X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GTK/GNOME conspiracy

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/a...spiracy-theory

<QUOTE>Many developers feel that with the advent of GNOME 3, GTK has become deliberately developed as a GNOME-only tool, to the exclusion of its other applications.</QUOTE>

Am I happy with QT/KDE/Kubuntu!

We need a reliable GTK to QT conversion program. There's a couple good GTK apps some folks would like for KDE...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/a...spiracy-theory

<QUOTE>Many developers feel that with the advent of GNOME 3, GTK has become deliberately developed as a GNOME-only tool, to the exclusion of its other applications.</QUOTE>

Am I happy with QT/KDE/Kubuntu!
      Qt is in my opinion (mind you, I only have limited developer experience) a substantially superior toolkit especially when factoring in QML and QtQuick.

I still like that GTK is around though because competition is always good.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting article, thanks for posting.

Comment

To get an idea of the attitude of GNOME / GTK devs towards their users, check out the following 2 links:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=485846

http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/...ing-in-threes/

The first link is especially telling (in particular comment #14)... even though a laptop on battery power is far more likely to be used outdoors, in high ambient light conditions, and the opposite is true for when a laptop is running on mains power, GNOME's power management will not permit the user to set a higher brightness when on battery power. It only allows either the same brightness or lower brightness.

Having a laptop's battery last a bit longer is not so useful if its screen is too dim to read. And yet the GNOME devs mark the bug as WONTFIX...
          Last edited by HalationEffect; Mar 14, 2013, 06:02 AM.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

If only Qt's license was LGPL earlier on then we would have chrome/chromium, Firefox/Thunderbird, Inkscape, as Qt apps instead of GTK. Heck the Gnome project is the direct result of licensing concerns!

I'd even go as far as to say that if the license was LGPL earlier then LibreOffice might have even been QT on all the platforms instead of that awful VCL.

When it comes to serious, native, cross-platform apps there is no other toolkit except Qt. QML/QtQuick is going to be a seriously big game changer especially since people are becoming more and more aware of the serious draw backs associated with web apps and best of all QML can run in the browser! The iOS and Android ports are almost done. Ubuntu phone is QML based. Plasma Active is another great QML platform. Oh and lets not forget Maemo/Meego/Sailfish or BB10.
            Last edited by dmeyer; Mar 14, 2013, 06:21 AM. Reason: Accidental Quote

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
              To get an idea of the attitude of GNOME / GTK devs towards their users...
              I've seen this too, with a GTK2 feature I sometimes use a lot with vim, tear off menus. GTK3 removed this, severely disappointing developments that had made extensive use of them. I watched a thread where the GTK guy was by turns dismissive, condescending, and arrogant, to those pleading for a feature essential to their designs. A while ago, now, before Qt was prominent. I wouldn't know, but I guess projects have stayed on GTK2, with its faults.
              Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                I've seen this too, with a GTK2 feature I sometimes use a lot with vim, tear off menus. GTK3 removed this, severely disappointing developments that had made extensive use of them...
                Obviously they removed it! If its a feature it must be removed - that is the Gnome way!!!

Comment

No kidding: They should just change the name of it to "Desktop for Dummies" because that's how they view their users.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    No kidding: They should just change the name of it to "Desktop for Dummies" because that's how they view their users.
                    That is why I finally switched to Kubuntu, Gnome (and its forks) was just way too trimmed down and dysfunctional, coming from Windows, which I have to say, the user can tweak and have a fair amount of control over almost everything (I am talking older Windows here, lol), KDE was a perfect replacement, being laid on top of Linux is a huge bonus too.

Comment

Working...
                    X