X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Larry buys his yachts; or, a study in sleazy income generation

A close examination of Oracle's deceptive and duplicitous Java installer

Congratulations, Oracle.

Java is the new king of foistware, displacing Adobe and Skype from the top of the heap. And it earned that place with a combination of software update practices that are among the most user-hostile and cynical in the industry. In coordination with Ben Edelman, an expert on deceptive advertising, spyware and adware, I've been looking at how Oracle delivers Java to its customers and who it has chosen to partner with. The evidence against Oracle is overwhelming.

Specifically:
    • When you use Java’s automatic updater to install crucial security updates for Windows , third-party software is always included. The two additional packages delivered to users are the Ask Toolbar and McAfee Security Scanner.
    • With every Java update, you must specifically opt out of the additional software installations. If you are busy or distracted or naïve enough to trust Java’s “recommendation,” you end up with unwanted software on your PC.
    • IAC, which partners with Oracle to deliver the Ask toolbar, uses deceptive techniques to install its software. These techniques include social engineering that appears to be aimed at both novices and experienced computer users, behavior that may well be illegal in some jurisdictions.
    • The Ask.com search page delivers inferior search results and uses misleading and possibly illegal techniques to deceive visitors into clicking paid ads instead of organic search results.
    Read the whole thing, and spend the rest of your day in a frothy rage.

It's probably tough to be able to afford a Hawaiin island without being sleazy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8931OB20121004

Comment

For Windows users who are tired of such 'foistware' there is a nifty bit of software called Ninite.

It automates the process of updating many popular software packages, such as Java, Flash, Firefox, VLC, and many, many more (no more clicking next -> next -> next -> OK), and it automatically opts out of any bundled software offers. If you have a bunch of 3rd party software on your Windows system, it can save quite a bit of time with updates. It also makes it a lot more likely that 3rd party updates will get installed sooner rather than later, which is beneficial to your PC's security.

Not as good as the package management that we Linuxers know and love, but better than nothing
      Last edited by HalationEffect; Jan 22, 2013, 03:22 PM.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

The thing that bothers me is that almost everyone I know in real life has all that crap on their pc's. People have no idea how dangerous it is to operate a computer these days. People ask me why do people create viruses and I say because the Russian Mafia wants access to your bank accounts and personal information so they can bleed you dry. All the sudden the realization hits them that it's not just some evil nerd trying to screw up your pc. Then I tell them PLEASE don't do any banking or pay any bills on your computer PLEASE. I went to thanks giving and my cousin had her laptop there and she let me use it. So I downloaded malwarebytes and scanned her computer. I was like you have like over 80 infections on this pc. I said your not banking or anything with this are you. She said yes and then saw the fear in my eyes. I said I would call my bank and let them know my bank accounts are probably compromised. I said this computer is beyond fixing. I removed what I could and said you need a new computer. I didn't have time to order system images and re install.

Comment

A follow-up, with a different focus.

I hope that those of you who tutor friends and family about how to use the Internet will include warnings about those terrible free download sites, such as:

* Softpedia
          * FileHippo
          * Major Geeks
          * Download Crew
          * Files Tube
          * MediaFire
          * 4Shared
          * Turbobit
          * CNet (yes, even they've gone to the dark side)

Check out some horror stories below.

* The dangers of downloading free software
          * Pick a download, any download!
          * How deceiving ads trick you on download sites

Comment

The reason for such deceptive practices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m1rk4xLkTG1qdz8mio1_500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	640229

It all boils down to GREED.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              A close examination of Oracle's deceptive and duplicitous Java installer

Read the whole thing, and spend the rest of your day in a frothy rage.
              Good thing I already stopped many, many years ago using that Java dreck, and stuff like that will make sure I'll continue to avoid it.
              Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
              http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
              http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Working...
              X