X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might have to find a new distro...

...this one has just gotten so boring.

This morning I was reminsing about the "good ole' days" when I would have to muck around with xorg.conf for days to get my video working, about a week to get audio, and wifi? Forget about it!

Currently, I have a 6 year old desktop as my primary computer and everything works as expected right after install. Is it perfect? Of course not - nothing is, but I'm amazed at how little I have to do to get Kubuntu working on every computer I install it on. It's been mostly this way since 10.04 and only gets better with each release.

If it wasn't for my penchant for using both my ethernet ports together and using raid or btrfs and having five drives in various configurations and dual video cards and monitors and triple booting and attacking my server daily I'd have nothing to do at all!

Please Read Me

I'll let the Gentoo folks know you're heading over.

Comment

Same here, Fresh install of 12.10, I have not had a crash yet. I do get a kick out of trying to solve a problem. (Sometimes )
      Rob

Comment

You could always invite someone to remote in and delete some important system files, you know, if it helps
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
          You could always invite someone to remote in and delete some important system files, you know, if it helps
          O, o, o... can I do it I could create hours of `fun` for you in the matter of minutes

There are far more subtle ways then just deleting files

Comment

Well then, I am looking for help why in Kaffeine sometimes the Channels from the Hotbird Satellite are not performing (it looks like they are not even recognised. In my 12.04 both satellites Astra and Hotbird are performing perfect. If you want, I am absolutely happy to open a new thread.
            Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
            I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
              Well then, I am looking for help why in Kaffeine sometimes the Channels from the Hotbird Satellite are not performing (it looks like they are not even recognised. In my 12.04 both satellites Astra and Hotbird are performing perfect. If you want, I am absolutely happy to open a new thread.
              That is what these forums are for so go for it.

Comment

yes ,,,,,boring as hell hear in Kubuland ,,,,,,think I'll throw Slackware on the testing partition and have a geek fest week or so getting my ~/ to be able to use the system ....LOL

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  I'll let the Gentoo folks know you're heading over.
                  HA...

Comment

You could try Arch. Stuff has been breaking there quite a bit lately with all the big changes they've made. Although a fresh install won't make you endure any of them. (I was an Arch user whose system got repeatedly borked and I still boot into it occasionally.)

For some real excitement you could use Fedora Rawhide. It breaks every week or two from what I have heard but I've never honestly used it.

Comment

You could move to the repos for 13.04 if you're "raring" to try it. That is, if those repos are up already.
                      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
                        You could move to the repos for 13.04 if you're "raring" to try it. That is, if those repos are up already.
                        http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/raring/

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Nothing is breaking yet in 13.04, but I don't think many real changes have been pushed at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                            Originally posted by james147 View Post
                            That is what these forums are for so go for it.
                            OK, thanks. So I did. Look here.
                            Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                            I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

What a terrific blessing, that after a tumultuous past couple of years, I can have a distro that's "boring"! Long live boring, that's all I can say.

It feels to me like KDE has whisked in at the last minute to rescue Linux desktops from insanity, and Kubuntu is benefitting from this. I'll never understand why some Linux users seem to drive around it. I often hear that some feel it "looks like Windows", so they keep away.

Madness.
                              PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Working...
                              X