This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure

I tried to give Kubuntu 12.10 a try. It looked promising. Alas, it's another example of something with intriguing exterior and good PR. I want to go back to KDE and have used Ubuntu and Debian before.

Seemed like a good choice.

But, the installer is one of the most atrocious things I've come across. I have encountered the 'kde' spinning wheels before when nothng happens and the installer does this as well.

Also, it's a really poor execution to force anyone trying the distro out to keep installing Firefox. It's annoying. I couldn't log in with the default browser for some strange reason so I had to install Firefox. I'm giving a thumbs down as I'm thoroughly disappointed. I didn't expect this from one of the *ubuntus. I don't what is going on with this project but I expected to get past the installer.

Good day.

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
    I tried to give Kubuntu 12.10 a try. It looked promising. Alas, it's another example of something with intriguing exterior and good PR. I want to go back to KDE and have used Ubuntu and Debian before.

Seemed like a good choice.

But, the installer is one of the most atrocious things I've come across. I have encountered the 'kde' spinning wheels before when nothng happens and the installer does this as well.

Also, it's a really poor execution to force anyone trying the distro out to keep installing Firefox. It's annoying. I couldn't log in with the default browser for some strange reason so I had to install Firefox. I'm giving a thumbs down as I'm thoroughly disappointed. I didn't expect this from one of the *ubuntus. I don't what is going on with this project but I expected to get past the installer.

Good day.
    I didn't suffer from any of these issues. What hardware are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
      I didn't suffer from any of these issues. What hardware are you using?
      Nothing special. It's old by today's standards. Asus P5Q mobo, Q6600 cpu and Geforce 7-series video card that I hope to upgrade soon.

I used YUMI MULTIBOOT to copy Kubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint KDE on a usb stick. I just checked the MD5SUM and they don't match so I'm downloading the .iso from the central site. I'll burn to DVD and try it once more. Looks like it's going to take 2 hrs, though.

I usually use dd but then I only have one distro on a usb stick. Probably should have done it that way.

Sorry for the tone but it's frustrating when you can't get past the initial stages of just the install.

Anyway, 'will give it one more shot.

Comment

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Try partitioning outside of the Installer. I'd also recommend not booting the Live system to install. Just choose Install Kubuntu at the GRUB boot screen.

My sig has my Desktop which has 12.10 installed. It runs really crappy when the install is first booted. You need to install the proprietary nvidia drivers to get decent response. That's under System/Additional Drivers. Then it runs fine.

I did have to use noacpi and whatever the bottom choice in that category was on the original LiveDVD boot to get it booted.
          Last edited by luckyone; Dec 01, 2012, 07:39 PM.
          GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Do you happen to have a RAID setup? Raid failed for me on my last install on my desktop. I had to remove dmraid to resolve the issue of the installer hanging. Just throwing that out there as a possibility, though it may be something else entirely.

Comment

Nope, no deal. Kubuntu is officially a failure. Sorry, but, I went through everything that one can recommend. I burned the iso to the DVD. I checked the md5sum and it matched.

I went through the install and noted the screen in which you can try the distro or install. Funny, how it wasn't shown when I booted the one on YUMI.

There's no way it should ever hang on that step during the install. I didn't even get to the drive configuration. Also, when trying Firefox, I got the message again that something was using the package system yet I didn't do anything but close/quit the install process.

This distro is so buggy, it's not even funny. Makes me think that there's even worse stuff going on once it's installed. I guess since it has no resources or funding from Canonical anymore, that it has deteriorated somewhat.

Well, it was an interesting experiment but I heard good things about Kubuntu. Not sure where they're getting it from.

Maybe Mint implements a KDE spin much better? I'll see what it does.

P.S. it's been a while since I've had any trouble with just getting past the first stage of an install of any OS installer. I've tried quite a few, too. This is probably the worst one.
              Last edited by kdeputer; Dec 01, 2012, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyered80 View Post
                Do you happen to have a RAID setup? Raid failed for me on my last install on my desktop. I had to remove dmraid to resolve the issue of the installer hanging. Just throwing that out there as a possibility, though it may be something else entirely.
                No, I have nothing complicated going on. There is nothing about my hardware that is preventing the install!

