X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android alternatives?

Android alternative?
    Hi all!

There's something about Android that just really annoys me: control.

I have no control over things. Mobile doesn't seem to be so much as "your desktop where ever you are" as "someone else's desktop, the way they think you want it, without the ability to change things".

Some of this is to do with software. For instance, I'm big on online privacy/security, but at the same time, do like the ability not to have to enter the username/password on every single site (and often having to reset the password if I've forgotten it, which I inevitably will). My settings for Firefox are thus: ability to save passwords, and history/cookies, but the history/cookies are to be deleted when I've finished browsing (and close the browser). Adblock is also used to stop any adverts (which REALLY annoy me). :@ Last I checked, there just wasn't an option for this in Firefox for Android.

However, some of it is just to do with Android it seems. For instance, I can only disable certain default programs, I can't purge them. I've read that rooting might help (and keep meaning to get round to testing this out), but knowing myself I've still the feeling that something would annoy me.

What would be nice is a genuine "desktop in your pocket" experience. More than nice, that would be ideal, since carrying even a laptop&charger around the house (let alone anywhere else) is a pain. I've looked into replacing Android, but I've no idea how I'd go about this...has anyone done it? If so, what were your experiences like, and what with? I've read that devices need to be "flashed" - I've only heard this before in the context of replacing a BIOS, is it not possible simply to install from a .iso on a USB stick?

Moreover...am I just expecting too much? Am I misusing the tablet I have (Asus TF201), and expecting too much? My feeling is that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, and the TF201 certainly FEELS like a lightweight laptop (at least when docked) and so I should be able to treat it as such. Am I missing something?

I "root" all my android devices to remove the bloatware. I'm pretty sure you can install PlasmaActive (a version of Kubuntu for tablets) on that tablet, but rooting is required for anything remotely resembling installing a different OS.

Basically, go to XDA-Developers and search for your tab there. No doubt someone has a modified ROM and rooting instructions for you there. You can root without installing a modified ROM and the install Titanium Backup to purge programs you don't want.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I "root" all my android devices to remove the bloatware. I'm pretty sure you can install PlasmaActive (a version of Kubuntu for tablets) on that tablet, but rooting is required for anything remotely resembling installing a different OS.

Basically, go to XDA-Developers and search for your tab there. No doubt someone has a modified ROM and rooting instructions for you there. You can root without installing a modified ROM and the install Titanium Backup to purge programs you don't want.
      XDA? What's the ROM for too? I've got this image in my head that tabs and most other mobile hardware is just toned down laptops, with ARM architecture, and Flash disk memory - I guess I'm way off the mark?

Comment

Start here:

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/android-rom-and-rooting-dictionary-for-beginners/

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by ArminasAnarchy View Post
          Android alternative?
          There are many android rom out there you could try, I am currently running Cyanogenmod on my galixy S2, which is one of the most complete ones about. It doesn't come with all the crapware that normally ships by default and has a ton of extra features baked into it. But they are still android roms... if you want an alternitive to android you are going to have to look at IOS Windows phone 8, mego...

There's something about Android that just really annoys me: control.

I have no control over things. Mobile doesn't seem to be so much as "your desktop where ever you are" as "someone else's desktop, the way they think you want it, without the ability to change things".
          There is loads of control on the android platform, even without the need to root, don't like the homescreen/launcher then you can change it! don't like the email app, then change it... You cannot remove the default apps without rooting but you don't have to use them.

Some of this is to do with software. For instance, I'm big on online privacy/security, but at the same time, do like the ability not to have to enter the username/password on every single site (and often having to reset the password if I've forgotten it, which I inevitably will). My settings for Firefox are thus: ability to save passwords, and history/cookies, but the history/cookies are to be deleted when I've finished browsing (and close the browser). Adblock is also used to stop any adverts (which REALLY annoy me). :@ Last I checked, there just wasn't an option for this in Firefox for Android.
          I use the dolphin browser which has adblock and you can get lastpass intergration for it to sync your passwords between any lastpass supported browser (even firefox). I don't tend to store my passwords in my browser as there is no way to secure them in most browsers, but with lastpass everything is encrypted until you enter your master password.

However, some of it is just to do with Android it seems. For instance, I can only disable certain default programs, I can't purge them. I've read that rooting might help (and keep meaning to get round to testing this out), but knowing myself I've still the feeling that something would annoy me.
          There aren't many, if any good alternatives to this... rooting gives you ultimate control with the ability to add or remove anything you want... what more do you want? Once rooted you can even install a custom rom that the community or even you have baked.

