This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Windows 8 Critique

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Heh heh heh -- and I thought it was just old fuddy-duddy me that had trouble with it. Yep, this is exactly how I found it -- unusable for anything serious. Thanks, GG!

Comment

Entertaining video, thanks for posting. Security at MS should check all the water coolers for hallucinogens.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
        Entertaining video, thanks for posting. Security at MS should check all the water coolers for hallucinogens.
        I believe it is too late. Luckily, Steve got out of there before they spiked the water coolers! Didn't you, Steve?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Luckily, Steve got out of there before they spiked the water coolers! Didn't you, Steve?
          Oooooh, look at the C O L O R S !
          Whee, watch me F L Y !

Comment

Watching that video is making me want to go out and buy a new Windows 8 pc just to see if I get the same expirience as the reviewer. Then nuke the OS and put Linux on it!

Comment

I had it installed in a vm on my laptop and played around with it for a couple of weeks and Brian Boyko absolutely hit the nail on the head with his assesment. I too, thought it might be me, just like Dible said in post #2 but it is awfull! It is like two teams set out to come up with something new, one team for the desktop interface and the other for the tablet interface at the opposite ends of the building and then as an afterthought bolted the two end results together.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                Watching that video is making me want to go out and buy a new Windows 8 pc just to see if I get the same expirience as the reviewer. Then nuke the OS and put Linux on it!
                You know, just to be a poopy-head, it would be interesting to take a hidden cam in to all the major stores (and maybe even some smaller ones) and see how they react to saying "but I don't want Windows, take it off and I will pay the price of the PC minus the cost of Windows".

Edit: I bet not one would say yes except some starving mom & pop corner store operation desperate to stay in business.
                Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 31, 2012, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Oooooh, look at the C O L O R S !
                  Whee, watch me F L Y !
                  MS stole yer colours and put 'em in their 'Fisher-Price' GUIs, lol. Bright garish colours are meant to stimulate kids, wake up their senses during their growth periods, I guess MS is aiming at a younger crowd, lol.

Comment

MS stole yer colours and put 'em in their 'Fisher-Price' GUIs, lol. Bright garish colours are meant to stimulate kids, wake up their senses during their growth periods, I guess MS is aiming at a younger crowd, lol.
                    When the consumer preview came out, I loaded it up in a VM and played around with it. My 7 year old son wandered into the office and looked at what I was doing. He wanted to know what that was, and I told him it was the new MS operating system. His view of the whole thing was perfect..

"Dad, that looks like it's for babies!"

How are adults supposed to take it seriously when my own kids are laughing at it?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK View Post
                      When the consumer preview came out, I loaded it up in a VM and played around with it. My 7 year old son wandered into the office and looked at what I was doing. He wanted to know what that was, and I told him it was the new MS operating system. His view of the whole thing was perfect..

"Dad, that looks like it's for babies!"

How are adults supposed to take it seriously when my own kids are laughing at it?
                      What a howl, I believe you!

Comment

I guess MS is aiming at a younger crowd, lol.
                        They tried that before, it didn't work out too well, and became a major embarrassment.

Comment

Win8 is (as intented to be) as a mobile OS.
                          The main problem is, that is the poorest ever designed mobile OS I have ever seen.
                          Good or modest mobiles has a way better designed interface.

Of course, giving to a desktop a smartphone interface is an absolutely idiot idea.
                          Desktops has designed for many more functions than phones (eg. programming?).
                          Oh well! MS Way (TM).
                          Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
                          AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
                          nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
                          eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

will look forward to your post in the UEFI section.

Comment

Just put it in a VM. Torture yourself for a while. Then enjoy retribution thusly:
                              Code:
                              rm -rfv ~/vmware/Windows-8

Originally posted by erigais View Post
                              will look forward to your post in the UEFI section.
                              Bwahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                              X