X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need legal team contact details

Hi.

I have developed a series of products for linux users (ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint) that I would like to market. However, as they are all branded with the logos of the five listed OS's I will need permission from the lawyers. I assume that Ubuntu and Kubuntu are both handled by canonical, not sure.

Can you please give me an email address (via pm) that I can use to contact the relevant person.

Much appreciated.

Originally posted by bigseb View Post
    Hi.

I have developed a series of products for linux users (ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint) that I would like to market. However, as they are all branded with the logos of the five listed OS's I will need permission from the lawyers. I assume that Ubuntu and Kubuntu are both handled by canonical, not sure.

Can you please give me an email address (via pm) that I can use to contact the relevant person.

Much appreciated.
    Nope. You don't need any special permissions as long as you don't do anything stupid with them like use the icons and claim them to be your property. Also, its openSUSE not OpenSUSE, openSuSE, OpenSuSE, Suse, SuSE or any other variation. Are you using any of the icon sets like oxygen?

Rule of thumb is you can use it as long as you credit the original authors somewhere.

By the way, I am also South African.

Comment

Howzit bru. I won't be crediting anyone anywhere. Basically the logo (eg the gear thing between kubuntu and forums at the top of this page) will be on the product. Really need to get in touch with the legal guys on this one way or another, that's just how business works.

Comment

Howzit bru. I won't be crediting anyone anywhere. Basically the logo (eg the gear thing between kubuntu and forums at the top of this page) will be on the product. Really need to get in touch with the legal guys on this one way or another, that's just how business works.
        Well are you using the logo to indicate the platforms etc which you support? Then you don't really need permission again because you are a third party vendor, be careful though that you don't imply association though. Its the same as when software developers don't all phone Microsoft to ask if they can say that their product works on Windows XP/Vista/7 etc. Nonetheless, rather safe than sorry.

openSUSE and Novell: http://www.novell.com/company/legal/trademarks/ (needed details are on the left.)
        Kubutnu http://www.kubuntu.org/legal indicates you have to ask whoever owns the logo. I'm assuming that Canonical owns it but maybe somebody else can confirm it.
        Fedora is very detailed and explains various use cases. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal...markGuidelines

Fedora quote:
        Business web sites

In the past, community members have inquired whether it is permissible to show support for Fedora by:

offering Fedora Media for sale at a retail business or web site
        displaying a link to the Fedora Project using the Fedora Trademarks from a business web site
        displaying the Fedora Trademarks as part of a business that provides services for clients using Fedora

The guidelines relating to such usage are set forth in this section.

It is permissible to use the Fedora Trademarks on business web sites, provided that:

the web site has non-Fedora primary branding
        the design logo hyperlinks to the Fedora Project website, http://fedoraproject.org/
        the use does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by Red Hat or the Fedora Project
        the use of the Fedora Trademarks does not imply an association with or endorsement of any non-Fedora goods or services
        the site does not use visual styling that could be confusing to viewers or visitors as to whether the site is hosted by or on behalf of the Fedora Project

Provided these guidelines are observed, it is permissible to use the Fedora Trademarks to sell Fedora Media, and to advertise services for Fedora-based systems (installation, configuration, troubleshooting, etc.)

Comment

Thanks. I will will follow up on those links.

I can't really go into detail into detail but it would be like a t-shirt with the Kubuntu logo on it. (Its not a t-shirt; as I say, I can't go into detail about the product). Fedora are already on board. Still waiting on confirmation from Ubuntu, openSUSE and Mint. Once I have more information I will post some pics in this thread.

Comment

I can't really go into detail into detail but it would be like a t-shirt with the Kubuntu logo on it. (Its not a t-shirt; as I say, I can't go into detail about the product). Fedora are already on board. Still waiting on confirmation from Ubuntu, openSUSE and Mint. Once I have more information I will post some pics in this thread.
            Awesome. Good luck.

Comment

CORRECTION: Its Fedora is not on board, Mint is. My mistake. Apologies to all for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...
              X