X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE - I like it

Hello KFN.

I was curious about OpenSUSE 12.3 and had to give it a spin. I can't remember if I have ever been 'swimming outside of the Debian stream' this is a whole new experience for me. Anyway here are some of my impressions.

First impression was before I even got the Live USB running, for some reason the usual *buntu way of using the create-USB-tool in Kubuntu couldn't load the SUSE .iso which was quite annoying since I didn't know that it wouldn't. A look at the OpenSUSE wiki said that I should install SUSE imagewriter, and kubuntu channel on G+ suggested unetbootin. Unfortunately both imagewriter and unetbootin had some sudo trouble to even start for me. Best way as on many other occasions was the CLI way, also suggested on the Kubuntu G+ community, a freshly formated USB stick and the command in the .iso directory

Code:
    dd if=opensuse.iso of=/dev/sdb
    Note; As far as I understand, the OpenSUSE live disk/USB don't give you the option to save storage/data inbetween live sessions, which I find handy running *buntu live sessions on public (possibly hazardous) computers.

The live USB session was nice and nothing to complain about. Installation was head on and very much like Kubuntu. The only thing that made me hesitate was the partitioning with more options and where Kubuntu say "use existing partition table" was in the SUSE installer simply saying "Import", which I found confusing.

Once installed OpenSUSE and KDE 4.10 go hand in hand. I found it nicely integrated and the SUSE dark theme is out of the box a pleasant first impression. Many complain about the greyish stock KDE theme that meet the user in Kubuntu, maybe especially prior to the latest wallpaper. I don't see any reason to complain about the default SUSE/KDE theme. The default desktop options are 7 in total and on top of the usual picture, colour etc there's marble globe, picture of the day, animated wallpapers and mandelbrot.
    I realized that the occasional graphical glitches and hick-ups I've learned to live with in Kubuntu wasn't in OpenSUSE, usually I have these when I'm to add a widget or rearranging panels. My favorite browser is installed by default and looks ok by default, but doesn't integrate as well as the extra firefox-KDE package available to Kubuntu users (possibly available in SUSE too, but with my lack of experience I haven't found it).

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	647943Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot02.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	647944
    Default plasma-theme (marble desktop come by default) and moved default panel to top and added a task-icons panel at bottom. I like the sys-tray icons - monochrome and simplistic style.

I had some trouble to get the WiFi firmware running, after some search and questions it was as simple as jockey, although not as obvious, there is a hidden installer one have to run from command line.

Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
    One thing that I'd like to see more of in other KDE distributions is YaST like implimentation. Think of YaST as a Muon/Kinfocenter/Systemsettings all-in-one. Some are simply links to the usual KDE stuff, like Kinfo center or Apper (there's no muon as default), but there's also other features like system information, basicely a hwinfo with a GUI, YaST really give me a good impression, I haven't even tried half of all the resources there, so I can't really give a review of the inner workings. Either way YaST gather all the tools in one place.

Name:	yast.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	647945Click image for larger version

Name:	yast02.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	647947
    YaST main menu and YaST Hardware information.

For those of us used to debian systems the 'apt' installer is called 'zypper', as easy to use and from my impression powerful and versitile tool for package management. I like the neat and tidy look of it. Apart from installing with zypper there's the GUI Apper as in Kubuntu and something what OpenSUSE calls one-click-install (something like getdeb) at software.opensuse.org and searching for clementine player http://software.opensuse.org/package...erm=clementine

Name:	zypper.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	647946
    zypper found my favorite burning mammal

Brief summary after 3 days of usage; OpenSUSE is a very polished KDE distro and the fact that they taken the effort with YaST and made their own addition to KDE it seems to me that they take KDE serious, rather then many other distros who have KDE as a second or third alternative to Gnome or it's derivatives. I couldn't really say if OpenSUSE KDE is a keeper for me in the long run, as I feel too .deb dependent at the moment and I'm way too fond of kubuntu-backports ppa. That said, with KDE being so snappy in OpenSUSE it makes me think that it's less resource demanding and setting up a Blender/Graphics workstation with a rock-solid-no-extras OpenSUSE is tempting. Next couple of weeks of evaluation on OpenSUSE on this laptop may give the answer.

b.r

Jonas
    Last edited by Jonas; Mar 25, 2013, 12:12 AM.
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Funny -- I just took OpenSUSE 12.3 for a spin myself. The installer is absolutely incredible. You can very much fine tune the package collection before anything gets written to the hard drive. Quite an accomplishment. It is the most sophisticated installer I've ever seen.

If you want something that'll stay up-to-date, convert your installation to a Tumbleweed rolling release. I suspect it'll provide you with a similar fresh-from-the-compiler experience that we get with the Kubuntu backports PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Funny -- I just took OpenSUSE 12.3 for a spin myself. The installer is absolutely incredible. You can very much fine tune the package collection before anything gets written to the hard drive. Quite an accomplishment. It is the most sophisticated installer I've ever seen.
      I think there's been so much talk about openSUSE lately on G+ and mentions elsewhere that I just had to try it myself.

