This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

curiously Rekonq got a 298 and Konqueror a 98 on the http://html5test.com/ page.
    but both will display the vid.

VINNY
    Try konq with the webview plugin. And they only need to support the <video> tag and the codec to render the video, not everything in html5

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
      Try konq with the webview plugin. And they only need to support the <video> tag and the codec to render the video, not everything in html5
      not shure I know how to do this ........and are you talking about rekonq or konqueror ? ........sory for being dense

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

not shure I know how to do this ........and are you talking about rekonq or konqueror ? ........sory for being dense

VINNY
        konqueror, you need to install the webkit kpart and then set it to open the using that in the file associations or default applications, though it has been a while since I used konq.

Comment

konqueror, you need to install the webkit kpart and then set it to open the using that in the file associations or default applications, though it has been a while since I used konq.
          Aaaa OK thanks

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Worked for me, no sound, full screen worked but kinda blurry in fullscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
              Worked for me, no sound, full screen worked but kinda blurry in fullscreen.
              no their was no sound to it , and full screen would be blurry because of the small aspect ratio of the vid .

1 with sound will be coming soon (maby tomorrow , later today)

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

please comment on whether you all can see it or not
                Working fine here, Firefox 19.

visit http://html5test.com/ to see how compliant your browser is)
                Firefox 19 scored 387 plus 10.

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
                The worst thing is Microsoft NEVER updates its browser, or repairs bugs. (Except for security.) Every browser has bugs, so every bug in IE 10 is here to stay for years and years. It blocks the use of new things, even if every other browser is able to use them, because so many people use this pseudo-browser. Because of not updating their rendering machine, every IE is a pain in the you-know-where. If they would only start updating their rendering machine, like every other browser does...
                Trident is the rendering engine in Internet Explorer. Each new version of IE includes an updated Trident. What is it that you're criticizing? Older versions of Firefox and Chrome also lack features and have outdated rendering engines. Internet Explorer may not enjoy the rapid frequency of updates we see with other browsers, but then, in an enterprise setting, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

Trident is the rendering engine in Internet Explorer. Each new version of IE includes an updated Trident. What is it that you're criticizing? Older versions of Firefox and Chrome also lack features and have outdated rendering engines. Internet Explorer may not enjoy the rapid frequency of updates we see with other browsers, but then, in an enterprise setting, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
                  Fast updating is not necessarily a good thing, I agree. When Firefox started their rapid updating, in the beginning half of my extensions broke with every update. (They solved that, luckily.)
                  But IE is the opposite. For Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome there's no reason not to update, so their rendering machines are up to date, unless people really choose to block updates. As soon as every rendering machine supports a certain css/html/svg/... feature, you can start using it. Or if there's a bug in a rendering machine (they all have), the bug gets repaired sooner or later.
                  On the other hand: in IE 6 nothing (nothing!) has been updated or repaired concerning trident, their rendering machine. Every bug in trident that existed when IE 6 came out, still exists. Every missing feature still misses. Same goes for every version of IE.
                  On XP (still very much in use) the highest version you can use is IE 8. In practice this means you can't really use things IE 8 doesn't support, or you have to do all kind of extra things to make something work in IE 8. Microsoft said it was not possible to let IE 9 run on XP because of hardware issues, but the newest versions of all other browsers do. So I (and lots of other people) think this was more a decision of the sales department to persuade people to buy Windows 7 (and now 8).
                  I have never read one good reason why Microsoft doesn't update Trident. They do repair security issues with IE, so it's possible to update it. You've got all kind of workarounds to make IE behave. Why can't Microsoft do that with updates? Something simple like round corners (border-radius), why didn't Microsoft put that in an update for older versions of IE? So you didn't have to make (pretty complicated) constructions with images to get simple round corners.
                  I write tutorials about building websites. I don't exaggerate if I say that making workarounds for older versions of IE takes at least 25 percent of my time. You can read on any blog etc. about sitebuilding every sitebuilder has this same problem. Not updating trident must have cost billions worldwide.
                  IE 6 was released in 2001 and was never updated, and is still pretty much in use. For ten years you had to make workarounds for this browser. Ten years! IE 10 is just released. How long will this browser be around? All that time it will slow down development, because what's not in trident now, never will be in it.

