This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinuxQuestions gives KDE Best Desktop and Unity 7 out of 10

Several days ago I noticed this post here which shows that KDE is the most popular Desktop Environment. It shows the rating for many other packages. The only problem is that there are a low number of overall votes.

I hope that this year, Blue Systems are able to promote public awareness of the advantages of KDE, and also get more computer suppliers to have Kubuntu pre-installed.

I'm hoping for good things in KDE's future as well. I was a user of gnome for years, but Ubuntu's move to gnome 3 - Unity really put me off. I found both very dissapointing. I tried to like it, really... then I found KDE and didn't need to try!
    It's Ubuntastic!
    -Thinkpad T500- Custom build of KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 x64 & Windows 7 dual boot
    -Desktop- Ubuntu 12.04 & Win7 dual-boot AMD-FX6300 3.5GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, 2GB VRAM Radeon HD7870, 8GB Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.

Comment

Look at the sample size. I highly doubt that you could draw anything meaningful from it. Still, KDE is probably the most widely used.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        Still, KDE is probably the most widely used.
        That might be true of other distributions but I think there are far more users of Ubuntu than Kubuntu. :mad:

A quick look at the Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint websites show that those distributions actively promote links to the various DEs available for download. I don't see that when looking at the Ubuntu website. Presumably Canonical have always wanted it that way. I'm just glad that the other distributions openly acknowledge the alternatives that they have available.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
          That might be true of other distributions but I think there are far more users of Ubuntu than Kubuntu. :mad:

A quick look at the Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint websites show that those distributions actively promote links to the various DEs available for download. I don't see that when looking at the Ubuntu website. Presumably Canonical have always wanted it that way. I'm just glad that the other distributions openly acknowledge the alternatives that they have available.
          The DE usage difference in Ubuntu comes down to the fact that Ubuntu used Gnome 2 as default when KDE was an absolute mess in the early 4.x series.

Also I don't blame them for focusing on a specific DE. openSUSE focuses on KDE. Ubuntu focuses on Unity. Fedora specializes on Gnome 3. Mint focuses on Cinnamon. They might do more to advertise alternative DEs but they do focus and default to a specific one.

People like to stick to the defaults. Hence why Linux struggles to gain traction in the dekstop. Manufacturers default to Windows pre-installed.

Comment

Working...
          X