuntu now.

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      What happens after Z
      I don't know but I suspect there has already been a lot of thought about the naming of the 'T' release.
      Last edited by Guest; Apr 25, 2013, 09:51 AM. Reason: Improved grammar

Comment

Saucy? Stupid.

How about Salacious? Sycophantic?

Ah, I have it: Sequestration Salamander

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post

I don't know but I suspect there has already been a lot of thought about the naming of the 'T' release.

What -- you think they'll have a problem with Titillating Titmouse?

Comment

I think they might just stick with the release number 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, 14.10 ... I like the names but I just think that companies are thrown off with the weird names.

Comment

Ubuntu could just have the codenames apply to only the LTS releases. That may only delay the inevitable, but would give them freedom to do whatever they want with the interim releases (make it rolling, devel branch, or status quo). in the repo they can refer to the releases as the numbers instead of the adjectival part of the codename, as well.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

worst name ever!
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by ATHoneycutt View Post
                  I think they might just stick with the release number 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, 14.10 ... I like the names but I just think that companies are thrown off with the weird names.
                  They are just iinternal development codenames. Heck, most software companies give their in development products quite ridiculous names. Screw it, some majot software projects have terrible names like MariaDB, PostgreSql etc. These are major software projects! Java is so silly but overtime we have just become comfortable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                    They are just iinternal development codenames. Heck, most software companies give their in development products quite ridiculous names. Screw it, some majot software projects have terrible names like MariaDB, PostgreSql etc. These are major software projects! Java is so silly but overtime we have just become comfortable with it.
                    That is true like Windows Vista's codename was Longhorn.

Comment

Originally posted by ATHoneycutt View Post
                      That is true like Windows Vista's codename was Longhorn.
                      Longhorn is the name of the bar situated between Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. Visitors who wish to get from one mountain to the other must pass through the bar.

At the time, "Longhorn" was intended to be a short-term interim release between "Whistler" (Windows XP) and "Blackcomb" (the next major release). But priorities change, including the infamous reset. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...opment_history

Comment

So I just noticed this bit in SBDFL's blog post:

You’ll find salamanders swimming in clear, clean upstreams – which is exactly what’s forming around Ubuntu’s mobile ecosystem. It’s a way of saying ‘thank you’ to the tremendous community that has joined the effort to create a single unified experience from phone to PC
                        "Swimming in upstream" means swimming against the current. LMAO. Just an accident, perhaps? Or is this a subtle acknowledgement of a popular criticism -- that Canonical doesn't really bother contributing much back to the larger Linux ecosystem?

Comment

When I was a kid, visiting my grandfather's farm in southern Ohio, salamanders were found under rocks in slimy slow-running creeks.Just saying' ....

Comment

Or as I heard somewhere, only dead Salmon go with the flow.

I have absolutely no problem what so ever with this name, funny and light hearted it is.

Comment

Working...
                            X