This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did I not spot this before?

So I was messing around in KDE's Desktop Settings, and noticed the Globe option. I've no idea how long that's been there, but I knew I'd never tinkered with it, so I decided to give it a whirl.

I'm really loving it, especially in interactive mode with placemarks switched on... it's like having an atlas on my desktop, that I can drag around and zoom in on! The various different map themes available are icing on the cake: satellite, atlas, earth at night, moon, etc.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Come on, dude. Where's the screenshot? You're killing me...

Please Read Me

Comment

Come on, what happen to your google-foo

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Come on, dude. Where's the screenshot? You're killing me...
        Your wish is my command!

Shots 1 and 2 are using Map Theme: Atlas, Projection: Mercator (the 2nd shot is after dragging and zooming in). Shot 3 is Map Theme: Earth At Night, Projection: Globe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	globe-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	640306Click image for larger version

Name:	globe-2.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	640307Click image for larger version

Name:	globe-3.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	640308

You can even set it to "Follow the sun", and it will horizontally scroll the map (or rotate the globe, if you're in globe mode) to match the rotation of the Earth.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

That's neat! When I get my new 27" monitor (no time soon) that would really look cool. Thanks for the screenies.

@Teunis: I tried a bit but I wasn't sure if I had found the right things. I found some shots from 2007 that obviously weren't what I was looking for. I'm stuck at work (on a windows machine) or I would have just launched it myself. Besides, what's the point of having on-line friends if you can't bug 'em with dumb requests once in awhile! :cool:

Please Read Me

Comment

Work, the plight of the 99 percenters

This week I am lucky, because of a management oversight my planned project has been delayed till next week and I could fly home for a few days.

Back OT, yes this Marble desktop has grown quite nicely and seems handy for a frequent traveller.
            I already use Openmaps (navfree) as navigator on my Nexus devises and it's not bad.
            Right now I have four identical virtual desktops with some widgets, CWP, Solar System, Luna and conky over a photo of a pre-dawn sky at home, maybe I'll set one op with this Marble.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Mouse1.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	640309

Comment

Its really easy to make animated and/or scripted wallpapers since KDE 4.9. Though I switch it off because I find it too fun to play with and it makes me super unproductive.

Comment

Working...
              X