What would be nice is a genuine "desktop in your pocket" experience. More than nice, that would be ideal, since carrying even a laptop&charger around the house (let alone anywhere else) is a pain. I've looked into replacing Android, but I've no idea how I'd go about this...has anyone done it? If so, what were your experiences like, and what with? I've read that devices need to be "flashed" - I've only heard this before in the context of replacing a BIOS, is it not possible simply to install from a .iso on a USB stick?
          The problem with phones is even if you flashed say, kubuntu on them it would not work well out of the box as many drivers would be missing as well as applications to handle the phone or other device specific features. Even custom android roms will not all work on all android phones, but only on the phones they where built for.

Moreover...am I just expecting too much? Am I misusing the tablet I have (Asus TF201), and expecting too much? My feeling is that if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, and the TF201 certainly FEELS like a lightweight laptop (at least when docked) and so I should be able to treat it as such. Am I missing something?
          Most phones and tables are based on the arm processor and need very specific drivers, this makes it harder to just compile your own OS for them and make it run on them. It is only recently (kernel version 3.8) that steps where taken to stop the need for so many different kernel forks on the arm processor and allow the general kernel to be compiled for most arm processors, which is where there are so many different versions of android that do not run on all arm phones.

Comment

ARM and x86 are as different as apples and Oldsmobiles. What you've learned about installing operating systems and manipulating boot loaders for x86 has almost zero transferrable utility into the ARM world. Sigh.

That said, if you want to "own" your Android devices, you must root them. Next, wipe them clean and install something from XDA Developers. I generally like stuff that's close to stock, although I must say I'm very impressed with Paranoid Android on my Nexus 10 and Nexus 7. Paranoid Android brings back the true tablet UI that Google has dropped, in favor of the single "phablet" UI shared by phones and tablets. RANT: when will OS companies ever learn? One UI cannot rule them all!

Titanium Backup and Root Explorer will be your most useful tools. With these, you can delete any application and file you wish. With great power comes great responsibility, of course; if you're new to the Android world, you have much to learn. But don't fear: it's close enough to Linux that you'll feel (mostly) at home. Enjoy!

Comment

Totally agree with SteveRiley (on this one ). I'm not using Paranoid ROMs on my devices, but when the final kinks are ironed out of Jellybean for my phones, I'll be trying it.

IMO, for new phone hackers I'd do as Steve says and stick close to stock or even leave it stock and use Titanium Backup to turn off or un-install the Bloatware that all companies seem to be in love with.

Please Read Me

Comment

I would really like to "screw my courage to the sticking point" and "root" my Android to get rid of the IE browser, and all the Verizon stuff that I will never, in any way shape or form ever use.

LOL......there really IS a way to change your android phone into KUBUNTU!!!

Go to Play Store and in search enter "ubuntu".

You will get a return for "ADW Ubuntu Theme"

You have to install the "ADW" application first but then you can install a variety of themes.

I then put a Kubuntu image on the desktop and there we were lol!

HOWEVER BE WARNED!!!!

a) there is a BIG BUG.... which, as far as I can determine is unreported!! I reported it to the site but have not heard anything.

For some strange reason, it starts sending out hundreds of copies of a text message, about a day after the install.

NOT A MALWARE text message, just a message that you, the user, sent to someone.

I thought that the phone had locked up one evening and got a phone call from a person to whom I had texted that he was getting continuous repeats of the text message that i had sent, maybe a half day before.

I mean HUNDREDS of repeats of the same message.

Now, I think that ADW is a very good company, and this is completely not something that they did "on purpose".

I think that it is just a "bug", possibly unique to the Ubuntu theme.

Possibly the bug is something about how the "skin" interacts with the actual mapping of the screen don't know.

But it took removing the theme to get it to stop.

Restarting the phone did not stop it.

but... it did look tres kewl when it was on the phone! lol

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...hemes-android/

woodsmoke

Comment

Cool tip, smoke! I love and use the Faenza icons on my desktop. Now I can use them on my phone!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Totally agree with SteveRiley (on this one ). I'm not using Paranoid ROMs on my devices, but when the final kinks are ironed out of Jellybean for my phones, I'll be trying it.

IMO, for new phone hackers I'd do as Steve says and stick close to stock or even leave it stock and use Titanium Backup to turn off or un-install the Bloatware that all companies seem to be in love with.
                    While not exactly bug-free, JB has been running sufficiently well on my devices that I'd now encourage folks to switch, especially to 4.2.1. Resource management is much improved.

The only problem with remaining on the OEM or carrier supplied stock is that you run the risk of an over-the-air upgrade clobbering all your work -- including losing root. You can manipulate a particular SQLite database to stop most of these, but it doesn't always work.

Comment

For my phones, the current iteration of JB removes auto-focus from the camera in video mode. As a member of a family with frequently hysterical (as in extremely funny) behavior - particularly from the female members - that is a deal breaker.

On second thought, I'm pretty sure they hold me in the same regard, so maybe out-of-focus video could actually be helpful! :cool:

Please Read Me

Comment

Have you tried the 4.2 iteration of JB? That fixed camera issues on my G2 that were present in JB 4.1.

Comment

Working...
                        X