X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow in Spring

Member: Arran

Might be having a bad time...

"Residents in parts of Arran fear they will remain off the national grid until Friday as areas of Scotland continue to be hit by severe weather..." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21916761

No electricity for a week
    Last edited by arochester; Mar 24, 2013, 02:50 PM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Here's hoping he's doing OK.

Even where I am, fairly close to the centre of England, things aren't exactly pleasant. Nowhere near as bad as they're having it in Arran though.

I've heard some talk of this possibly being "the coldest March since 1962", and I'm not finding that hard to believe at all.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Well, I just finished 3 hours of shoveling over foot tall snow drifts from a 120 ft. long driveway. My Indiana and much of "fly over" USA got the white crap dumped all over. global warming my butt...

Comment

8" - 12" forecast through tonight. I received 4" - 6" since yesterday, and it is still snowing (lightly at the moment).
        I'm staying home today (I've been high-centered in my driveway before!). I don't shovel my long driveway; got a guy who comes by and plows when at least 4" have accumulated. I expect he will be by later this afternoon/evening.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 25, 2013, 01:00 PM.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Geez, it was cold here too - got to 11 last night!

In Celsius, if course - Hah!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :cool:

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Geez, it was cold here too - got to 11 last night!

In Celsius, if course - Hah!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :cool:
            I know, it ALMOST makes me feel guilty. Almost. Now excuse me while I wander outside--in bare feet, short sleeves, and Capri pants--to water the flowers...which have been blooming continuously...throughout the entire 'winter.'
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

11°C at night?! It's alright for some!

Right now in the 15 storey block of flats (a.k.a. 'apartment building' for readers in the US) where I live, there are warning signs by the exits telling us to beware of falling ice from the roof.

A chunk of ice can build up quite a speed falling that far... I'm quite literally risking injury or potentially even death just by leaving the building. A neighbour showed me today a huge, ugly bruise on his upper arm / shoulder from where he got hit by such a chunk as he stepped out of the door.
              Last edited by HalationEffect; Mar 25, 2013, 03:42 PM.
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Yikes! Well, DYK and I could get a sunburn...

...that's bad too.

Please Read Me

Comment

LOL! A sunburn! Pfffttt...

My dream is (if money was no object) to 'up sticks' and move to a desert somewhere, build an underground bunker with a bunch of solar panels above-ground to be my home, and live happily ever after. Yep, I hate humidity* that much. Never having to be cold in the daytime (but nice, cool nights) and almost never having to experience precipitation would be icing on the cake.

* I'm now musing on why we call it "humidity" when the weather is mild or warmer, but we call it "damp" when the weather is cold... even though it's the same thing.
                  Last edited by HalationEffect; Mar 25, 2013, 05:33 PM.
                  sigpic
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I'm still try to figure out why you call cookies "biscuits" when everyone knows biscuits go with sausage gravy and cookies go with cold milk.

BTW, there's PLENTY of cheap desert land around the Southwestern USA and much of it nearly free. You could probably fit your entire island into open territory in Arizona or New Mexico. That's not intended as any sort of insult - I'd rather live in England!

Actually, I think the main reason why Southern California is so popular is precisely because of the low humidity, but still combined with temperate weather and ocean shores. I think we average around 50% during the day and 70F.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hehe, actually we have both biscuits *and* cookies over here; cookies are considered to be a sub-set of biscuits. Generally speaking, cookies are always round(ish), while biscuits can be round, square, rectangular, or whatever shape. We do have savoury biscuits... but they usually have a picture of a dog (the intended consumer) on the packet.

I'm still waiting for a good explanation of why you guys mangle the pronunciation of "buoy" so badly, yet manage to pronounce "buoyant" correctly... boggles my mind!

I'm pretty sure that I would LOVE the SoCal climate... just not so sure about the earthquakes though! What little we get in the way of quakes over here are so minor that many don't realise that there was one. I think the strongest quake we ever had was around a 6.0, and that was getting on for a century ago. Anything much above a 4.0 is newsworthy over here.
                      sigpic
                      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Earthquakes are just one of our seasons here:

Drought, Fire, Flood, Earthquake

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                          actually we have both Tories *and* Conservatives over here; Conservatives are considered to be a sub-set of Tories. Generally speaking, Conservatives are always round(ish), while Tories can be round, square, rectangular, or whatever shape. We do have savoury Tories... but they usually have a picture of a Margaret Thatcher (the Iron Lady) on the packet.
                          There, fixed that for you.

What's a KFN thread without a little unrelated political bit, hmmmm?
                          Last edited by SteveRiley; Mar 27, 2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

You know how when, as a youth, if you do something that comes back to bite you in the arse, it can cause you to fear and avoid that activity for the rest of your life?

Well... in June of 1987, I was newly eligible to vote (having turned 18 a few months earlier) and I voted for Thatcher* in the General Election. Put me off of voting for the rest of my life!

(Edit) * Considering that I was among the children that she snatched milk from in the '70s, I really should have known better.
                            Last edited by HalationEffect; Mar 28, 2013, 04:53 AM.
                            sigpic
                            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              There, fixed that for you.

What's a KFN thread without a little unrelated political bit, hmmmm?
                              ROFL ... "and if you tell kids today they wont believe you"

Thatcher makes me think of this British(?) site I used to love almost 10 years ago (oh my), it's all sillyness and childish at it's best .. ah well at it's 'lowest' - this flash video is swedish though I have no idea what it means .... I think the milk-theif is lasering other things with her eyes .. not sure, in the end you can buy kebab with VISA or Mastercard - http://www2.b3ta.com/jada/

Where were we, snow in spring? I wish there were a internet ban here on people who say they water their outdoor plants wearing slippers in "winter", while my indoor flowers die when I open a window!! The only one I can trust on this forum is Snowhog who actually living further north then me on this forum

Either way back to what actually counts around these parts of the interwebs - sillyness and loveness

http://www2.b3ta.com/i-love-you/

another fav http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/

b.r and soon spring!

Jonas
                              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                              X