This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-Project View Post
    I often hear that some feel it "looks like Windows", so they keep away.
    This is something I could never quite understand. I never felt KDE was/looked like Windows, other than it has a desktop, uses applications windows (but doesn't all DE's?), and had the taskbar/menu on the bottom of the screen. A similar idea would be like say GNOME 2 looked to much like Mac OS, "oh no! I'm staying away from that!" LOL Absurd. Now I do realize the default theme in the earlier KDE 4.x releases had a Vista-esque look, but that was it. I think this idea is pure FUD.

Originally posted by K-Project View Post
    What a terrific blessing, that after a tumultuous past couple of years, I can have a distro that's "boring"! Long live boring, that's all I can say.
    Agreed. Sometimes boring can be fun!
    Last edited by benny_fletch; Nov 08, 2012, 10:57 AM.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
      You could always invite someone to remote in and delete some important system files, you know, if it helps
      Oh no - I'm quite good at that myself thank you

I think I'll have to entertain myself in other ways. Currently, I'm quite busy at work but it should let up in the next few months. I'm trying to learn (harder to do as you get older ) pyqt4. I'd like to program a real disk management tool for us (like the older versions of gnome disk utility) and a NFS graphical setup tool and possibly a port aggregation tool but I'm afraid I'm the only one who uses most of these things anyway.

Please Read Me

Comment

I think an NFS GUI would be huge, not only for us, but I am sure other distro's would be interested in it as well. A graphical front end for NFS has been sorely missing for too long. If you decide to do this let me know, I will help in any way I can (I'll test it for sure!).

I just found this article, it is how to use Webmin to setup NFS, its interface might give you some ideas on how you would want to setup your GUI.
        http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Config...igure-NFS.html
        Last edited by benny_fletch; Nov 08, 2012, 11:51 AM. Reason: added article
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

PeanutLinux (aLinux) does have more of a windows feel; Lycoris Desktop/LX did too, but there is only a slight resemblance in stock KDE and the Windoze GUI.
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Why I broke down and bought this! http://www.amazon.com/Rikomagic-Gene.../dp/B0091UHMHO

Couldn't really afford it but I agree... I had nothing to play with. So now I'm trying to get Lubuntu working on it via a 12.04 image made for it.

Comment

siduction should get real interesting once Debian Wheezy is released and the newer packages start flowing into the sid repos. Right now it's pretty quiet too, except for the occasional multiarch breakage.

Comment

It's not too hard to find something that will give some 'excitement'. But I really like something that is totally stable for day to day usage. Surprises when you are doing something that's important doesn't really feel good. If I'm gonna be surprised I'd rather pick the times that I don't mind being surprised.
                GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

That's why you should keep a separate 'experimental' install, you don't need Windows to dual boot!

Comment

Of course. My 500 GB HDD has 13 partitions for such experiences. Currently one has the Plasma Media Center installed on kubuntu 12.10.

But I'm not as big a 'tester' as I used to be. But I still keep several distributions handy. You might take a look at the current Alpha 2 of SimplyMEPIS. it's a little rough and incomplete but usable.
                    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

You don't need another distribution, just use your current distribution the same way that we used it back in the 90's. Just update your apps the "old fashion" way by compiling / building from source. If you compiled all your software it should make using your distribution more interesting.

Comment

I have been looking too, so I installed Kubuntu 13.04.
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
                          Of course. My 500 GB HDD has 13 partitions for such experiences. Currently one has the Plasma Media Center installed on kubuntu 12.10.

But I'm not as big a 'tester' as I used to be. But I still keep several distributions handy. You might take a look at the current Alpha 2 of SimplyMEPIS. it's a little rough and incomplete but usable.
                          One of my latest "adventures" is figuring out that I can boot to multiple installs on the same btrfs filesystem. With the exception of swap and VM drives, Partitions are a thing of the past!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                            You don't need another distribution, just use your current distribution the same way that we used it back in the 90's. Just update your apps the "old fashion" way by compiling / building from source. If you compiled all your software it should make using your distribution more interesting.

Didn't know that was considered 'old fashioned'. To get my old printer, an HP 722C, up and running I had to compile/install it's driver. Heck of a way to get introduced to Linux. It took me three tries to complete. A great 'learning experience' I suppose.

Nowadays if I'm in the mood I use Sabayon for that. You might try it. Not a bad distro.

Comment

I remember compiling my own kernel to reduce it's size. THAT's a good way to learn patience.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X