This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haiku - Not a Linux distribution

Just read an interesting article about the operating system Haiku.

The screenshot (image) as displayed in the article reminds me of Windows 3, but looks quite interesting non the less.

Add a die hard BeOS fan (it almost became my main OS ) I might take umbrage comparing haiku to Windows (win 3 really?? Win 95 maybe...), but I can sort of see how one might see it that way

The haiku folks have done a fantastic job recreating this awesome operating system, but unfortunately there has been absolutely no innovations or improvements from the 12 year old BeOS, and there is zero interest in doing so. I still love it though.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 03, 2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

What made it remind me of Windows 3 is the icons displayed on the top of the desktop and no taskbar with "start" button

Comment

Oooh then you need to try it out then It does have a panel/start menu/systray up there at the top right corner. Like KDE haiku/BeOS is rather configurable.

Scuttlebut has it that if Steve Jobs had not come back to Apple, bringing Next with him, BeOS may well have been the basis for the next MacOS.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          What made it remind me of Windows 3 is the icons displayed on the top of the desktop and no taskbar with "start" button
          Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Oooh then you need to try it out then It does have a panel/start menu/systray up there at the top right corner. Like KDE haiku/BeOS is rather configurable.
          Thats funny! I was looking at laptops today and I have no choice but to look at them with Windows 8... Windows 8 has no start button it does have a task bar if you know where to look.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Scuttlebut has it that if Steve Jobs had not come back to Apple, bringing Next with him, BeOS may well have been the basis for the next MacOS.
            BeOS was modified to run on PowerPC-based processors: first Be's own systems, later Apple Inc.'s PowerPC Reference Platform and Common Hardware Reference Platform, with the hope that Apple would purchase or license BeOS as a replacement for its then aging Mac OS.[2] Apple CEO Gil Amelio started negotiations to buy Be Inc., but negotiations stalled when Be CEO Jean-Louis Gassée wanted $200 million; Apple was unwilling to offer any more than $125 million. Apple's board of directors decided NeXTSTEP was a better choice and purchased NeXT in 1996 for $429 million, bringing back Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.
            Be Inc. also released a stripped-down version of BeOS for Internet Appliances (BeIA), which soon became the company's business focus in place of BeOS. BeOS PE and BeIA proved to be too little too late, and in 2001 Be's copyrights were sold to Palm, Inc. for some $11 million. BeOS R5 is considered the last official version, but BeOS R5.1 "Dano", which was under development before Be's sale to Palm and included the BeOS Networking Environment (BONE) networking stack, was leaked to the public shortly after the company's demise.
            Preview releases have been archived here: http://macintoshgarden.org/author/be-inc

BeOS was an amazing OS at i9t's time, and what Hiaku (BTW-- You know why it's called that, right?) has done is impresive; but it won't be more than a novelty OS
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I sure do, but almost never saw them. Thankfully people put all the error haikus on the web.

I almost cried when I lost my install disk

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
                ! I was looking at laptops today and I have no choice but to look at them with Windows 8
                Actually, yes you do have a choice -- check out System76.

Comment

ZaReason too

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                  Actually, yes you do have a choice -- check out System76.
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Last time I checked, hardware from System 76 and ZaReason was more expensive than stuff with Windows pre-loaded -- and that's including the "tax" for the operating system.

Comment

Well, maybe, Steve. I just compared the $875 Gazelle Pro from System76 to Dell's laptop lineup. For a Core i7 CPU in a 15.6" laptop, with comparable memory and disk, I'm not sure there are impressive savings to be had. One would expect a small, domestic business to have difficulty competing on price alone with a mass producer using offshore production facilities. I would hope that most people who know enough about Linux to want it, would part with a few extra shekels to support the open source community and domestic workforce -- I would (but I'm not in the market at the moment). The Windows machine needs more memory, for example, so there's a cost advantage for Linux.
                      Last edited by dibl; Jan 07, 2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Well, I'll admit that "last time I checked" is better defined as "many moons ago." It's likely that prices have changed since then. And the domestic manufacturing is indeed a plus, something I'd be willing to pay extra for. Didn't realize that -- is it mentioned anywhere on System 76's web site? I just spent 10 minutes cruising the place and didn't see such an indication.

Comment

Yah, "workforce" may be too strong -- we know where the main components come from, don't we? They play up their Denver location and a photo of the "workforce" that works there. I'm not sure whether there are any assemblers in that crowd or not -- I also cannot find definitive information about their production location.

Comment

Steve the "Keeping the assembly team stocked with production materials" job requirement would appear to indirectly substantiate a Denver-area production facility.
                            Last edited by dibl; Jan 07, 2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Indeed it would. Good find.

Comment

Working...
                              X