Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Has Ubuntu brought some structure...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
    I never had a borked system with Arch
    Obviously, you aren't even booting it then.

Comment

I removed Arch in May and then I switched to 12.04. The hassle I had with Arch is that at home, in South Africa, data is fairly slow, expensive and capped. Arch is so data hungry! I still love it though. By far the "coolest" Linux distro.

Comment

I started with redhat back in the mid 90s, when there was no easy install or package installation after the install. I tried Suse back then and ran factory 12.3 M2 with KDE RC1 until last weekend. I ran Mint for awhile but to be honest same issue as I have with Kubuntu, they are Ubuntu based and I don't like Ubuntu and detest Unity. Most of my time has been spent running debian. I like running sid but get tired of debians cater to our everything must be free or unbranded attitude. I ran LMDE for a bit but to be honest I'm not a fan of debian testing. I think sid is more stable.

I think Ubuntu has done stuff to promote linux, but the same can said for redhat, debian, slackware and a lot of other disros.

I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to..... What are you going to use the sysem for? How much effort are you willing to put into trouble shooting problems? Are you willing to work from the console or do you want all gui based? It comes down to preferences, and need. Lord knows there are enough distros out there to suit about anybody. Just look on Distrowatch it's like going to WalMart looking for a toothbrush.

I've seen good and bad in all the distros I have used. Now I'm looking for something that will work with my synaptiks sensitive touchpad and I can put on my wife's laptop that is stable and hassle free.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
          I started with redhat back in the mid 90s, when there was no easy install or package installation after the install. I tried Suse back then and ran factory 12.3 M2 with KDE RC1 until last weekend. I ran Mint for awhile but to be honest same issue as I have with Kubuntu, they are Ubuntu based and I don't like Ubuntu and detest Unity. Most of my time has been spent running debian. I like running sid but get tired of debians cater to our everything must be free or unbranded attitude. I ran LMDE for a bit but to be honest I'm not a fan of debian testing. I think sid is more stable.

I think Ubuntu has done stuff to promote linux, but the same can said for redhat, debian, slackware and a lot of other disros.

I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to..... What are you going to use the sysem for? How much effort are you willing to put into trouble shooting problems? Are you willing to work from the console or do you want all gui based? It comes down to preferences, and need. Lord knows there are enough distros out there to suit about anybody. Just look on Distrowatch it's like going to WalMart looking for a toothbrush.

I've seen good and bad in all the distros I have used. Now I'm looking for something that will work with my synaptiks sensitive touchpad and I can put on my wife's laptop that is stable and hassle free.
          Good reply, well said. I think Ubuntu gets most of its credibility because it's backed by Canonical, Mint's popularity is due to making Ubuntu out-of-the-box Joe/Jane user friendly and pretty (scripts for noobs, not that there is anything wrong with that, lol). I never really liked the actual Ubuntu distro, it was always ugly and somewhat confusing (things that should have worked didn't, with their army of coders, Ubuntu seems like another MS, only they use a free kernel), but they did bring a brand and attention to Linux. I tried what I think was Red Hat or Fedora back in 2004 I believe, it was an ugly/buggy mess, I don't know what it's like now, but it seems bleeding edge = problems, couple that with rpm, blech.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
            Good reply, well said. I think Ubuntu gets most of its credibility because it's backed by Canonical, Mint's popularity is due to making Ubuntu out-of-the-box Joe/Jane user friendly and pretty (scripts for noobs, not that there is anything wrong with that, lol). I never really liked the actual Ubuntu distro, it was always ugly and somewhat confusing (things that should have worked didn't, with their army of coders, Ubuntu seems like another MS, only they use a free kernel), but they did bring a brand and attention to Linux. I tried what I think was Red Hat or Fedora back in 2004 I believe, it was an ugly/buggy mess, I don't know what it's like now, but it seems bleeding edge = problems, couple that with rpm, blech.
            You can raise a bit of a stink on the Mint forums if you post that you changed your sources.list.d to only keep the mint make it pretty stuff, and then changed the main sources.list to Raring Ubuntu and added Kubuntu Repos.

I kind of thought everyone new that Ubuntu based distros were using the same repos adding one or two specific to their distro flavor. Oh well fresh install of Kubuntu last night. Think I'll leave my playing around with bleeding edge to debian.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
              You can raise a bit of a stink on the Mint forums if you post that you changed your sources.list.d to only keep the mint make it pretty stuff, and then changed the main sources.list to Raring Ubuntu and added Kubuntu Repos.

I kind of thought everyone new that Ubuntu based distros were using the same repos adding one or two specific to their distro flavor. Oh well fresh install of Kubuntu last night. Think I'll leave my playing around with bleeding edge to debian.
              I am a little confused by your reply, I was referring to the actual Ubuntu distro, any offshoot seems to improve on the mess they make, lol, including Kubuntu, my distro of choice. (pah! I just realized distro of choice is DOC like drug of choice, lol)

Comment

What's with the timer/count down on www.ubuntu.com ? Looks like something big ...

"So close, you can 06:46:50 almost touch it."

... something about to happen at 19:00 CET....

b.r

Jonas
                ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                  What's with the timer/count down on www.ubuntu.com ? Looks like something big ...

"So close, you can 06:46:50 almost touch it."

... something about to happen at 19:00 CET....

b.r

Jonas
                  Yeah, weird, but I think maybe "touch it" is a clue, Ubuntu for smartphones release? Thanks for posting Jonas.

Edit: Some speculation... http://www.monstertechblog.com/2013/...touch-support/
                  Last edited by tek_heretik; Jan 02, 2013, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                    Yeah, weird, but I think maybe "touch it" is a clue, Ubuntu for smartphones release? Thanks for posting Jonas.

Edit: Some speculation... http://www.monstertechblog.com/2013/...touch-support/
                    Yea, I would think it's some kind of hardware deal where canonical got first dibs on a software solution to manufacturer .. a guess would be Lenovo on mobile phone and tablet?

Is touch support such a big deal? Haven't that been around on Active-One already?

Well ... I hope for something that'll brake conventions! .. or else *fist of fuuurious anger*

b.r

Jonas
                    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                    X