This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    HOW could the good name of Linux be besmirched by using it to control a rifle.... which KILLS animals and people.....although it is probably not good for cockaroaches except when used as a club! lol

But...wait......Linux is neutral....it can be used for anything.....so say the people who produce it.....

Now....what we need is an automatic cockaroach killer that is run by a Linux OS! lol

in that way....Linux would, indeed be....neutral! lol
    Where did anybody say this? Sometimes I think youre arguing with imaginary liberals in your head....

Comment

My training in logic/mathematics gets in the way all the time.

Congrats, whatthefunk, on your reply #16. I read what he said (#15) three times and could make no logical sense of it whatsoever sufficient to make any reply!

Maybe we need a new emergency rule for rambling posts: Be able to summarize your point in one (grammatically correct) sentence, limit of two commas, no semicolons, perhaps with a word limit--or, make no post at all.

Talk like you're applying for a (real) job, selling yourself and your point to execs.
      Talk like you're a teacher, trying to inform and impact an interested student.
      Talk like you're a police officer, intervening in a crisis situation.
      Talk like you're a human being trying to get a date with another human being.
      Like ...
      Last edited by Qqmike; Feb 09, 2013, 07:50 PM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

... But do NOT talk like some of the winners in their Grammy Award, rambling-and-disoriented-desperately-seeking-a-focus acceptance speeches last night! ;-)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

LOL picking at nits, picking at nits!

But...from the OP:

I wonder if Linus ever thought his kernal would be used this way?
          In what other way is one to take the part of the sentence "would be used this way?"

The word: "this" used in a sentence so constructed usually means that there is at least some small amount of judgment call as to what is being described in the sentence: e.g.:

Teacher to student: "Do you really think that THIS is an appropriate sentence for the answer?"

The word "this" implies that the use of Linux to control a gun is:

a) appropriate
          b) inappropriate

And, since this is a Linux forum, and Linux fora are mainly populated by denizens of the "liberal" way of thinking, ipso, posto, and factotum....

The implication of the word "this" is that "this" is not a good thing.

But, since Linux is "neutral" .....why would anyone ask the question?

I mean the evil capitalists use Linux, the good and wonderful Communists use Linux, there is the evil in so many ways Ubuntu Christian Edition and the wonderful Ubuntu Satanic Edition...

There is even a Mylie Cyrus edition....

What would Linus think about his kernel being so OBVIOUSLY WASTED on a PINK Linux...I mean...give me a break....a PINK Linux!!!

woodnitpickersmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 11, 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

lol
            Please read my previous post antecedent to this post.

But, here is an article that is a perfect example of how "progressives" changed a perfectly good term and in knee jerk fashion, just cannot allow the "old", and therefore not good because it has not "progressed" term to be used.

I can distinctly remember a history class in which the professor said that "the U.S. was NEVER a melting pot and we should just move on beyond the term".

Which later led to the "ethnic pride" and "separationist" into different "agendas" and "disabilities" etc. etc. of the last quarter of the last century.

now...SHOULD we move beyond things such as stereotypical and biased terms....YES....but...it could have been done without throwing the baby out with the bathwater......

And thus we would have a blending of the good of the "old" and the good of the "new"....

No need to read the article, except in that it really DOES tell how to improve schools.....and a new "theory' is not the way....

But, a teacher is exemplified because she says that her class is like a "pie"....that everyone in the class is PART of the pie....

Well....why not use "melting pot"? Everybody is melted into the pot.....

Now....WERE WE EVER a REAL....melting pot....probably not.....

But again,. since the progressive has to throw out the old to make the new.....

What was lost was that although the U.S. was probably never a "melting pot"....

THE GOAL.....was to be a melting pot....

secret for fixing bad schools from the NEW YORK TIMES...see I'm NOT a conservative! lol

But....the true progressive just cannot abide anything old......

just as the true conservative thinks that "change for the sake of change" is always bad...

we can't seem to be part of a pie or melting pot any more...

too many agendas.

woodmeltedmyscreensmokelol
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 11, 2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              LOL picking at nits, picking at nits!

But...from the OP:

In what other way is one to take the part of the sentence "would be used this way?"

The word: "this" used in a sentence so constructed usually means that there is at least some small amount of judgment call as to what is being described in the sentence: e.g.:

Teacher to student: "Do you really think that THIS is an appropriate sentence for the answer?"

The word "this" implies that the use of Linux to control a gun is:

a) appropriate
              b) inappropriate

And, since this is a Linux forum, and Linux fora are mainly populated by denizens of the "liberal" way of thinking, ipso, posto, and factotum....

The implication of the word "this" is that "this" is not a good thing.

But, since Linux is "neutral" .....why would anyone ask the question?

I mean the evil capitalists use Linux, the good and wonderful Communists use Linux, there is the evil in so many ways Ubuntu Christian Edition and the wonderful Ubuntu Satanic Edition...

There is even a Mylie Cyrus edition....

What would Linus think about his kernel being so OBVIOUSLY WASTED on a PINK Linux...I mean...give me a break....a PINK Linux!!!

woodnitpickersmoke
              This post is so full of logical leaps and biases that it doest warrant a proper response.

Comment

Working...
              X