This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    look at gnome-do it works ok on my Ubuntu-12.04 that uses the "classic gnome" log in insted of unity
    Fall Back mode (what looks like GNOME 2) is going away in GNOME 3.8. Mostly because the requirement of having accelerated graphics will be dropped; Mutter (the GNOME window manager) will be extended to work with LLVM (which provides CPU-based compositing).

Comment

Unity, in and of itself, is not too bad. But you can't help but look at it and compare it to Gnome 3/Shell, and wonder why they needed to do it. They are different in some ways, but far too similar in others. I just feel, considering the amount of energy they are putting into Unity, that it would have been better spent in the actual distro itself rather than the interface. I mean, look at this FFS. As a Kubuntu user I had no idea that Ubuntu had borked up such a fundamental part of using the OS. I'm shocked that after all their amazing work over the years, they dropped the ball on this and then still released it. I would have expected to see a tutorial of this nature in 2005, not 2012. Thank God for the sanity of Kubuntu, and I hope this problem doesn't trickle down to us.

Anyway, to me there is nothing about Gnome 3/Shell that they could not have tailored to their requirements to make it more uniquely "Ubuntu" imho. It's a lot of effort for what real gain?
      PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Working...
      X