This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S., re religion ...

For our Christian friends here, if you haven't already read it, you might wish to read the classic, The Imitation of Christ, by the Christian mystic Thomas a Kempis. And to supplement your modern materials, try something like the Dutch catechism, "A New Catechism," Herder and Herder, 1967; yep, complete w/Imprimatur: 1966 Bernardus Cardinal Alfrink. (This is more of an existentially-based treatment, starting with a summary of the world's religions and viewing Christ first as a man who appeared as he did.)
    And, of course, more generally, re myth and philosophy and belief, including religions, who else but Joseph Campbell, in book and recordings,
    http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Campbel...253&sr=8-2-ent
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      I do not understand why faith and science cannot coexist. There are atheists out there who are no different from some evangelicals, who pounce on any reference to a god or faith. They have become quite as obnoxious as any of the obnoxious or nasty sects out there. Lumping everyone of faith in with those of one particular small corner of a religion is ludicrous and plain wrong. I say this as an atheist (or rather someone who simply doesn't give 2 flying figs if there is a deity or not, and would not 'worship' one even if there we, and wire).

Atheism is developing into its own faith, even a religion of sorts, with its own dogma and mantra. In other words, many of you hardcore godless folks are becoming the very thing you shout against in many ways. You have faith in the science, or rather the Word of the Scientists quite often. So lighten up. When someone says "thank god more people weren't hurt in the hurricane" or "I pray for those who lost their lives in the Hurricane" or whatever, LIGHTEN UP and stop being mindless knee-jerk jerks!!

And those of you out there who bash Unity, while thinking Gnome 3.6 is pretty good are just plain..............................stupid? morons? idiots? OMG!!!!!

So this, and I'm a Catholic. As I've said before, the Church accepts evolution and the big-bang theory (with the latter being drawn up by a Catholic priest-astronomer, no less ).

Good one on the last part about GNOME
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

If it was me that offended you, I am truly sorry, politics and/or religion is no reason to part ways with FRIENDS, you are missed. =/

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
          Check your history. It wasn't about taxes as you understand them.

And (I'm not Catholic) Transubstantiation is spiritual in nature. Not physical.

All that said, I find the most dangerous thing in the world is religion. When people believe in something that's not part of the physical world they seem to be lost. And then other people come along and show them a book that's 1400 (Islam didn't have anything written for 200-300 years after Muhammad died), 1800 (Christianity didn't have anything written for about 200 CE years), or most of 3000 (Hebrews had parts of there bible around 1600 BCE) years old and tell them it's divinely inspired and therefore the only Truth. It makes doing anything they want to people that are outside of their 'faith' targets of various kinds.

The most dangerous thing in the world is someone that believes they are right without physical proof.
          I have to disagree. I don't think the most dangerous thing in the world is religion at all. Nor do I think it's atheism. I think the most dangerous thing in the world is ignorance.

You don't have to be religious to be ignorant. You don't have to be uneducated to be ignorant. You don't have to be living in a secluded cabin in the middle of the south to be ignorant. You can live in the middle of New York City, have a phd, and travel the world and be ignorant as hell.

I do try not to be ignorant. I've held biases and have argued them. And then I do research to prove my biases and I end up realizing that I was wrong. Smoking for instance: I believed that smoking wasn't as bad for you as the Surgeon General claimed. Well, you know how that went when I did my own research.

Now matter what my biases are, I always have a backdoor in my mind that I can open and let new information in. In this way, I hope that whatever ignorance I still have, will soon be replaced by knowledge.

Comment

Working...
          X