This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.10 available for 12.04 & 12.10 through backports

KDE 4.10 binaries are available for 12.04, 12.10, and the upcoming 13.04. Information on installing them are listed here.

Anyone tried this yet? Any real advantage to 4.9.4 which comes with 12.04?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

dont know about the advantage but it came roling in on my 12.04 partition today/this evening havent hard tested it yet ,,,,just did my nightly sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and hear came a 400+ package upgrade a cursory run threw wint OK ...... but I had to get back to 12.10 to keep trying to figure out a prob I'm having with netflix

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny:

but I had to get back to 12.10 to keep trying to figure out a prob I'm having with netflix :smile:
      You are running Netflix on 12.10? How do you do that? I thought it required Silverlight.

Let us know how you find KDE 4.10.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
        Vinny:

You are running Netflix on 12.10? How do you do that? I thought it required Silverlight.

Let us know how you find KDE 4.10.

Frank.
        I am ,,,,and it dose ,,,,,,LOL

hear http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-run...inux-tutorial/

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks for that! I'll give it a try when I get back home. Traveling in the States at the moment with only my Android phone and an AT&T SIM card for a data connection.

Frank.

Comment

I updated my laptop to 4.10 this evening, it wasn't a flawless upgrade: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...creen-Problems (I ran into the same issue ScottyK did). Other than that, so far so good. I haven't used it long enough to say if it is truly better than KDE 4.9.5 on Precise, but I'll let you know what I find.
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Benny:

That thread you linked me too says a lot.

I think I'll stick with what I have for the time being. It works well enough for my needs.

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
                I updated my laptop to 4.10 this evening, it wasn't a flawless upgrade: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...creen-Problems (I ran into the same issue ScottyK did). Other than that, so far so good. I haven't used it long enough to say if it is truly better than KDE 4.9.5 on Precise, but I'll let you know what I find.
                Aaaa yes I had that as well but had opend synaptic as soon as the upgrade was done to see if I could install netflix in the 12.04 install and synaptic told me I had 2 broken packages ,,,,I told it to fix them and it did , so I never noted the anomalies ,,,,,,,,installing netflix was not an option in the 12.04 install it wanted to remove to meny goodys ,,,,,,,,it's kind of a frankenbuntu ,,,,,,net upgraded thrugh every ver from 11.04 and some extra PPA's as well now .......... and will no longer do a "do-relece-upgrade"

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
                  I think I'll stick with what I have for the time being. It works well enough for my needs.
                  That was my feeling as well. Honestly, I was quite nervous doing the upgrade on laptop in fear I was going to lose a perfectly working install. When the upgrade hit the snag mentioned in the thread I was even more worried (since I hadn't fully read that thread until the upgrade went awry), but luckily it was easily resolved and so far I have enjoyed 4.10 (especially the performance I have seen in dolphin). With that said though, I am still going to test 4.10 more before doing the upgrade on my desktop/server (I need to know for sure it is worth it).
                  Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                  tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I updated my pc desktop with kubuntu 12.10, all ok, great job thank

Comment

Kmix = Much Improved
                      Notifications = Much improved
                      Nepomuk - Much improved
                      Speed = Somewhat improved
                      Memory usage = Improved
                      Printer Management = Massively improved

So far that's what I have noticed since yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                        Kmix = Much Improved
                        Notifications = Much improved
                        Nepomuk - Much improved
                        Speed = Somewhat improved
                        Memory usage = Improved
                        Printer Management = Massively improved

So far that's what I have noticed since yesterday.
                        I've been running 4.10 since yesterday on my lappy(spec below). Just a overall feel - it's a improvement, slightly snappier. I've not noticed any oddities. Not tested printer service and use Veromix instead of Kmix, but notice that Kmix looks better - like Veromix.

Pulseaudio and Kmix have always been the Achilles heel for me to advice a new Linux user to get Kubuntu/KDE - I think those days are over (possibly prior to 4.10). The general feel of my 12.10 system with 4.10 is that it's as 'simple' as Mint for the newbie with the advantage to customize to user need.

Can't wait to KDE 5.0!

B.R

Jonas

EDIT; PS; I can't remember when ppa/backports Kubu pack team been this fast with a KDE release!! Brilliant and big ups to the kubuntu team! thank you.
                        Last edited by Jonas; Feb 07, 2013, 08:09 AM.
                        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                          I've been running 4.10 since yesterday on my lappy(spec below). Just a overall feel - it's a improvement, slightly snappier. I've not noticed any oddities. Not tested printer service and use Veromix instead of Kmix, but notice that Kmix looks better - like Veromix.

Pulseaudio and Kmix have always been the Achilles heel for me to advice a new Linux user to get Kubuntu/KDE - I think those days are over (possibly prior to 4.10). The general feel of my 12.10 system with 4.10 is that it's as 'simple' as Mint for the newbie with the advantage to customize to user need.

Can't wait to KDE 5.0!

B.R

Jonas

EDIT; PS; I can't remember when ppa/backports Kubu pack team been this fast with a KDE release!! Brilliant and big ups to the kubuntu team! thank you.
                          Obligatory: There is no KDE 5. Only Frameworks5 and libPlasma2. The first intends to separate kde libraries into smaller chunks so that the are less huge dependencies in KDE hopefully increasing the adoption of KDE libs in more QT apps be they KDE based, commercial, FOSS or otherwise. libPlasma2 is the evolution of Plasma and offers greater integration of QtQuick, more unified stuff etc.

Comment

benny:

>luckily it was easily resolved and so far I have enjoyed 4.10 (especially the performance I have seen in dolphin). With that said though, I am still going to test 4.10 more before doing the upgrade on my desktop/server (I need to know for sure it is worth it). <

Well, then, I guess I'll watch and see how it goes with some of you guys that have tried it to see if there is enough advantage for me to switch. I need to install 12.04 64 bit on my main laptop, as I've stuck with 32 bit up until now. However, on this netbook that I am using now (Asus X202E), I find that 64 bit is VERY fast, and I have no problems with 32 bit software that I still need.

However, one step at a time.

Thanks for the input. I'll watch for more.

Frank.

Comment

Vinny:

installing netflix was not an option in the 12.04 install it wanted to remove to meny goodys ,,,,,,,,it's kind of a frankenbuntu ,,,,,,net upgraded thrugh every ver from 11.04 and some extra PPA's as well now
                              Does this mean that you can't get Netflix running on 12.04, or you just couldn't get it running on your much modified 12.04 install?

I have 12.10 on this netbook because of its touchscreen (which I thought might be better supported), but 12.04 on everything else. I prefer 12.04 for what I see as greater stability. 12.10 is working better now, but I didn't find it that great initially.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                              X