This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement server recomendations

My server has recently died (it has been on its last legs for a while now) and I am looking for a replacement. I think that the motherboard has gone so basically looking for a complete replacement (other then the hard disk drives that is).

I don't mind a motherboard/cpu/ram bundle or a completed units as long as it meets the basic requirements below. I was looking into home/small business servers, but a desktop that matches the requirements would also do.

My price range is around £200-400

Basic Requirements:
    • 4+ SATA ports
    • Max of 8 or more ram
    • Processor capable of virtualisation
    • Gigabit network port

Features that would be nice to have:
    • USB 3.0 ports (or a pcie slot to plug the one I have in)
    • Integrated graphics card
    • 6+ SATA ports
    • Hot swap hdd bays/Easy way to remove the drives
    • Quite (it sits in our living room next to the tv)
    • Low power (it is on all the time)

Features it does not need (ie things I don't want to pay loads extra for):
    • Operating system (no one likes the windows tax)
    • DVD/CD rom (I never use them)
    • PCIe graphics card (so long as it has an integrated one)
    • Included HDD (I already have loads of these)

I am very flexible with everything but the basic requirements listed above.

The server will run a number of services including a network file store, torrent program, minecraft server, qemu vm, web server and anything else I feel like experimenting with

Can anyone suggest something that matches these requirements? Or have any other advice?

And thank you for any input
    Last edited by james147; Nov 04, 2012, 06:08 PM.

sounds like you would be best off building your own box ......strip your current case keep the PSU get a new MOBO and a new CPU like the new Intel core I3-5-7's thay have core integrated GPU's if the MOBO dosent have any ,and some new RAM if your existing dosent work with the new MOBO .............well 1 idea anyway

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That is probably what I will end up doing, though it would be nice to get a micro tower and hot swap bays which my current box cannot do.

Some recommendations for a low powered mobo+cpu would be nice... I am normally building them the other way around

Comment

If your mobo died, I'd suggest some suspicion be cast on the power supply; it may have stressed the mobo. Perhaps a local box shifter has a power supply tester?

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X