So if you ask what I criticize: it's the not updating of trident. Without knowing a good reason why Microsoft doesn't update.
                  Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Jan 13, 2013, 06:01 AM.

Comment

On XP (still very much in use) the highest version you can use is IE 8. In practice this means you can't really use things IE 8 doesn't support, or you have to do all kind of extra things to make something work in IE 8.
                    IE 6 was released in 2001 and was never updated, and is still pretty much in use. For ten years you had to make workarounds for this browser. Ten years! IE 10 is just released. How long will this browser be around? All that time it will slow down development, because what's not in trident now, never will be in it.

So if you ask what I criticize: it's the not updating of trident. Without knowing a good reason why Microsoft doesn't update.
                    So the real question is not why doesn't Microsoft update IE6, but why the hell don't their users update to the latest version!

IE6 should not be developed, it should not even be used any more... I would not support it if I was a web developer and would ask the users to update to a newer version. As long as the web developer still support it then the users still think they can use it (though I understand it isn't as simple as that, but from what I know the use of IE6 has dropped off by allot in the past couple of years and it really is time it should die once and for all). I would expect that Microsoft still support some of their past browsers with security patches, but as with any released version of software I would expect them not to add new features to the old version (they already have, and given it a new version number!!). The same thing happens in opensource software, older versions can still be supported and maintained, but don't get newer versions and the users are expected to update to the newer versions if they want the new features.

There are lots of reasons for this:
                    1. You don't want new features on a stable system, that is what causes the system to become unstable.
                    2. It is a pain to maintain 5 different versions of software if you are just backporting security patches, never mind if you backport new features as well.
                    3. If you back port new features then you are just making the old version the same as the new version, so why bother doing it at all?
                    4. If you only backport some features, how do you decide what you backport? Why backport only feature y, instead of feature x as well?
                    5. The user still needs to update their computer, if they haven't updated to ie8 already then do you really expect them to update to a newer version of ie6?
                    Last edited by james147; Jan 13, 2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

1. You don't want new features on a stable system, that is what causes the system to become unstable.
                      2. It is a pain to maintain 5 different versions of software if you are just backporting security patches, never mind if you backport new features as well.
                      3. If you back port new features then you are just making the old version the same as the new version, so why bother doing it at all?
                      4. If you only backport some features, how do you decide what you backport? Why backport only feature y, instead of feature x as well?
                      5. The user still needs to update their computer, if they haven't updated to ie8 already then do you really expect them to update to a newer version of ie6?
                      1) You may be right about some things. But something simple like adding support for border-radius shouldn't harm a system.
                      2) You're right about maintaining 5 different versions. That's exactly my point: why not using ONE version of trident, and update that? We're only talking about the rendering part, not something very deep buried inside the os.
                      3) That's up to Microsoft. They could, like every other browser maker, indeed maintain one version of the whole browser.
                      4) That's a decision every browser maker has to make all of the time. Not for backporting, but for adding. What do you add first? w3c, which maintains the standards for html, css, etc., has suggestions about that. Microsoft is a (influential) member of w3c, so they could even influence the suggestions.
                      5) Most people have updated to IE 8. IE 6 is mostly used by companies that build an intranet specially adapted to IE 6. Since IE 6 was not standard compliant at all (like most browsers at that time, to be fair) they are locked in now. Mid 2014 they have to update, because XP and IE 6 won't be supported anymore.
                      I've been troubleshooting Windows computers for years. I learned lots of people (majority?) have no idea how to update anything. And Windows update was not always as good working as it is now. A lot of people don't even know Internet Explorer exists. They think they start 'Internet'.

By the way: I don't support IE 6 anymore, like most webdevelopers today. But till about a year ago you had to, because so many people were using it. I can't force people to update their browser. The only thing I can do (and lots of developers do) is for example giving IE 8 no round corners. Hoping people will install a different browser (or a newer version of IE, if they can).

