This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distribution Showdown - KDE Wins!!!!!!!

I have just read a very interesting article that compares KDE, Gnome 3, Cinnamon/Mate and Unity. You can find it at Datamation. The comparison categories with the winner in each are:

(1) Performance and Memory Demands - Cinnamon/Mate & KDE
    (2) Ease of Use - Cinnamon/Mate
    (3) The Desktop Design Philosophy - KDE
    (4) Application Design - All Equal
    (5) Unique Features - KDE

Lets hope that KDE continues to get better press

Nice article. I havs always liked kde best.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 13, 2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

and the 4.10 release uses about 55 percnet of the memory that Linux Mint's Cinnamon/Mate does, and about the same number of buffers.
      I'd say that's a rather significant difference.

Comment

That is so cool!
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Even though Unity rated so poorly, ie 13 for Unity and 6 for KDE, I doubt that our SABDFL will not change his approach. Instead he will probably devote more resources to Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            Even though Unity rated so poorly, ie 13 for Unity and 6 for KDE, I doubt that our SABDFL will not change his approach. Instead he will probably devote more resources to Unity.
            Unity isn't that bad. Newbies seem to love it once they learn the basic ideas behind the DE.

Comment

Unity, and Windows 8, show the result of what happens when you try to apply the phone/tablet metaphor onto a laptop or desktop. It doesn't work. Phones and tablets are two-dimensional devices with limited screen real estate. Laptops and desktops are three-dimensional devices (vertical output, horizonal input) with large amounts of screen real estate. They demand different UIs. Plasma gets this right -- we have Plasma Desktop, Netbook, and Active.

Comment

I would really like to get Plasma Active on a tablet but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Comment

Regretfully, I think you're right. The Plasma Active guys keep cranking out code -- PA 4 was supposed to come out last month, but it's late I guess. Meanwhile, you can get builds of PA 3 for various devices, most of which seem uncommon. And the Vivald tablet appears abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    Regretfully, I think you're right. The Plasma Active guys keep cranking out code -- PA 4 was supposed to come out last month, but it's late I guess. Meanwhile, you can get builds of PA 3 for various devices, most of which seem uncommon. And the Vivald tablet appears abandoned.
                    I do think they will get a tablet out "eventually" but it will be on such ****ty hardware that it will be as good as not having a device at all. I would love to see Plasma Active on new ARM hardware with full acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                      I think that's already started to happen with the recent changes that have been made to the release cycle and the way the UDS is held.

I don't mind the Ubuntu 12.04 version of Unity, I even use it occasionally on my laptop but I feel that the journey SABDFL is taking Ubuntu on is not a journey I want to be on any longer. I have little interest in an Ubuntu phone or the latest versions of Unity and have no desire for all my computing hardware to look the same. I like to use what works best for me at the time. So I'll continue to use Lubuntu on my netbook and Kubuntu with it's superior applications on my desktop although I do switch to Xubuntu from time to time. But whenever I use one of the other *buntus I find that there's a KDE application that works better and I'm wanting to switch back to Kubuntu.

I see a lot of posts on another forum which say that because Kubuntu is so heavy on resources it will slow your PC down so best not to use it. Apart from a recent aborted installation on my netbook I've never really found this to be the case. Such posts seem to be made by people who have read about resource problems rather than experienced them for themselves. Although I haven't read it in full, it's nice to see an article that reflects my own experiences.

But I'm obviously not the sort of user that SABDFL wants to attract anyway as I've spent most of this weekend using console applications for which I didn't really need a desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
                        I think that's already started to happen with the recent changes that have been made to the release cycle and the way the UDS is held.

I don't mind the Ubuntu 12.04 version of Unity, I even use it occasionally on my laptop but I feel that the journey SABDFL is taking Ubuntu on is not a journey I want to be on any longer. I have little interest in an Ubuntu phone or the latest versions of Unity and have no desire for all my computing hardware to look the same. I like to use what works best for me at the time. So I'll continue to use Lubuntu on my netbook and Kubuntu with it's superior applications on my desktop although I do switch to Xubuntu from time to time. But whenever I use one of the other *buntus I find that there's a KDE application that works better and I'm wanting to switch back to Kubuntu.

I see a lot of posts on another forum which say that because Kubuntu is so heavy on resources it will slow your PC down so best not to use it. Apart from a recent aborted installation on my netbook I've never really found this to be the case. Such posts seem to be made by people who have read about resource problems rather than experienced them for themselves. Although I haven't read it in full, it's nice to see an article that reflects my own experiences.

But I'm obviously not the sort of user that SABDFL wants to attract anyway as I've spent most of this weekend using console applications for which I didn't really need a desktop environment.
                        Kubuntu is heavy on resources relatively speaking but its not slow or laggy. Heavy on resources = bad iff resouces are in short supply. On any netbook or better from the last 5 years given 2GB of ram then Kubuntu will run perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Unity, and Windows 8, show the result of what happens when you try to apply the phone/tablet metaphor onto a laptop or desktop. It doesn't work. Phones and tablets are two-dimensional devices with limited screen real estate. Laptops and desktops are three-dimensional devices (vertical output, horizonal input) with large amounts of screen real estate. They demand different UIs. Plasma gets this right -- we have Plasma Desktop, Netbook, and Active.
                          Unity with it's bar at the side really isn't any more of the tablet approach than Mac OS X is with it's bar at the bottom. One can argue that the various lenses are, but even those are just variations on menu presentation and there are plasma plugins that do similar things. For most users the biggest complaint about Unity and even gnome-shell has been the launcher is stuck on the left of the screen. That works well for many scenarios that are wide screen but not others. Windows 8, definitely is trying to fit a mobile interface onto a desktop and laptop and without a touch device is frustrating to use.

Regardless, even if Unity is not a tablet interface, it along with Windows 8 suffers from the one size fits all approach and that is where KDE excels by providing a UI that is tailored to the device and use scenario at hand. But KDE is even better than that, because it doesn't limit you to those use cases. If you want to run plasma netbook on your desktop and plasma desktop on your small screen laptop/netbook you are free to do so. Plasma Active doesn't quite work that way, at least not yet, but it is pretty young. Maybe eventually it will, too.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post

I've seen those types of posts, too, and I don't understand them. While Kubuntu is not the fastest KDE distro, it is hardly sluggish unless something else is wrong with the system. It is true that Kubuntu has a lot of needless services turned on by default so that things just work for an inexperienced user (versus say openSuse not even having pulseaudio enabled by default), but it is easy enough to turn those things off. Ultimately, it is not the desktop that is the problem but the applications we run. If we are using a resource limited computer and running libreoffice and firefox simultaneously, then things will slow down.

As for the Kubuntu bashing, I think, in reality, it is just fashionable to bash anything remotely related to Ubuntu, and Kubuntu is guilty by association.

Comment

If there is Kubuntu bashing it is not because of it's Ubuntu lineage but more likely because there's a hard-core group of KDE haters, and I mean they hate it with a passion.
                              Some of it has to do with the original QT license, some of it with KDE being in their eyes too much like Windows and for others it's because they invested a lot in Gnome and just don't like any sort of 'competition'.
                              The argument KDE is heavy is a very old one, even though it has for years had a smaller memory footprint than any other full-featured DE, according to this study only 55% of Cinnamon/Mate while Unity is in another league of memory hogging.

Comment

Working...
                              X