This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User

Hi everyone. Just joined and thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I am a big fan of Linux and have been mucking about with different distros for the last 4 years. Kubuntu and Fedora are currently my faves. Started off with Ubuntu but have lost interest in it, mainly 'cos of Unity.

I would love to use Linux as my main OS but as I use CAD software for a living there really isn't any way out of Windows.

Welcome to kubuntu, and the forums.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by bigseb View Post
        Hi everyone. Just joined and thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself.
        Hi there.

I am a big fan of Linux and have been mucking about with different distros for the last 4 years. Kubuntu and Fedora are currently my faves. Started off with Ubuntu but have lost interest in it, mainly 'cos of Unity.
        I lost interest in Ubuntu because of the Gnome applications. KDE applications are generally far superior.

I would love to use Linux as my main OS but as I use CAD software for a living there really isn't any way out of Windows.
        Kubuntu is my main OS because my interests changed. I bought a lot of Windows software that I no longer need or want to run.

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the forums bigseb.

Linux is, and has been, my only OS. I don't do CAD and can't offer any suggestions for replacement software, but everything I've ever needed or wanted to do has been doable on Linux. I'm guessing, but can't definitively state, that you can find suitable replacements for the window$ software you're currently relying on.

At any rate, enjoy Linux when you are using it, and take the time to go through its vast selection of software!
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

2D CAD yes, Autodesk/3D CAD no, at least not yet. I've read many Autodesk users call for a linux or stand-alone Autodesk *nix release so they can stop maintaining crappy windows and it's associated anti-virus and other nonsensical requirements. Surprisingly, nothing is forthcoming from them. The Apple Fanbois have a version but nothing for linux yet.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm also a new user, and I've completely ditched Windows. I dual booted for a while, but realized I hadn't booted into Windows for any serious amount of time for months. I'm a new convert to KDE though.

Comment

Welcome, bigseb! Most of all, enjoy your time here and have fun with Kubuntu. Many of us are refuges from Windows, converting to full-time Linux use. Your CAD needs may be a short-term limitation on full conversion.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  2D CAD yes, Autodesk/3D CAD no, at least not yet.
                  Again, with the understanding that I don't do CAD and know absolutely NOTHING about its availability or lack thereof for Linux, a quick visit to my friend Google yielded this page of the 10 best free Linux CAD apps. Its results include some 3D stuff.

I've read many Autodesk users call for a linux or stand-alone Autodesk *nix release so they can stop maintaining crappy windows and it's associated anti-virus and other nonsensical requirements. Surprisingly, nothing is forthcoming from them. The Apple Fanbois have a version but nothing for linux yet.
                  That's really weird. I mean, I picture the folks nearby at Caltech and JPL doing the amazing things they do--like, you know, send people and equipment to other planets and stuff--and I cannot imagine they're doing their designing on anything BUT *nix boxes.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Totally agree here: "What? A free OS without virus and malware issues and we can call it AutoDeskLinux? Hell Yes!" - You would think, right?

Please Read Me

Comment

FreeCAD has picked up a lot of steam in the last couple of years. Not a replacement for commercial cad yet, but there is potential. Good luck on your new OS.
                      FKA: tanderson

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. As far as CAD goes, no, unfortunately there is not really much out there for commercial users. VariCAD comes close but isn't really ideal for the work I do i.e. injection mould design, engineering consulting. Solidedge is also available for Linux but costs an arm and a couple of legs.

The latest breakthrough is that MoI runs flawlessly in Wine. This is great... a nurbs surface modeller for LInux... woo hoo. However as long as 98% of my work requires a parametric solid-modeller I am stuck with Windows. That's not to mention software for rendering, mouldflow analysis, FEA and a host of catalogues... ho hum...

Still love mucking about with Linux though...

Comment

hello, I installed kubuntu 12.10 few days ago and I liked it very much

Comment

Twenty years ago I spent a brief period as a headhunter for a placement agency that specialized in recruiting CAD drafters. If memory serves me, and it may not serve me very accurately at my age, most of the high end drafting programs at that time, such as PRO/Engineering and Catia to name a couple ran on large Unix based mainframes. There was no way the PC's of those days could handle such huge programs. This may still be true today, but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                              most of the high end drafting programs at that time, such as PRO/Engineering and Catia to name a couple ran on large Unix based mainframes. There was no way the PC's of those days could handle such huge programs. This may still be true today, but I don't know.
                              Not so true anymore. About year 2000 pc's were fast enough that the big cad packages started to move to windows.

My first version of Unigraphcs(1999?) was V15 on windowsNT 4, 300mhz, running in a hummingbird emulator. I could not believe how stable that setup was(seriously). Fond memories.

I had a conversation with a guy trying to get his spaceball working in Unigraphics on a linux station and he told me that UG was still using motif for the gui. so I am guessing that linux/unix are in maintenance mode. For linux, I think the biggest problem is the poor graphics situation.
                              FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
                              X