Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who don't give specifications for their system when asked make everyone think the problem is PEBKAC. So perhaps you're better off elsewhere.
    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Happy to see you got it working. Kubuntu is really stable for me. I think you will see that but I am using intel. I have heard that nvidia need some massaging.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
        People who don't give specifications for their system when asked make everyone think the problem is PEBKAC. So perhaps you're better off elsewhere.
        Where did that come from?

I gave the hardware info when asked. My hardware is old, LGA 775 architecture. I don't think there's any problems with it with any of the recent distributions out there. Asus P5Q, Q6600, Nvidia GeForce 7-series and Audigy 2ZS sound card. USB headset is Logitech H530. I think someone on the forum has the same one.

I believe Nvidia is going to stop supporting the 7-series so I'll only have a legacy or nouveau driver option eventually. I think 304 is the last driver that will support my Nvdia card so I said I want to upgrade it.

Comment

I did some looking, you're certainly not alone with having problems with the install, and it's not isolated to Kubuntu. A browse through Ubuntu, Lubuntu and some of the other 'buntu forums shows it happens there too. Different hardware, different circumstances, but same end result, a hang during install. The thing they all have in common is ubiquity, the 'buntu installer. So I did a little checking there. This might interest you, it's the bug tracking system on Launchpad for ubiquity.
          Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

I do suggest using the usb-creator tool if one has a flash drive and can boot from one, I find that some utilities to make isos, etc (never heard of YUMI) can be a possible culprit.

I do second the suggestion to give an LTS a go. A vast majority of people do not have the issues you are facing, so trying a different version can help rule out some bugaboos. If burning discs try it at a slower speed, and make sure you are checking the md5sum of the iso before burning/copying (not sure if that is always clearly mentioned)

Comment

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post

I gave the hardware info when asked. My hardware is old, LGA 775 architecture. I don't think there's any problems with it with any of the recent distributions out there. Asus P5Q, Q6600, Nvidia GeForce 7-series and Audigy 2ZS sound card. USB headset is Logitech H530. I think someone on the forum has the same one.
              I didn't notice this info here in this thread Not all of us are like Snowhog, even a sleep-hater like me dozes off once in a while when I am not working odd hours

Comment

I do apologize sincerely, as I did not have the last few posts showing up here for some reason. Seems to be a browser problem for me. I have no clue why they didn't show up.
                The important thing is that you're up and running. If you had mentioned that a USB HDD was hooked up I for one would have suggested that it be turned off or unplugged while dealing with your problem. Just one of the reasons that specs are so important.
                I'd also second the suggestion to use the 12.04 LTS version. They continue to fix and polish things for a long time.
                GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                X