Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sudden interest by game makers in Linux. Maybe here is why...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sudden interest by game makers in Linux. Maybe here is why...

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...-just-10-years

Microsoft goes from 93% to 20% market share of consumer computing devices in just 10 years

by Ron on December 10, 2012 - 10:49am, 8 Comments
    Here's an interesting statistic from Goldman Sachs. In just a ten year time frame, Microsoft has gone from owning 93% of the consumer computing device market share back in 2000, to owning 20% of the market share in 2012. This statistic includes Microsoft's Windows operating systems, as well as PCs and smartphones.

While Microsoft owns 20% of the market share, Android commands the market with 42% share while Apple owns 24% of the consumer computing device market share. However, Goldman Sachs believes that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will create a shift for Microsoft and allow the company to gain some more market share in the coming years. "Goldman Sachs views Microsoft's launches of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 this year, and their performance in the upcoming year, as critical if the company wants to expand its share of the consumer compute market, which is also becoming increasingly influential in the business market, as consumers bring their own computing devices to work, influencing workplace adoption of those devices," the report stated. This revolves around how well Microsoft's two new platforms do. "Nevertheless, we are optimistic that Microsoft will be able to regain some share in coming years assuming that adoption trends around the company's newly launched tablet and smartphone operating systems are positive," Goldman Sachs adds. Analysts at Goldman Sachs also believe that in order to offset the loss of one traditional Windows PC sale, Microsoft needs to sell approximately 5 Windows Phone or two Windows RT tablets. It is quite interesting to see how the consumer computing device market has changed over the years. For Microsoft's sake, lets hope the adoption rates for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 are good, so the company can reach a market share level equivalent of what it used to be.
    Source:
    Seattle Times

Not that I trust those statistics, but they make interesting viewing.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 11, 2012, 02:15 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Even given the high quality of the HALO games, particularly REACH...

One distinct reason might be the kids themselves.

I just finished with the "final project" part of the physical science class and two moms, one at the mention of it by the first, have had their kids get so irritated with the cost of MS gaming software that they proceeded to "hack/(I think root was probably the correct term), their Xboxes and promptly, of course, destroyed them.

The kids are now playing online games through laptops, some free some paid.

woodsmoke

Comment

I'm not really surprised of the drop in market share. 10 years ago we didn't have mini tablet computers (smart phones) and the vast majority of people were using desktop / laptop computers to use the internet.

As I cannot afford a car these days I travel everywhere on the bus and the number of young people using smart phones is quite high. The question is, will these people that are currently using iphones and Android phones switch to Windows phones? That is what Microsoft are gambling on but do Windows phones have the "apps" that these people want to use?

Comment

Microsoft hasn't lost market share in the desktop/laptop pc market. They just haven't gained in the mobile/tablet market. There is no way they can dominate mobile/tablet the way they have pc. They established pc infrastructure and put the boot on the neck of everyone that tried to enter. That can't be done in mobile.tablet. They will have to do it the old fashion way. By competing in the market of ideas and innovation. I don't believe they can. MS products are pedestrian and functional. They are not sexy. I'm waiting on a Firefox OS phone.

There isn't less pc/laptops in the world and most people that have mobile/tablets also have pc/laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
          MS products are pedestrian and functional. They are not sexy.
          You are the CIO of a major large multinational enterprise. You supervise a global IT operation, with a $750 million budget that represents 1.5% of your company's revenue. A significant portion of your compensation is tied directly to organizational performance and shareholder value. Every decision you make receives continuous, relentless scrutiny. Now, decide: pedestrian and functional, or sexy?

---

I am not arguing in favor or against either position. I'm simply attempting to illuminate an aspect of IT spend choices that sometimes goes overlooked in forums such as these.
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 11, 2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            You are the CIO of a major large multinational enterprise. You supervise a global IT operation, with a $750 million budget that represents 1.5% of your company's revenue. A significant portion of your compensation is tied directly to organizational performance and shareholder value. Every decision you make receives continuous, relentless scrutiny. Now, decide: pedestrian and functional, or sexy?
            With that kind of money and expectation flying around, a huge concern like MS should be capable of all three, shouldn't it?

Microsoft have attempted all three with their new products, but I agree with pauly to some degree. It seems the more they try to sex up their stuff, the more naff they seem. The biggest problem they have imho, is simply the Windows brand. Like Sega in the early 2000's, the name does much more harm than good. They seem to be doing OK with the Xbox brand, but everything Windows seems destined to drag in the eyes of users. It just isn't appealing. I wonder why...

I take your point though Steve.
            PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Working...
            X