Yes, the installer is excellent, however the "import" partition setting made me slightly annoyed and the fact that I wasn't 100% sure I choose the correct partition - partition Gambling ftw :cool:

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      If you want something that'll stay up-to-date, convert your installation to a Tumbleweed rolling release. I suspect it'll provide you with a similar fresh-from-the-compiler experience that we get with the Kubuntu backports PPA.
      Thanks, I hadn't seen that! I have been looking for a stable rolling KDE distro, not sure I'm so keen on compiling prop graphics drivers every other week though :-/ Think I'll stick with this install for some weeks and when I've got used to it and boored by it, I'll go further to the 'edge'. After all, what's the point in testing if you don't brake it?

You tested the GRUB/Boot utility? There's some GRUB-EFI solution there. I'm not experienced with UEFI or GRUB for that matter, but you've done some research on it. And if I don't remember wrong, isn't OpenSUSE team in avid development of their own UEFI and key-sign solution?

edit; not to forget this very cool feature! https://build.opensuse.org/
      b.r

Jonas
      Last edited by Jonas; Mar 25, 2013, 01:42 AM.
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
        You tested the GRUB/Boot utility? There's some GRUB-EFI solution there. I'm not experienced with UEFI or GRUB for that matter, but you've done some research on it. And if I don't remember wrong, isn't OpenSUSE team in avid development of their own UEFI and key-sign solution?
        Well, I actually never got the system to boot after the installation. I wanted to use ELILO rather than GRUB, but I must have messed something up. When I start the machine, ELILO gripes about a formatting error in a configuration file and then just hangs.

As far as Secure Boot goes, I'm not using it. And I have no intention to. So while all the drama with key signing is indeed unfortuante, it's also the one part of UEFI that I don't care to figure out. I purposefully don't want to to tie my software to my hardware that closely.

Comment

Either of you see btrfs installer capability? I might do a VM test to find out...

Please Read Me

Comment

/me reaches into recess of memory...

Yep, I believe it's one of the available options during the disk partitioning phase.

Comment

That image of the Yast menu reminds me of the Mageia control centre when I was using that distribution a few months back. I liked that distribution except for two things - 1. It's bootup and shut down times were quite slow and it didn't have any backports meaning you could not upgrade any packages. Other than that it is a good distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Either of you see btrfs installer capability? I might do a VM test to find out...
                Yes I believe there is.

Comment

Note; As far as I understand, the OpenSUSE live disk/USB don't give you the option to save storage/data inbetween live sessions, which I find handy running *buntu live sessions on public (possibly hazardous) computers.
                  You can add "bs=20M" (or whatever size extra space you want) to the end of the dd line to give you some persistence in the USB for saving things. I've done it with bs=1024M to give me an extra gig to store changes. There's other options in the dd man page if you need them, like filesystem type, etc.

If you need proprietary drivers, I wouldn't use Tumbleweed. Right now there's nothing in it anyway, they always empty it out right after a new release to make room for the new stuff. It's better I've found to just add the extra KDE repos to keep KDE and it's apps fresher. This is the link for the updates:

If you want KTP (Telepathy) you'll have to add that repo too. I really wish they'd include that by default, but they don't.

YaST is a great tool, one of the things I've always loved about SuSE/openSUSE, but it can be a minefield for a new Linux user. You want to hose your system, YaST gives you the tools to do it. But if you know what you're doing it's great for fine-tuning a system to get the most from it. Sure beats doing everything from config files.
                  Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

Just about any Linux distro is easily hoseable. Ever play around with the various dpkg --force things? Quite hose-ating. But also quite powerful. With great power comes great responsibility, &c.

Comment

I have opensuse 12.3 a shot recently as well. I was impressed, but not quite enough to motivate me to adandon kubuntu!

Yes, the installer is slick, and yast seems to be a powerful configuration tool. Firefox was well integrated with kde by default. One thing I did notice was that startup and shutdown times were noticeably faster than my kubuntu 12.10 install.

On the downside, Libreoffice was still only at 3.6 and they haven't fixed the menu drop shadows either (I was expecting better due to the number libreoffice and kde developers who work for suse).

After using zypper to grab all the latest package updates, I went to install flash and the package dragged in 168 (!) packages for some reason, most of which had nothing to do with flash or multimedia in general. But then I'm not used the way of rpm package management.....

So, if I wasn't already using kubuntu then I would be tempted.

Comment

Oh, and no rekonq installed by default in opensuse. Installed browsers are firefox, and (joy!) konqueror using the webkit engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
                          After using zypper to grab all the latest package updates, I went to install flash and the package dragged in 168 (!) packages for some reason, most of which had nothing to do with flash or multimedia in general. But then I'm not used the way of rpm package management.....
                          My first guess would be that the package was configured with the RPM eqivalent of what in DEB land we call recommends. These are packages that aren't required dependencies, but will get installed anyway unless you specifically say you don't want them. I wonder if openSUSE's Flash package includes some of these that are GNOME-related?

Comment

If you use the live cd, it will pull everything in that they consider a "full" install the first time you run the package management. Just be careful with the extra repos. The "apt" way is to always install the highest version unless pinned. The "zypper/yast" way is to install according to repo priority. You can set the repo priority with Yast > Software Repositories. You can hose an openSUSE install pretty quick. One thing I noticed with 12.3 is the new apper update applet. It actually updates according to the highest version (which is nice), but doesn't require a password to install anything.
                            Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I must admit that never had too much love to OpenSuse. But I do admit that OpenSuse 12.3 is a magnificent version. Undoubtedly, the best OpenSuse in its history (and the 12.2 was good). However, no change to Kubuntu or Linux Mint KDE for anything in the world .....

Comment

Working...
                              X