Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wikipedia distributions histories, interesting stuff (w/'tree' graphs)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wikipedia distributions histories, interesting stuff (w/'tree' graphs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._distributions

Check out the 'family tree' *.png's (off to the right side of the lists), the Debian one is crazy, lots of scrolling, lol.

Edit: You might want to blow up the graph(s), it's a little hard to read 'fit to page'.

Edit 2: See post #5 for a more complete and up to date list link, courtesy of NickStone.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 08, 2012, 05:41 PM.

The graph is very cool.

You never would have known that opensuse, e. g., was a Slackware derivative now since OS uses RPM/Zypper instead of slackpkg/tgz.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
      The graph is very cool.

You never would have known that opensuse, e. g., was a Slackware derivative now since OS uses RPM/Zypper instead of slackpkg/tgz.
      Hmm, interesting, I did not know that either, you obviously scoured the graphs more than I did, lol.

Comment

Not only that, but you could click on the names of the various distros and you can go to that distro's homepage as well.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Linux distributions a full list

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            Hmm, archserver isn't on that list :S ... a little worried that I know that...

Comment

That's an even better list, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                Hmm, archserver isn't on that list :S ... a little worried that I know that...
                Tell the people who produce this site

Comment

Tell the people who produce this site
                  That's dedication! I'm guessing they must get a lot of their info from Distrowatch. Distrowatch as a measure of popularity is awful but as a place to find out about distro's its actually amazing. It always shows releases timeously, its database is extensive and it makes finding distros easy with its filtering and searching functions. It even shows the versions of packages that a distro runs as well as what the current version is. The reviews are sometimes excellent too.

Comment

Looking through the timeline I noticed that Arch isn't coming off the Slackware branch. I'm sure I read on the Arch website that it is a derivative of Slackware.

Comment

From their wiki

Judd Vinet, a Canadian programmer and occasional guitarist, began developing Arch Linux in early 2001. Its first formal release, Arch Linux 0.1, was on March 11, 2002. Inspired by the elegant simplicity of Slackware, Polish Linux Distribution, and CRUX, and yet disappointed with their lack of package management at the time; Vinet built his own distribution on similar principles as those distros. But, he also wrote a package management program called pacman, to automatically handle package installation, removal, and upgrades.
                      So inspired by, not based on.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                        From their wiki

So inspired by, not based on.
                        So I must have misread it. I'm always doing that nowadays. Must be getting old!

Comment

some of the lengths of the timelines show them as being discontinued when they are not.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                            some of the lengths of the timelines show them as being discontinued when they are not.

woodsmoke
                            Yay, woodsmoke is back!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post

woodsmoke
                              Like, say, Slax?

Comment

Working...
                              X