Comment

If you are really serious about your interest (ref.: Post #1), why are you not trying 12.04 LTS, just for the heck of it (given all your investment of time)?
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit dual booting with Windows 7 on an almost 4 y.o. HP m9600t (Core i7 920, 6 GB RAM, nVidia GT430) and a lone 32 bit install on a 6 or 7 y.o. Gateway (P4 3 GB CPU, GB RAM, nVidia 9600 GTS). For both systems I was able to install on the first try from ISOs burned to DVDs. Kubuntu 12.10 works very well on both machines. I wish I could offer you some advice, but this distro version does install and work well on older equipment. I hope some of these fine folks here who actually know what they are doing pipe in with some quality advice to help you. Don't give up yet.
                    Linux User #454271

Comment

Sorry, I hope you guys don't hate me yet! It's really weird. I got through the install but it was almost like last time. But, all of a sudden, it showed the next screen. I had a hunch and actually clicked quit. Why? Well, I have an 'external drive' in an enclosure (HDD in enclosure) connected and I think it was having trouble scanning it or something. But, when I clicked through the steps again, it didn't stop forever at the Prepare page. It showed the spinning wheels but moved on to the Disk page.

I thought I might have chosen the wrong part of the drive for installing Grub (wanted MBR) but it booted and showed the other operating sytems. I still have some questions regarding that.

Anyway, I'm not sure what was going on. Anyone have any theories or at least, do you understand what I meant about the 'hanging' at the Prepare screen? :-)

Am I crazy? I still think it's peculiar and I don't think it should be behaving that way no matter what my hardware is or what I'm doing. Right?

Well, thanks for replying and hanging with me. Man, that was frustrating but what bothers me the most is that I am not sure what was going on.

Comment

For me, working through the screens before the install starts always seems to take a long time, then the actual install just whizzes through. I'm glad you made it this time.
                        Linux User #454271

Comment

Thanks. My USB headset is working, too. I had to move the USB headset to the top in the Device Preferences section. Also, I might have made a change in Audio Hardware Setup. I didn't have sound for youtube but after a few options changes, I suddenly had sound.

Comment

Sorry, I hope you guys don't hate me yet! It's really weird. I got through the install but it was almost like last time. But, all of a sudden, it showed the next screen. I had a hunch and actually clicked quit. Why? Well, I have an 'external drive' in an enclosure (HDD in enclosure) connected and I think it was having trouble scanning it or something. But, when I clicked through the steps again, it didn't stop forever at the Prepare page. It showed the spinning wheels but moved on to the Disk page.
                            Humm it dose sound like the external disk was giving the partitioning part of the installer some trouble.

I thought I might have chosen the wrong part of the drive for installing Grub (wanted MBR) but it booted and showed the other operating sytems. I still have some questions regarding that.
                            maby ,,, but Grub from your install should have picked up your installs.

Anyway, I'm not sure what was going on. Anyone have any theories or at least, do you understand what I meant about the 'hanging' at the Prepare screen? :-)
                            yes I have seen the eternal wheels before.......and not just in the installer , but not often

Am I crazy? I still think it's peculiar and I don't think it should be behaving that way no matter what my hardware is or what I'm doing. Right?
                            well ,,,,,some things can interfere with most installers given the right circumstances but I understand how as a first experience it might throw some one off

Well, thanks for replying and hanging with me. Man, that was frustrating but what bothers me the most is that I am not sure what was going on.
                            it was probably the external HD , it worked right after you unplugged it .......right

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              well ,,,,,some things can interfere with most installers given the right circumstances but I understand how as a first experience it might throw some one off

it was probably the external HD , it worked right after you unplugged it .......right

VINNY
                              I assume so. It worked before but it took so long and I wanted to test it. Besides, I didn't want to risk it hanging there during the install. I noticed the LED going dim a bit and coming back on so it seemed, it was trying to access it. It isn't needed for the install so I thought it couldn't hurt and wanted to take it out of the equation.

It seemed to make a difference but I'm only guessing. Anyway, it ultimately worked but wasn't all that smooth. If I did anything wrong, I'm not aware of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X