This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolling Release

Since canonical is trying to decide on whether or not ubuntu would be a rolling release by the start of Ubuntu 14.04 - what would blue systems do with Kubuntu, will they follow the idea of the Rolling release idea or keep the current system which is release kubuntu for every six months?
    Desktop Specs: Kubuntu 13.04 IA-32 | 500GB HD | Radeon HD 5450 | Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core "Northbridge" | 2GB RAM | Kernel 3.8.0 | DE: KDE 4.10.4

I find it more likely that kubuntu will follow the release model of ubuntu as they rely on allot of packages developed for ubuntu (almost everything other then the kde stuff).

Comment

i would prefer we drop ubuntu and switch to a debian base with our own patches on top. but thats just me.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        i would prefer we drop ubuntu and switch to a debian base with our own patches on top. but thats just me.
        True, but the Ubuntu repos usually have more updated packages. Debian Sid (looking at DistroWatch's page on Debian) currently has 4.8.4, where KDE is at 4.9.5 and almost ready to release 4.10 soon enough!
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          That would be a completely different distro, you would basically have to start from scratch (well, start with debian and work up again from there).

Kubuntu is not a full distro, it is just ubuntu repackaged with kde. Without ubuntu as a base we would lose all the patches they make to the generic packages as well as all the DE agnostic stuff that they advance as well (grub, etc). Kubuntu does not really have enough developers to become a completely separate distro from ubuntu nor would most of them want to.

Comment

Working...
          X