This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calligra

Hi, I use an old PC (or, more: 4 old PC's about same type but divers chips equipement, DELL Optiplex SX270, with Celeron or Pentium, and an 4 y old emachine laptop from Acer with AMD64) and the new KDE4 full versions are generally slow with them) to write reports (3..4 pages long letters with a lot of inserted jpeg pictures). Calligran seems to work faster than LO or OO in such applications for the JPEG delivered by my photo camera (NOKIA Handy X3-00). But Calligra has a bad figure: only the newest versions have all the functions I wish! Calligra is yet under development . The second important job for my PC is to elaborate land maps and routes and print them out as screen shots as printing facilities are not available in current geographic systems... And as modern screens are more large than high, I need a OS beeing able to turn 90 degre the screen. in other case, you loose as much resolution that you can sometimes not get the street names etc. any more. Turn the screen is really easy with KDE. My problem is that such a OS and office with the usual other applications (about the same beeing in the tiny OS Puppy Linux, only 120 MB ISO squashed xz) produces often installations of a lot of GBytes + long starting times (I shutdown very often, as I use the PC at divers places).

Is there a Linux system offering an extremly compact KDE4 installation and Calligra?

try going into system settings>desktop effects and disable them , then open muon and install the "kubuntu-low-fat-settings" package , this will turn off a lot of extra services and free up some resources for you then reboot,,,,,,,how much RAM do you have in these boxes , and I assume you have a swap partition on each ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
    X