X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat drinks Tim Hortons take out coffee, and loves it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxk...e_gdata_player

Edit: That's my ex-girlfriends cat, one of two orange and white brothers.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Jan 02, 2013, 02:52 PM.

Heh, my first thought was mentioned by the Youtube commenter - is caffeine safe for cats to consume? I also wondered if the coffee was made with non-dairy "milk", or the real deal, and whether non-dairy was safe for cats. Cats have evolved as obligate carnivores, and as such their livers are unable to deal with many plant derived substances. For example, you'd be surprised at just how little aspirin constitutes a lethal dose for a cat, and if you have a cat that has a rash from flea bites, don't even think of putting tea-tree oil on the rash. Alcohol is pretty toxic to them too.

Then I saw the vid, and took note of just how tiny was the quantity of coffee that the cat drank. Way too small to worry about, IMO.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      Heh, my first thought was mentioned by the Youtube commenter - is caffeine safe for cats to consume? I also wondered if the coffee was made with non-dairy "milk", or the real deal, and whether non-dairy was safe for cats. Cats have evolved as obligate carnivores, and as such their livers are unable to deal with many plant derived substances. For example, you'd be surprised at just how little aspirin constitutes a lethal dose for a cat, and if you have a cat that has a rash from flea bites, don't even think of putting tea-tree oil on the rash. Alcohol is pretty toxic to them too.

Then I saw the vid, and took note of just how tiny was the quantity of coffee that the cat drank. Way too small to worry about, IMO.
      LinuxFanboy is me, heh, and the 'cream' in the coffee is 1/2 & 1/2, not an artificial whitener.

As for aspirin, my vet prescribed 1/4 baby aspirin every second day for my cat's heart condition (88mg/4=22mg every 48 hours). Getting her to swallow it is another matter, lol.
      Last edited by tek_heretik; Jan 03, 2013, 05:26 AM.

Comment

I should have said acetaminophen (eg. Paracetamol, Tylenol), as that would have been a better example - there is no safe dose of that for cats. Pretty much any amount of that will cause liver failure.

I'm guessing that your cat's heart condition meant that aspirin was being used as an anti-coagulant? As I understand it, aspirin isn't prescribed to cats for painkilling purposes, as the dosage level required to be even minimally effective as a painkiller is usually high enough to kill a cat.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I should have said acetaminophen (eg. Paracetamol, Tylenol), as that would have been a better example - there is no safe dose of that for cats. Pretty much any amount of that will cause liver failure.

I'm guessing that your cat's heart condition meant that aspirin was being used as an anti-coagulant? As I understand it, aspirin isn't prescribed to cats for painkilling purposes, as the dosage level required to be even minimally effective as a painkiller is usually high enough to kill a cat.
          Yep, anti-coagulant, but after I moved from the dumpy mould infested place I was living, she was fine so I stopped the pills, there were other meds as well that were costing me a fortune, that was several years ago, she will be 13 in April.

Comment

My cousin has a couple advanced veterinary degrees and runs a practice. Very small doses of aspirin are safe. But acetaminophen (paracetamol) is, in fact, toxic in all amounts, as HalationEffect mentioned.

One of my other cats (not the one observing a dist-upgrade) loves coffee beans. Whenever she hears me running the grinder, she runs into the kitchen for a beany treat.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              One of my other cats (not the one observing a dist-upgrade) loves coffee beans. Whenever she hears me running the grinder, she runs into the kitchen for a beany treat.
              Hmm, do you think she's trying to make a feline version of Kopi Luwak?
              sigpic
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Hmm, do you think she's trying to make a feline version of Kopi Luwak?
                Possibly. But since sifting kitty litter is most certainly not on my list of hobbies, I might be throwing away money with each and every turd. I don't care.

Comment

Possibly. But since sifting kitty litter is most certainly not on my list of hobbies, I might be throwing away money with each and every turd. I don't care.
                  Thanks for that, that's the 2nd good chuckle I've had today

The first was my 10 year old son showing me his school art project... he's drawn a picture of a guy karate-kicking Justin Bieber in the head. So powerful was the kick, that it resulted in Bieber's decapitation. When I was able to stop laughing, I told him it was possibly the greatest work of art I'd ever seen! I generally enjoy being a dad, but some days it's especially awesome.
                  sigpic
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for that, that's the 2nd good chuckle I've had today

The first was my 10 year old son showing me his school art project... he's drawn a picture of a guy karate-kicking Justin Bieber in the head. So powerful was the kick, that it resulted in Bieber's decapitation. When I was able to stop laughing, I told him it was possibly the greatest work of art I'd ever seen! I generally enjoy being a dad, but some days it's especially awesome.
                    Now THAT is funny! You know what else is funny, his last name, it sounds like somebody twapping their lips with their finger while humming.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                      You know what else is funny, his last name, it sounds like somebody twapping their lips with their finger while humming.
                      Hey HalationEffect...please get your 10-year-old son to do this and post a video on YouTube! You'll be F-A-M-O-U-S !

Comment

Hey HalationEffect...please get your 10-year-old son to do this and post a video on YouTube! You'll be F-A-M-O-U-S !
                        If I had something to record him with, I'd probably consider it
                        sigpic
                        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

What? No web cam?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            What? No web cam?
                            or smartphone? I was thinking the same thing, even digital cameras have video capabilities...

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              What? No web cam?
                              Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                              or smartphone? I was thinking the same thing, even digital cameras have video capabilities...
                              Yep, no webcam here. Also, no smartphone and no digital camera.

My feature phone has a camera, and I think it can even record video clips, but I lost the proprietary-connector-to-USB cable that connects it to a PC the last time I moved home. The phone has Bluetooth, and has a removable 1GB micro-SD card, but my PC doesn't have Bluetooth capability or a micro-SD card reader. Sure, I could buy a replacement cable, or a Bluetooth adapter or a card reader, but the occasions where I'd want to transfer data between my phone and my PC are just too infrequent (read: almost never) to justify even such a minor expense.
                              Last edited by HalationEffect; Jan 11, 2013, 08:18 PM.
                              sigpic
                              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X