This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.10 true story...

Everybody loves stories right? Lol. Anyway, brought an Asus/P4 1.7GHz clunker back to life for schizz n giggles, bought a cheap case, a 1 gig stick of RAM and I poop you not, a GeForce 6200 PCI slot video card (they had no 4X AGP cards), the Riva TNT 64 (32MB) just wasn't cutting it.

What freaked me out was...11.10 installed and ran ok but, after doing a full update, it broke, reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal sluggish UI (like no sliding desktop icon animation, etc, nada, nothing) for 2 minutes at a time, this is even with a ton of candy turned off. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, a few modules in System Settings refused to work too, major ones actually, to me anyway, they were Power Management and Startup and Shutdown/Service Manager.

Here is the irony, no updates, fine, installed kubuntu-low-fat-settings, even better.

The moral of this story is, if it aint broke, DON'T 'FIX' IT.

Edit: Forgot to mention, wanted to run 12.04.1 but it seems any newer kernel doesn't like my 11 year old D-Link DL10050 Sundance Ethernet PCI adapter, it would appear the driver has been deprecated, hence the fall back to Kubuntu 11.10, probably a good thing anyway, need at least a dual-core to run ANYTHING modern. =/

Edit 2: As you read above, this is an old pooper (P4 1.7GHz)...Firefox is ok on a full-bore system, but on this thing, blech, installed Chromium, waaaaaaaaaaaay faster, and things like flash and java seem better in it too, too bad it's a snoopy Google app, oh well, that's the price ya pay for free stuff. :-/
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Nov 17, 2012, 04:03 PM.

Oh, no; the real statement is, "If you haven't broke it, you haven't tried hard enough." :eek:
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Oh, no; the real statement is, "If you haven't broke it, you haven't tried hard enough." :eek:
      Pah ha, oh I broke it alright, several times, lol, was just about to get out an abandoned lonely XP Home disk and decided to give it one more try WITHOUT the updates, SUCCESS! (and no XP 'torture', lol)

Comment

Working...
      X