This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux is dropping i386 support.

I just read over on ZDNet that Linux is dropping support for the 80386 family of processors for the next version (3.8).

Hopefully no one here has any i386's lying around that needs upgrading to 3.7.
    Last edited by bsniadajewski; Dec 13, 2012, 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

What about i586 or i686?

Edit: Nevermimd, I read the article, 486 and up is still supported, not that it will run with an X server and GUI, lol.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 13, 2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
      I just read over on ZDNet
      Heh, you where two minutes ahead of me in reading that article

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
      What about i586 or i686?
      No, just looks like some of the troublesome code that the i386 requires has been dropped. Though it will still be supported in the older kernels for years to come.

Comment

I try to stay on top of things with links to various tech sites like ZDNet, ComputerWorld and even Ars.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
          I try to stay on top of things with links to various tech sites like ZDNet, ComputerWorld and even Ars.
          Same, I was just about to post a link to the same article when I saw you already had

Comment

Distrowatch will have a lot of editing to do, most of their listed distros say i386 is supported, they gunna have to change that to i486. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
              Distrowatch will have a lot of editing to do, most of their listed distros say i386 is supported, they gunna have to change that to i486. :-/
              Only for newer releases, the old releases should still work with i386. Basically anything they have to update to the 3.8 kernel... i386 support is not magically going to drop from all current Linux kernels

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                Only for newer releases, the old releases should still work with i386. Basically anything they have to update to the 3.8 kernel... i386 support is not magically going to drop from all current Linux kernels
                True, the architecture is in the 'general' descrition as well as the release chart, I was referring more to the general description.

Comment

When I first read the title I thought that the 32 bit version of Linux was being dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                    When I first read the title I thought that the 32 bit version of Linux was being dropped.
                    That probably wont happen for another 10-20 years or more they are dropping i386 as no computer has used it for about 20 years and specific code for it was horrible to maintain.

Linux is very slow at dropping support for something Which I think is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X