Comment

Works fine for me, even in FULL screen mode!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

1) You may be right about some things. But something simple like adding support for border-radius shouldn't harm a system.
                          2) You're right about maintaining 5 different versions. That's exactly my point: why not using ONE version of trident, and update that? We're only talking about the rendering part, not something very deep buried inside the os.
                          3) That's up to Microsoft. They could, like every other browser maker, indeed maintain one version of the whole browser.
                          4) That's a decision every browser maker has to make all of the time. Not for backporting, but for adding. What do you add first? w3c, which maintains the standards for html, css, etc., has suggestions about that. Microsoft is a (influential) member of w3c, so they could even influence the suggestions.
                          5) Most people have updated to IE 8. IE 6 is mostly used by companies that build an intranet specially adapted to IE 6. Since IE 6 was not standard compliant at all (like most browsers at that time, to be fair) they are locked in now. Mid 2014 they have to update, because XP and IE 6 won't be supported anymore.
                          I've been troubleshooting Windows computers for years. I learned lots of people (majority?) have no idea how to update anything. And Windows update was not always as good working as it is now. A lot of people don't even know Internet Explorer exists. They think they start 'Internet'.

By the way: I don't support IE 6 anymore, like most webdevelopers today. But till about a year ago you had to, because so many people were using it. I can't force people to update their browser. The only thing I can do (and lots of developers do) is for example giving IE 8 no round corners. Hoping people will install a different browser (or a newer version of IE, if they can).
                          1) You cannot really tell what should and shouldn't harm a system, even a simple new feature can break things in weird and spectacular ways and given this people (mainly companies that have to maintain 100s of computers) need to know that a new maintenance update is not going to do this.
                          2) They do, they release it with the new version of IE. Releasing it for older versions of IE has the problems mentioned in 1 and 5 as it is effectively adding new features to an older browser version that should be stable. Not to mention that keeping backwards compatibility like this can be a huge pain to maintain as you have to support the older versions and can never drop features that are no longer needed or make changes to the api to make things easier to maintain/develop.
                          3) Actually, most browsers (and large software projects in general) maintain a few versions, normally one (or mote) stable version, one development version and sometimes one (or more) LTS versions. And like software that does this, new features are added to the development version only and only security fixes are added to the stable and LTS version IE basically does this like all other software projects. The problem with only maintaining one version is the people that don't want to upgrade to a newer (possibly broken) version will be left without security patches to keep them safe.
                          4) But the decision for backporting would be a nightmare as you then also have to think about what it might break and make sure it does not break anything. It would make the maintenance a nightmare.
                          5) The problem really lies with the fact that Microsoft should have never developed such a crappy browser in the first place, it have caused nothing but trouble for basically everyone on the internet. The current versions are better, but no where near as complete (spec compliance wise) as the and if they cannot even make their current version spec compliant then how are they going to add to their old versions to make them more spec compliant.

Basically Microsoft screwed up big time with developing their browser in the past and there is not much they can do about it nowadays so web developers are still paying the price and probably will do for awhile to come.

Comment

OK got a new one up with sound ,,,,,,you may half to clear the browser cache and restart the browser or the old one will be displayed ,,,,,,at least I had to on firefox I guess firefox keeps a cached copy laying around ?
                            AND I have a proper index.html in /var/www/ so ,,,a real web page at 209.102.243.176 .....with a link to the html5 video test , and my music and e-books :cool: ,,,,,,O and a favicon.ico to .....LOL

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

OK got a new one up with sound ,,,,,,you may half to clear the browser cache and restart the browser or the old one will be displayed ,,,,,,at least I had to on firefox I guess firefox keeps a cached copy laying around ?
                              AND I have a proper index.html in /var/www/ so ,,,a real web page at 209.102.243.176 .....with a link to the html5 video test , and my music and e-books :cool: ,,,,,,O and a favicon.ico to .....LOL

VINNY
                              Works here on chromium.

Comment

Works here on chromium.
                                sweet ,,,,,, the sound is a bit low I cant turn up the internal mike without horabel feedback ,,,,,,mabe an external would be better ?

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X